Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2015, 07:50 PM

1,805 posts, read 2,370,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
The problem is that the officer who did not handle himself well has become the story. The rest is noise. That officer has let his PD and his colleagues down. If he had handled himself with the professionalism of the other officers we would not be having this discussion. Now he has put his PD and his colleagues in a horrible situation. My guess is that he will end up leaving the PD.

Police officers need to understand that, in the digital age, they are under constant scrutiny. They have to assume that they are getting filmed and that means that their behavior has to be squeaky clean and professional at all times. They cannot afford profane language, they cannot afford to be perceived as using too much force and if they draw their weapons they had better be able to justify it.
Cops are suppose to act that way regardless.

Old 06-08-2015, 07:54 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,944,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmondaynight View Post
Cops are suppose to act that way regardless.
Yes they are and most do. However , as with any job, there are those who let the side down. In the past they were often covered for by their colleagues. But, in the digital age, that is much harder.

Old 06-08-2015, 07:55 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,653,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I don't get the whole reasoning that "mouthing off" means an officer can slam you to the ground, several times and pin you down! These are kids! I'm 50 and I honestly don't know what I'd do - be in shock, scared, mad...because it is a completely NOVEL situation. You think in all that confusion that a 14 year old is going to be completely calm and even able to pay attention to directions?

Cops use absolutely no power of reason. They know ONE thing - use the highest degree of force they can get away with. Cops in the UK don't even have guns - how do THEY manage to control crowds, perps, suspects? I think we have a lot to learn from them.

Police in Northern Ireland carry guns, but not in the rest of the U.K. where they use batons and various kinds of sprays.

Guns are banned there. The last figures I remember there were about 650 homicides in England and Wales with fewer than 50 being from guns. I think that may have been 2012.

Regardless of how many kids were at the pool, the video clip they keep showing has a cop pulling his gun on kids running away. What's wrong with some of these cops that they feel the need to do that?

Old 06-08-2015, 07:59 PM

1,805 posts, read 2,370,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Police in Northern Ireland carry guns, but not in the rest of the U.K. where they use batons and various kinds of sprays.

Guns are banned there. The last figures I remember there were about 650 homicides in England and Wales with fewer than 50 being from guns. I think that may have been 2012.

Regardless of how many kids were at the pool, the video clip they keep showing has a cop pulling his gun on kids running away. What's wrong with some of these cops that they feel the need to do that?
Because they can get away with it.

Old 06-08-2015, 08:00 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,776,601 times
What astonishes me is everyone keeps talking about who started it as an excuse for the cop's behavior. The cop was completely out of line the way he handled the girl.

Old 06-08-2015, 08:24 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,776,601 times
We will never know exactly what happened before the event, however this is what I observed.

The officer pointed to only black males and asked them to sit down. During the video, we saw them all comply.

The officer was telling the black girls to cross the street. They were disrespectful towards him. One young lady (14!!) was mouthing off at him. The officer overreacted and grabbed the girl and started throwing her around. She Was screaming and crying because she was freaked out and didn't understand what he was doing.

Her friends ran to her defense. Not the smartest thing to do, the officer thought one boy was going towards him. (Remember the officer's head was down he could not see exactly what was happening) he pulled his gun.

The other officers pursued the two males that came towards the officer.

The officer then proceed to scream at the girl to put her face on the ground, screaming profanity and using excessive force. The girl repeatedly told the officer she was on the ground. He forcibly moved her to her stomach, shoved her face into the grass and dug his knee in her back. The girl tried to lift her head to breath, the officer shoved it back in the grass.

This is a 14 year old girl in a bikini. Crying for her mother. Was she respectful? No. Does that warrant wat the officer did? Absolutely not!! She wasn't threatening him, she was using freedom of speech. The officer should be fired period.

To me what was equally disturbing were the adults watching. Not one adult came to help the 14 year old girl. Only the teens were expressing concern the officer was in the wrong. Shame on the adults for not stepping up and saying something.

Old 06-08-2015, 08:24 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,435,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
What astonishes me is everyone keeps talking about who started it as an excuse for the cop's behavior. The cop was completely out of line the way he handled the girl.
It's just a matter of time before one of these dirty right-wingers posts a "middle finger pic" as proof of how thuggish this girl is. Any minute now.

Old 06-08-2015, 08:32 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,653,567 times
Quote:
We will never know exactly what happened before the event, however this is what I observed.

The officer pointed to only black males and asked them to sit down. During the video, we saw them all comply.

The officer was telling the black girls to cross the street. They were disrespectful towards him. One young lady (14!!) was mouthing off at him. The officer overreacted and grabbed the girl and started throwing her around. She Was screaming and crying because she was freaked out and didn't understand what he was doing.

Her friends ran to her defense. Not the smartest thing to do, the officer thought one boy was going towards him. (Remember the officer's head was down he could not see exactly what was happening) he pulled his gun.

The officer then proceed to scream at the girl to put her face on the ground, screaming profanity and using excessive force. The girl repeatedly told the officer she was on the ground. He forcibly moved her to her stomach, shoved her face into the grass and dug his knee in her back. The girl tried to lift her head to breath, the officer shoved it back in the grass.

This is a 14 year old girl in a bikini. Crying for her mother. Was she respectful? No. Does that warrant wat the officer did? Absolutely not!! She wasn't threatening him, she was using freedom of speech. The officer should be fired period.

To me what was equally disturbing were the adults watching. Not one adult came to help the 14 year old girl. Only the teens were expressing concern the officer was in the wrong. Shame on the adults for not stepping up and saying something.
Veuvegirl, they may have been afraid if they moved toward her they'd be shot.

Great seeing some of my favorite posters here. Is there a migration or just stopping in?

Old 06-08-2015, 08:35 PM

7,982 posts, read 4,299,959 times
Quote:

This is exactly how I see it, too.

Old 06-08-2015, 08:35 PM

2,248 posts, read 2,353,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
It's just a matter of time before one of these dirty right-wingers posts a "middle finger pic" as proof of how thuggish this girl is. Any minute now.
I can't stop laughing lol, so true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events