Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 02:59 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,618,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
"The researchers analyzed data from 5,563 face-to-face interviews conducted in the National Comorbidity Study Replication (NCS-R), a nationally representative survey of mental disorders in the U.S. led by Harvard..." Guns, Impulsive Angry Behavior, and Mental Disorders: Results from the National Comorbidity Survey Replication (NCS-R) - Swanson - 2015 - Behavioral Sciences & the Law - Wiley Online Library

"Access to guns" means owning a gun, as well as carrying one outside the home. It doesn't mean ability to purchase a firearm.
  • Exactly what I said. It's a survey and subject to the party saying whatever they want. Like asking someone if they think they are fat. Maybe you don't understand what is involved in proper clinical research.
  • No it doesn't mean that. But I do agree the entire report is weasel worded enough to make one think that 10% of Americans are running around crazy and firing guns at the rest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2015, 03:17 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,607,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
I don't. I could gain access, but at this point in time, I know of no guns that I have access to.

Having a right and having access are different things.

Where do you live? I bet I could go there and have a gun in my hands in less than 12 hours.

Old 04-10-2015, 04:11 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,991,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Where do you live? I bet I could go there and have a gun in my hands in less than 12 hours.
exactly. Access is a strange word to use for this type of study. Owning guns would be better. Access could simply mean going down to your local walmart and buying a shotgun.

Old 04-10-2015, 04:36 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,948,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Almost one in 10 Americans has a history of impulsive and angry behavior and ready access to guns, new research indicates.

The serious mental health issues that would legally prevent someone from purchasing a gun -- such as involuntary commitment to a psychiatric ward for schizophrenia or bipolar disorder -- only account for about 4 percent of U.S. gun violence, noted study author Jeffrey Swanson.

Almost 1 in 10 Americans has anger issues and access to guns, study finds - CBS News
Those same people have access to knives, hammers, cars, household poisons, drills, chainsaws, hatches and believe it or not...

the Internet.

They also have access to children.

The list goes on and on.

Old 04-10-2015, 04:42 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,271,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Like I said, I could GAIN access, but I don't HAVE access. Where I live is irrelevant.

Old 04-10-2015, 05:44 PM

6,387 posts, read 6,275,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
The lead author, Jeffrey Swanson, Ph.D, has been pushing gun control for years, and the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation doesn't hide their politics when it comes to pushing new gun control laws.

The outcome of this "study" was predetermined from the day it was funded.
I think if that were the case, it would have been more than 1 in 10.

10% is not a surprising number to me.

Old 04-10-2015, 07:06 PM

26,723 posts, read 26,798,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
It's a survey and subject to the party saying whatever they want. Like asking someone if they think they are fat. Maybe you don't understand what is involved in proper clinical research.
I do. And while one might question the validity of self reported surveys, they are in fact used by those who gather data and who take that error into account.

Old 04-10-2015, 08:32 PM

468 posts, read 582,957 times
Default oh puleeze

Quote:
Almost one in 10 Americans has a history of impulsive and angry behavior and ready access to guns, new research indicates.

The serious mental health issues that would legally prevent someone from purchasing a gun -- such as involuntary commitment to a psychiatric ward for schizophrenia or bipolar disorder -- only account for about 4 percent of U.S. gun violence, noted study author Jeffrey Swanson.

Almost 1 in 10 Americans has anger issues and access to guns, study finds - CBS News
I think the people up on the food chain in DC should be taken a closer look as the damage they have done to the country causes an incredible stress. I am surprised the nation hasn't spazzed out under the damage done to the country in such a short time. Americans are holding up relatively well under the pressure of policies that are destroying the nation, within and without.

Old 04-10-2015, 10:08 PM

756 posts, read 833,879 times
Exclamation Guns Are Overrated:

Quote:

I think it is more than 1 out of 10.

Old 04-10-2015, 10:26 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,268,500 times
Quote:
And what are we going to do about it now, Johnny? My suggestion is to stay away from angry people with guns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events