Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 10:46 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,579,134 times

Advertisements

Almost one in 10 Americans has a history of impulsive and angry behavior and ready access to guns, new research indicates.

The serious mental health issues that would legally prevent someone from purchasing a gun -- such as involuntary commitment to a psychiatric ward for schizophrenia or bipolar disorder -- only account for about 4 percent of U.S. gun violence, noted study author Jeffrey Swanson.

Almost 1 in 10 Americans has anger issues and access to guns, study finds - CBS News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2015, 12:59 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,608,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Almost one in 10 Americans has a history of impulsive and angry behavior and ready access to guns, new research indicates.

The serious mental health issues that would legally prevent someone from purchasing a gun -- such as involuntary commitment to a psychiatric ward for schizophrenia or bipolar disorder -- only account for about 4 percent of U.S. gun violence, noted study author Jeffrey Swanson.

Almost 1 in 10 Americans has anger issues and access to guns, study finds - CBS News

LOL. CBS did not write that article. They simply parroted an opinion piece. It fulfills CBS's continuing agenda of reporting articles against gun ownership. Furthermore it wasn't a controlled research project. It was a survey.

This is the real article written by an outfit called "Healthday". This company is owned by another company, Scoutnews, which is owned by yet another company called Remedy Health Media. They make money from selling articles.

1 in 10 Americans Has Anger Issues and Access to Guns: Survey

IMO, it's nonsense.

Old 04-10-2015, 01:08 AM

3,515 posts, read 3,685,057 times
I'd say quite a people have anger issues, I have anger issues when I'm stuck in traffic quite a few mornings, that doesn't mean I'm going to automatically run out and shoot someone. This isn't much different than those all of a sudden trying to paint anyone and everyone who has ever suffered from a bout of depression as a potential homicidal maniac.

Old 04-10-2015, 02:37 AM

4,236 posts, read 8,137,399 times
Yeah, but 10 out of 10 Americans have access to a knife, bat, golf club, fists, etc

Old 04-10-2015, 03:37 AM

7,646 posts, read 9,946,114 times
Hogwash. That article makes every gun owner out to be a nut case waiting for a chance to do a mass shooting.

I'd say a lot of cops have anger and mental issues, recent events prove that.

I teach responsible self defense with firearms. A large part of my "legal aspects of concealed carry" class is about understanding and recognising anger, in ourselves, and others and how to deal with it. Everyone gets angry, but that doesn't mean theyvare going to grab a gun.

People with serious anger or self control issues are usually already felons, hence not legal gun owners.

I never had a gun owner kick in a wall in one of my rentals, but I have had plenty of ex cons do it. Give me a legal gn owner any day.

Old 04-10-2015, 03:50 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,039,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post

that's a %*& $#@! lie!

Old 04-10-2015, 04:22 AM

6,383 posts, read 6,271,884 times
Hopefully they are not angry AND impulsive with gun access. This is the golden ticket to homicides and suicides.

Old 04-10-2015, 07:15 AM

26,717 posts, read 26,782,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
CBS did not write that article. They simply parroted an opinion piece.
The study was from Duke University Medical Center and published in the journal Behavioral Sciences in the Law. Nearly one in ten U.S. adults have impulsive anger issues and access to guns -- ScienceDaily

Old 04-10-2015, 07:44 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,601,431 times
Let's run some numbers.

There are approximately 75 million adult gun owners in the US. ( https://www.justfacts.com/guncontrol.asp ).

If we go by that 1 in 10, it means that there are 7.5 million gun owners who fit into this category.

If 1% of those "snap" in a year and kill someone, we would have 75,000 people murdered with a gun each year. The actual number is around 8,500 ( Gun crime statistics by US state: download the data. Visualised | World news | The Guardian ), and that includes all the gun murders in robberies, gang violence, etc. I could not find a number for the "snapped" (impulse) category, but I'm guessing it's a fairly small percentage of that 8,500.

In other words, I'm not too worried about it.

Old 04-10-2015, 07:50 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,667,498 times
The lead author, Jeffrey Swanson, Ph.D, has been pushing gun control for years, and the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation doesn't hide their politics when it comes to pushing new gun control laws.

The outcome of this "study" was predetermined from the day it was funded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events