Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 06:02 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times

Advertisements

Well my parents would have been thrown in jail if we went by today's standard.

Grew up in NYC. Came home from school, changed and we were out and playing on the block til dinnertime..all by ourselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2015, 06:05 PM

1,293 posts, read 1,217,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Well my parents would have been thrown in jail if we went by today's standard.

Grew up in NYC. Came home from school, changed and we were out and playing on the block til dinnertime..all by ourselves.
I grew up in New York as well. However, my parents did not leave me unattended. I had the misfortune to be cared for by a baby sitter that I loathed.

Old 04-14-2015, 06:15 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,822,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieG View Post
I want to slap these people. This is actually a rearing belief. "Free range" like chickens. They sound like lazy parents to me. Why have them if you don't want to take care of them?

Two Maryland children are with their parents again after being held by Child Protective Services (CPS) for hours. This is the third time Danielle and Alexander Meitiv have come under fire for letting their children walk around unsupervised, reports CBS News correspondent Chip Reid.

"I can't believe we're going through this again," Danielle said.

Maryland CPS puts "free-range" parents on notice
Police picked up 6-year-old Dvora and her 10-year-old brother Rafi from a park near their Silver Spring home around 5 p.m. Sunday. Someone called 911 after seeing them alone.

"The policeman said, 'I'm going to bring you home,' and instead he brought us here," Rafi said.

Montgomery County police brought them to protective services where they were held for hours.

"We asked them, 'Why did they not bring them home?' And they said, 'We decided that it was the safety of the children was more important,'" Alexander said.

Is "free range parenting" really child neglect?

In February, a CPS investigation found the Meitivs responsible for "unsubstantiated child neglect." They said they're practicing free-range parenting, a parenting style in which independence and freedom is encouraged. They claim it builds independence.

"In essence it's like a false imprisonment, what happened to these kids, even though CPS probably had the best of intentions," CBS News legal analyst Rikki Klieman said Monday on "CBS This Morning." "Remember this, it's hours where these parents don't know where their kids are and where the kids don't know where their parents are."

State law in Maryland says, "A child under the age of 8 years old" cannot be left alone in a "building, enclosure, or motor vehicle" ... and they must be with "a reliable person who is at least 13."

Maryland "free range parenting" couple under fire again - CBS News

You want to "slap these people?" Control yourself and stop acting like a henpecked husband.

Not that this hasn't been discussed ad nauseum on other threads, but the only crime here is that parents have to explain to busybodies (ie., people like you) how they choose to raise their kids.

Instead, get indignant that the kids had a curfew that they missed only because they were snatched by police and spent 3 hours sitting in a cruiser, then were handed over to the child welfare arm of the gub-ment where they spent another 6 hours.

Biddie-bats and milquetoasts...where would we all be without them?

Old 04-14-2015, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
You want to "slap these people?" Control yourself and stop acting like a henpecked husband.

Not that this hasn't been discussed ad nauseum on other threads, but the only crime here is that parents have to explain to busybodies (ie., people like you) how they choose to raise their kids.

Instead, get indignant that the kids had a curfew that they missed only because they were snatched by police and spent 3 hours sitting in a cruiser, then were handed over to the child welfare arm of the gub-ment where they spent another 6 hours.

Biddie-bats and milquetoasts...where would we all be without them?
That's what I said. You can roll your eyes. My opinion. How I feel. I'll stick to that.

Old 04-14-2015, 06:23 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,137,287 times
Quote:
I want to slap these people. This is actually a rearing belief. "Free range" like chickens. They sound like lazy parents to me. Why have them if you don't want to take care of them?

Two Maryland children are with their parents again after being held by Child Protective Services (CPS) for hours. This is the third time Danielle and Alexander Meitiv have come under fire for letting their children walk around unsupervised, reports CBS News correspondent Chip Reid.

"I can't believe we're going through this again," Danielle said.

Maryland CPS puts "free-range" parents on notice
Police picked up 6-year-old Dvora and her 10-year-old brother Rafi from a park near their Silver Spring home around 5 p.m. Sunday. Someone called 911 after seeing them alone.

"The policeman said, 'I'm going to bring you home,' and instead he brought us here," Rafi said.

Montgomery County police brought them to protective services where they were held for hours.

"We asked them, 'Why did they not bring them home?' And they said, 'We decided that it was the safety of the children was more important,'" Alexander said.

Is "free range parenting" really child neglect?

In February, a CPS investigation found the Meitivs responsible for "unsubstantiated child neglect." They said they're practicing free-range parenting, a parenting style in which independence and freedom is encouraged. They claim it builds independence.

"In essence it's like a false imprisonment, what happened to these kids, even though CPS probably had the best of intentions," CBS News legal analyst Rikki Klieman said Monday on "CBS This Morning." "Remember this, it's hours where these parents don't know where their kids are and where the kids don't know where their parents are."

State law in Maryland says, "A child under the age of 8 years old" cannot be left alone in a "building, enclosure, or motor vehicle" ... and they must be with "a reliable person who is at least 13."

Maryland "free range parenting" couple under fire again - CBS News
Ridiculous law. They're 6 and 10, not toddlers. It's no wonder so many people my age are tied to their mommy and daddy's apron strings -- in their 20s. Rather than teaching their kids common sense and how to stay safe, parents are required to babysit their children 24/7 as if they're helpless toddlers.

What's next, taking 12 year olds away because their parents don't have the house babyproofed? Jesus, can they at least be left alone to wipe themselves when they use the toilet?

I get that bad things happen, but despite what the Nancy Grace fueled propaganda may have you believe, it's statistically very unlikely -- and less so when parents actually teach their kids to be proactive about their own safety.

Old 04-14-2015, 06:30 PM

2,558 posts, read 2,902,918 times
OP = Helicopter Parent
Just wait until their kids get out on their own, boys/girls gone wild!

Quote:
This is 2015. I remember when I was young and my big sisters and brothers watched me. That was a very long time ago. Times sure have changed since then. Any fool with a propensity toward violence on children could have had them for the taking. This is the not so safe America we live in now.

I see this as willful child neglect, leaving them unattended. To me its no worse than leaving your kids in a hot car to die.
Don't kid yourself, people weren't any more safe to be around back in your day. The only thing that's changed in recent times is MUCH more media coverage of everything.

Free Range Kids

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...a32_story.html

*read the comments section from this site ^^^^and see that many feel the way I do.

Old 04-14-2015, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Don't kid yourself, people weren't any more safe to be around back in your day. The only thing that's changed in recent times is MUCH more media coverage of everything.
Perhaps, but the child abduction rate wasn't nearly as high. Many of the pedophiles weren't even born then.

Old 04-14-2015, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggT View Post
OP = Helicopter Parent
Just wait until their kids get out on their own, boys/girls gone wild!
Exactly. If he was my father when I was a kid, I'd be always sneaking out and rebelling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events