Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 10:58 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,214,590 times

Advertisements

Actually, making do on $29 in food stamps for meals in a week isn't all that tough. I can buy 7 pounds of chicken legs for less than $5 at my Asian supermarket. Also, 10 pounds of potatoes, 2 dozen eggs, a gallon of milk, assorted vegetables, bread, butter, and a few junk food items would still leave me short of $29 (I'd have about $4 leftover). There's even vegetarian/vegan options that I could buy that would last the week at similar prices. If you're struggling to live on $29 in food stamps (note, you'd be getting more if you have dependents) per week, then you're probably doing something wrong, which mostly means failing to shop at the least expensive supermarkets/get the best deals. I was once in that situation, going to the local Pathmark, etc., buying seriously marked up goods. The Chinese supermarket sells fruits, veggies, meats, seafood, etc. for SO much cheaper than their competition, but many not many non-Chinese residents have caught on to this and similar hidden gems. Don't shop at Wholefoods, etc., and expect that $29 to last.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2015, 11:16 PM

42,845 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Actually, making do on $29 in food stamps for meals in a week isn't all that tough. I can buy 7 pounds of chicken legs for less than $5 at my Asian supermarket. Also, 10 pounds of potatoes, 2 dozen eggs, a gallon of milk, assorted vegetables, bread, butter, and a few junk food items would still leave me short of $29 (I'd have about $4 leftover). There's even vegetarian/vegan options that I could buy that would last the week at similar prices. If you're struggling to live on $29 in food stamps (note, you'd be getting more if you have dependents) per week, then you're probably doing something wrong, which mostly means failing to shop at the least expensive supermarkets/get the best deals. I was once in that situation, going to the local Pathmark, etc., buying seriously marked up goods. The Chinese supermarket sells fruits, veggies, meats, seafood, etc. for SO much cheaper than their competition, but many not many non-Chinese residents have caught on to this and similar hidden gems. Don't shop at Wholefoods, etc., and expect that $29 to last.
When I lived in Reno the Mexican groceries had insanely cheap produce, and they were among the only stores that still had a full service butcher counter which was great since there's only 2 of us and we don't need an 8 pound roast.

Old 04-13-2015, 12:28 AM

1,284 posts, read 1,260,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Nahhh, I think she has a good heart, and was trying her best to help people see it was do-able. Which it is, if you are smart and have cooking skills, easy access to a supermarket, and can tolerate a starchy diet without becoming diabetic (I attribute my own diabetes to a cheap high-starch diet, even though I was careful to get enough protein and vitamins.)
She's a stuck up little twit trying to show poor people how effing superior she is at preparing healthy food for less money.

She won't prepare a lick of it, her personal chef will

She makes me sick to my stomach.

Old 04-13-2015, 05:26 AM

2,443 posts, read 2,869,148 times
Years ago I moved from NY to Atlanta for a job that paid very poorly, not relaizing that even with chepaer rents the pay was pathetic. (it was my first job in a new profession). I had only $15 a week for food; I did pretty well, eating canned beans, mac and cheese, and chicken for main courses, as well as the occasional ground beef. I only shopped on sale, and still do. The $29 is probably equivalent in today's dollars.

Old 04-13-2015, 05:29 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,822,859 times
So now she wants us to believe that she can "pretend to be someone who makes $25,000 a year?"

Old 04-13-2015, 05:39 AM

1,284 posts, read 1,260,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
So now she wants us to believe that she can "pretend to be someone who makes $25,000 a year?"
Exactly.

She is a disgusting human being. Narcissistic B*tch

Old 04-13-2015, 06:39 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,313,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Well, I'm sure her personal chef can make tasty meals from that. The poor millionaire celebrity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
What’s this public relations stunt all about?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
I'll go with publicity stunt.
Yeah, it does seem lately that Gwyneth has far too much *time on her hands. Not for nothing but I did google her name and she is 'in the news' every single month. Sheesh, get a life, go incognito and under the radar and volunteer somewhere. And if I see another commercial with her mom pushing an osteoporosis Rx...well, I'll just hit mute again.

Apr 5, 2015
April 03, 2015
Mar 8, 2015
Feb 27, 2015
Jan 2, 2015
Jan 23, 2015
Jan 29, 2015
Dec 31, 2014
Nov 7, 2014
Oct 13, 2014
Oct 3, 2014

* (Yeah, I know, maybe it is I who has far too much time on my hands; for this morning anyway.)

Old 04-13-2015, 06:48 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,282,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Depends where you are, too. Here, I can't get that price for chicken at the ethnic stores, but can maybe come close on a good grocery sale. Ten pounds of potatoes is generally $3 and up, milk is $3.29 at the cheapest store nearby. Butter goes on sale for $2.50/lb sometimes, but is usually closer to $4.

Shopping at the least expensive markets frequently requires multiple trips; it's what we do, and we're not on SNAP. But we have a car, and everything's reasonably close. Pathmark is the closest, but it's also a pretty expensive store, with some occasional good deals.

Old 04-13-2015, 10:02 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,607,699 times
I wonder if she'll start telling the studios that she'll only do a film if everyone is paid the same?

I'd imagine it should be quite easy to get all of the stars, directors and producers to agree that the pay should be divided up by the number of people working on the movie and distributed in an equal manner.

Old 04-13-2015, 10:06 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
She's an arrogant turd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events