Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 04:02 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,454,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
To me it's like taking 3rd grade girls to talk to female construction workers, to talk to them about working in a man's field and what it's like so they know that's a possibility for them....there's usually no reason to have to take boys because they are already aware construction jobs exist for boys...the girls don't know that there are girl construction workers.
No it's not unless you only take the Black girls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2015, 04:15 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,021,056 times
Quote:
They arranged for black students to talk about their experiences being in college, and being a minority in college...it probably would be a conversation most of the white kids wouldn't be able to relate to anyway, in fact it almost seems voyeuristic in a way to insist kids of other races go too, just because.
Are you being serious right now? Voyeuristic? To bring kids of all races on a field trip to a local college?

Quote:
To me it's like taking 3rd grade girls to talk to female construction workers, to talk to them about working in a man's field and what it's like so they know that's a possibility for them....there's usually no reason to have to take boys because they are already aware construction jobs exist for boys...the girls don't know that there are girl construction workers.
Ya know what? I don't think that would be appropriate. I think it would be appropriate to have male and female construction workers talk to both male and female students. Not only would girls be able to see that girls can be construction workers too, but so would the boys.

If black people going to college is really as rare as you seem to think it is (let's remember that black student enrollment in college is actually increasing, while white student enrollment is decreasing), then perhaps it would be good for white students to also see that black people do go to college.

Fast Facts

Quote:
Some of these kids, again, don't know anyone who ever went to college and don't see this as something black people do...so they are hoping this will result in some of these kids who would never have considered college now might set a goal for it.
Do you think this is a black-only problem? There are plenty of poor white people who don't have family members who go to college...just as some black people think that college is for "white people," some poor white people think that college is just for "rich people." My mom was the first in her family to obtain a GED. She didn't exactly have good role models in regard to education.

Quote:
School now is not like it was then...everyone doesn't stay with their classes all day together even in elementary school....some get to go to advanced classes, some get pulled to go to resource room...resource room kids might go outside one day to release butterflies, even though the kids in their homeroom class didn't get to do that...kids don't notice or care as much as people seem to think about where other kids go and when. I would love to be able to interview the other 3rd graders, because I would bet they don't care about this nearly as much as the adults seem to.
Ya know, I only mentioned leaving the kids out as one part of my problem with this field trip. I also think it fosters racist thoughts (you yourself have repeated over and over that black kids don't have role models, that black kids don't know anyone who has gone to college, etc. etc.)

I just don't understand how anyone could think that this classic example of blatant discrimination is OK.

Old 04-20-2015, 04:47 PM

11,186 posts, read 6,503,406 times
Quote:

“I was hired to look at the issues facing African-American kids in the South Bend Community Schools Corporation and my job specifically says that I need to develop programs and develop strategies to help these kids and their families become more successful academically,” says Dr. Moss.

The braniac who came up with this mess of a plan is Dr. G David Moss.

After being demoted from his position at Notre Dame he filed a discrimination complaint, and lost.
At the time, Moss was supervising a black student group on campus, Call to Action, which the complaint says raised issues of racism at Notre Dame. He then filed a lawsuit.

Former Notre Dame assistant VP sues university - South Bend Tribune: Local

Whether he won or lost the lawsuit, I'm confident this guy will come up with many more knuckle-headed ideas for racial separation in store for South Bend students.

Old 04-20-2015, 06:57 PM

17,377 posts, read 14,622,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
[/b]
The braniac who came up with this mess of a plan is Dr. G David Moss.

After being demoted from his position at Notre Dame he filed a discrimination complaint, and lost.
At the time, Moss was supervising a black student group on campus, Call to Action, which the complaint says raised issues of racism at Notre Dame. He then filed a lawsuit.

Former Notre Dame assistant VP sues university - South Bend Tribune: Local

Whether he won or lost the lawsuit, I'm confident this guy will come up with many more knuckle-headed ideas for racial separation in store for South Bend students.
I think what bothers me much more than the blatant exclusion of a segment of the school population, is that
the first college on their field trip agenda was Ivy Tech.

Ivy Tech for crying out loud.

One of the best schools in the country is in their backyard and the moron chooses to start it off with a trip to community college.

Way to have them shoot for the stars.

Old 04-20-2015, 09:31 PM

3,349 posts, read 2,846,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
I think what bothers me much more than the blatant exclusion of a segment of the school population, is that
the first college on their field trip agenda was Ivy Tech.

Ivy Tech for crying out loud.

One of the best schools in the country is in their backyard and the moron chooses to start it off with a trip to community college.

Way to have them shoot for the stars.
community college is great way to avoid debt.
My parents went to community college and they are doing well.

Old 04-20-2015, 10:03 PM

17,377 posts, read 14,622,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommie789 View Post
community college is great way to avoid debt.
My parents went to community college and they are doing well.
Good for them.

But if you want to inspire kids, and they happen to live in the same town where one of the nation's best colleges is located (one that promises to meet 100% of a student's demonstrated financial need) and the first place you take the 3rd graders is Ivy Tech, you're a moron.

Old 04-20-2015, 11:38 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,130,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veneficus View Post
Being forced to fund clearly racist and discriminatory public programs via taxpayer dollars is legal?

I find that hard to believe.
I'm not talking about the legality, I'm talking about your opinion on being reimbursed. That's not how taxes work..

Old 04-21-2015, 01:08 AM

4,502 posts, read 4,609,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommie789 View Post
Yeah, but you didn't wanna go on that field trip anyway, now did ya?

Old 04-21-2015, 03:21 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,608,703 times
Quote:
The man whose brainchild it was, was hired by the school corporation (yes, that's correct) solely to address the academic issues facing the black students in the district. So he probably wasn't going to be able to make everyone happy no matter what, but that doesn't sound like his fault.

“I was hired to look at the issues facing African-American kids in the South Bend Community Schools Corporation and my job specifically says that I need to develop programs and develop strategies to help these kids and their families become more successful academically,” says Dr. Moss.

If this is a public school, then a legal argument can be made that the school is blatantly discriminating against all the other races, and in violation of numerous Federal laws designed to prevent it.

Old 04-21-2015, 05:38 AM

50,723 posts, read 36,431,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
No it's not unless you only take the Black girls.
You are wrong in that comparison, IMO. Gender discrimination is no different, better or worse...yet I feel most people wouldn't be having a fit if it was one gender being taken somewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events