Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 07:21 PM

78,366 posts, read 60,566,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
^^THIS. Exactly. People are the same. There have always been child predators. There's just more media coverage about it and it scares parents.
Hard to say.

There has been one or two guys trying to get 10-13yo girls into a vehicle within 2-3 miles of my house on and off for the last couple years.

AFAIK they remain uncaught.

Me personally, I believe in more child freedoms and that we coddle them too much. As a result, I don't really support this law.

However, the ludicrous claims of racism and other random stupidity are no better.

P.S. I rode to school myself at age 10 on a bike. I had my own GUN at age 11 and often shot it alone in the woods etc etc etc. I'm going to side with the parents on this one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2015, 07:29 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,580,886 times
I honestly don't see what's wrong with letting your kids walk home from school. They're not walking through "the hood," with gunshots whizzing in the air. A lot of kids, though, in "the hood," walk to and from school. Some parents are more protective than others, and some are less protective. What's the big deal? I don't get it.

I walked to and from school for years. Granted, that was years ago. But so what? Kids can't always be contained like dogs. Sure, some parents would consider it dangerous. Obviously, some don't. Difference of opinion.

Old 04-14-2015, 07:29 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,095,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieG View Post
This is 2015. I remember when I was young and my big sisters and brothers watched me. That was a very long time ago. Times sure have changed since then. Any fool with a propensity toward violence on children could have had them for the taking. This is the not so safe America we live in now.

I see this as willful child neglect, leaving them unattended. To me its no worse than leaving your kids in a hot car to die.
A little over dramatic, don't you think?

At 10 years old, I would think a kid could handle going to a park close by their home unsupervised, and possibly watch a 6 yr old, depends on whether the 6 yr old is smart and well behaved or not.

Your own circumstances are also different than mine. If I lived in an inner city area somewhere, then I would not allow my kids to go to the park by themselves. I don't know where you live, but where I live, violent crime/kidnappings are basically non existent. We have a security patrol in the neighborhood. It is a very safe area. As such, I would have no problem letting a 10 yr old go to the park down the street.

What I find troubling is the actions of CPS. Let's face it, they screw up big time, a LOT of times. How often have we read in the news about abused children, where CPS was aware of a situation, but did nothing, or failed to follow up? There are a lot of dead kids who CPS has failed miserably, and to then go and harass a family who have raised one child to 10 and another to age 6 with no problems (except for repeated harassment by CPS)... I have to side with the family on this one.

Old 04-14-2015, 07:30 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,992,840 times
You are SUPPOSED to raise your kids to be independent...how do you do that if you hold their hand until they're 21?

Old 04-14-2015, 08:03 PM

1,293 posts, read 1,217,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
A little over dramatic, don't you think?

At 10 years old, I would think a kid could handle going to a park close by their home unsupervised, and possibly watch a 6 yr old, depends on whether the 6 yr old is smart and well behaved or not.

Your own circumstances are also different than mine. If I lived in an inner city area somewhere, then I would not allow my kids to go to the park by themselves. I don't know where you live, but where I live, violent crime/kidnappings are basically non existent. We have a security patrol in the neighborhood. It is a very safe area. As such, I would have no problem letting a 10 yr old go to the park down the street.

What I find troubling is the actions of CPS. Let's face it, they screw up big time, a LOT of times. How often have we read in the news about abused children, where CPS was aware of a situation, but did nothing, or failed to follow up? There are a lot of dead kids who CPS has failed miserably, and to then go and harass a family who have raised one child to 10 and another to age 6 with no problems (except for repeated harassment by CPS)... I have to side with the family on this one.
I lived in an inner city. You at least agree that having reared children in an inner city can be a little bit of a problem for "free ranging." No way. If I didn't live in an inner city, I wouldn't let my children be a mile away from me at any given time at these ages unless they're in school or some place, I can go pick them up.

I'm not siding with CPS. Not once did I make mention of being on their side. It is this parenting style that I take issue with. At ten years and twelve years maybe I'd feel better, but not 6 and 10.

My parenting style wasn't so bad. I have well rounded adult children today.

Old 04-14-2015, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
You are SUPPOSED to raise your kids to be independent...how do you do that if you hold their hand until they're 21?
No one said twenty one. But not 6 and ten. I'd feel better (me personally) at twelve. Certainly NOT ten years old to tend to a six year old.

Old 04-14-2015, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
I honestly don't see what's wrong with letting your kids walk home from school. They're not walking through "the hood," with gunshots whizzing in the air. A lot of kids, though, in "the hood," walk to and from school. Some parents are more protective than others, and some are less protective. What's the big deal? I don't get it.

I walked to and from school for years. Granted, that was years ago. But so what? Kids can't always be contained like dogs. Sure, some parents would consider it dangerous. Obviously, some don't. Difference of opinion.
How do you know what neighborhood these children come from?

Old 04-14-2015, 08:10 PM

477 posts, read 509,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
That's why I leave my kids in a hot car with the windows rolled up. It's safer than leaving them 20 miles out to sea with seal meat and 20lb weights strapped to them.

Here lies logic. RIP.
Apparently you are unable to recognize irony.

This is irony because it is true that pedophiles are mostly well-known to their victims, and are mostly relatives.

Yet the presumed danger from pedophiles is what the poster was citing as THE number one reason why children are "not safe" at public parks.

It is a fact that they are far more likely to encounter said pedophile at home than at a public park.

"Here lies logic. RIP." Indeed.

Old 04-14-2015, 08:14 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,467,054 times
Quote:
I lived in an inner city. You at least agree that having reared children in an inner city can be a little bit of a problem for "free ranging." No way. If I didn't live in an inner city, I wouldn't let my children be a mile away from me at any given time at these ages unless they're in school or some place, I can go pick them up.
Sounds like your experience being raised in the inner city has molded your thought process to agree with a more helicopter parenting style/authority needs to control parenting that was once considered just part of "growing up as a kid" for many. Remember many other kids, including myself, grew up in suburbia with very low crime and see things differently.

Quote:
My parenting style wasn't so bad. I have well rounded adult children today.
If you're kids are truly independent, self-sustaining, don't call on mom and/or dad for every little decision/thing in life yet you used a more "helicopter" approach to your parenting, I think you're fortunate your kids came out ok. Many kids that grow up with parents hovering all over them, not letting kids grow/learn/and fail more on their own often turn into something less ideal....."dependent/I can't think on my own/make a decision on my own type "adults" because they were never taught to do these basics growing up.

Old 04-14-2015, 08:17 PM

1,677 posts, read 2,487,145 times
Quote:
No one said twenty one. But not 6 and ten. I'd feel better (me personally) at twelve. Certainly NOT ten years old to tend to a six year old.
So who gets to decide the magic age when it's safe to play outside without mom and dad hovering? A 12 year old can be kidnapped just like a 10 year old can. Should we keep all children locked inside until age 18?

Or can we just let parents be parents and decide what THEY feel their children are capable of?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events