Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 12:44 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoks View Post
The death penalty is a barbaric act of revenge.
No, it's punishment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2015, 01:10 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,894,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West Phx Native View Post
a injection of 230grains of lead applied behind the ear at 900 feet per second injection speed will cure all criminal tendencies.
Although I agree with you....your method would only go over if and when we are under authoritarian rule.

Old 04-20-2015, 01:37 PM

21,476 posts, read 10,575,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xircal View Post
Yes, I think capital punishment should be abolished and guns banned as well while we're at it.

If capital punishment is so effective, why do people continue to be murdered?

I wouldn't like it if one of my family members was murdered, but I still wouldn't advocate executing the individual who commited the crime. Killing the murderer is merely a form of revenge and I'm not the revengeful type.

That doesn't mean to say I would advocate allowing them to go unpunished. Sending someone to prison for a very long time is a far better punishment because taking away someone's freedom is much worse for them knowing that they're going to have to spend the rest of their lives behind bars.

And if you want to think of me as a liberal, that's OK with me. Liberalism is after all a philosophy founded on liberty and equality and I value both.
How come some people can't figure out that there is no liberty without the ability to defend yourself or rise up against tyranny? That's why the First Amendment is about our various freedoms, and the Second Amendment is about keeping those freedoms.

Old 04-20-2015, 02:49 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,260,125 times
Quote:
There are plenty of prisoners considered to be too dangerous to be let loose on the public locked up in British prisons who have never escaped. Dennis Nilsen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I'm sure that some haven't escaped, but others have flown the coop.

And those who don't escape are a constant hazard to other prisoners as well as staff and visitors.

Old 04-20-2015, 03:20 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,164,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I say use helium to blow them up like a balloon the let the Victims family whack them like a Piñata.
Actually helium has been all the rage lately among people committing suicide. For some reason, one doesn't feel the lack of oxygen, there is no desperate gasping for breath - and it's very quick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowMotionApocalypse View Post
What is wrong with hanging? When done right, it's the best way to go.
No, it's a horrible way to die. The worst case scenario (which happens often to suiciders, as opposed to professional executions), is that the length of the rope and the type of knot are not sufficient to break the neck, and so the person dies of strangulation - usually after quite a while of conscious suffering. The best case scenario is that the neck is broken cleanly right away, but that still involves some minutes before dying.

Old 04-20-2015, 04:09 PM

2,462 posts, read 2,479,051 times
An easy way would be to put a fatal dose of sleeping pills in their last meal.

Old 04-20-2015, 04:48 PM

8,070 posts, read 12,779,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I say use helium to blow them up like a balloon the let the Victims family whack them like a Piñata.

It would be kind of messy.

Old 04-20-2015, 05:15 PM

2,346 posts, read 6,927,150 times
Quote:
But I was thinking that the state will have to use a gas chamber rather than a mask placed over the condemned person's face. After all, they cannot take the risk that some of the gas might escape and kill off the witnesses in the process.

The air we breathe is already around 75-80% nitrogen. So a bit of pure nitrogen leaking out and diffusing through the room isn't going to cause a problem. It's not the nitrogen that kills, it's the lack of oxygen.

You bring up a good point though - your concern shows why using nitrogen would be a better choice than using, say, carbon monoxide.

Old 04-20-2015, 07:42 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,251,442 times
Capital punishment is barbaric. But what makes it worse is all the denial. Everyone wants to make it painless, to not feel guilty about it. It should be as painful as possible, to constantly remind us how barbaric it is. And also to supplement whatever deterrent effect it has, if any. Executions should always be in public, and should always involve extreme pain, to force people to face the reality of how barbaric they're being when they favor capital punishment. And to give capital punishment its best shot at being a deterrent. It needs to make spectators think about how much they want to avoid it at all costs. Especially impressionable kids headed for a life of crime.

We could make spectators pay for the privilege of helping with the execution. They could hammer nails into the condemned, and pay $5 per nail, or $10 for nails into the eyeballs.

If that sounds barbaric to you, it's time to wake up, and stop pretending capital punishment is anything less.

Old 04-20-2015, 07:54 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
I'm opposed to the death penalty, I see no purpose in it except to satisfy some sort of bizarre blood lust that a lot of people in the US seem to have. It is not a deterrent, anyone who says it is is just plain naive. No one ever contemplated committing a crime and stopped and said "oh I had better not do this I could get the death penalty". State sanctioned murder is still murder, particularly when we seem unable to even figure out who is actually guilty until after they die, i.e. Cameron Todd Willingham

I totally agree with eok who says that if we are going to kill people it should be bloody, brutal and horrible, maybe people should be drawn and quartered, or burned alive. And make the public attend the executions so they can get blood sprayed on them and see what death smells like, maybe then people won't be on CD offering suggestions on great ways to kill people
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events