Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2015, 09:21 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,632,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Sadly this is my backyard. When I say adults stepping in let me clarify.

I am not talking about adults getting too into the fray. The adults should have calmly said to the kids, "this is getting out of hand fast. Do me a favor, go across the street, do you know the girl's mother? Call her please."

Then turned to the cop and asked for his badge number, calmly.

Standing by and watching is being complicit. The officer was out of hand. The other two that were there, 100% fine, speaking calmly explaining to the kids why not to run.

Thanks for clarifying. I agree, that should have happened, but we tend to see adults encouraging bad behavior rather than trying to diffuse the situation.

Old 06-08-2015, 09:24 PM

963 posts, read 690,246 times
Aren't parents supposed to teach their children basic life skills? Aren't they supposed to teach them to respect other's private property? Aren't they supposed to teach them to respect authorities?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloforLife View Post
Aren't the cops supposed to be TRAINED professionals?

This is PC. Most people go around saying it's a small percentage that are bad apples. At some point people need to face reality that a lot of cops should never have been hired.

Old 06-08-2015, 09:25 PM

40,954 posts, read 49,228,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
But this Wednesday night when I'm talking to my boys--which includes some of the ones in the video--I'm going to point this out as a way girls can get them into trouble. Have to make sure the girls' mentors tell them to keep quiet.
Most teens (and many adults) have the Ron White syndrome......

I had the right to remain silent... but I didn't have the ability. .......Ron White

Old 06-08-2015, 09:28 PM

71 posts, read 86,550 times
Guaranteed my kids will definitely be properly trained.. Probably better disciplined than yours too..

Again, no one has said the kid was right for mouthing off but there is a certain rule of law to be maintained and it does not involve a 200 pound fully grown adult police officer slamming a 14 year old 110lb teenage girl in a bikini..

Laws are laws..

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlbenator View Post
That's the spirit! Teach your kids to mouth off to the police when they give them a direct order.

Great way to lose a child eventually. But then, THEY HAVE RIGHTS.

Old 06-08-2015, 09:32 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,606,549 times
I'm waiting for the day a black cop brutally manhandles a white 14 year old girl in a bikini, shoves her face to the ground and puts most of his weight on her back just for being mouthy even though she was walking away. Of course he'd be dead by sundown.

Old 06-08-2015, 09:33 PM

71 posts, read 86,550 times
yea that would never happen..

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
I'm waiting for the day a black cop brutally manhandles a white 14 year old girl in a bikini, shoves her face to the ground and puts most of his weight on her back just for being mouthy even though she was walking away. Of course he'd be dead by sundown.

Old 06-08-2015, 10:31 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,172,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
But this Wednesday night when I'm talking to my boys--which includes some of the ones in the video--I'm going to point this out as a way girls can get them into trouble. Have to make sure the girls' mentors tell them to keep quiet.
I missed where you said you were that close to the action ...... what are you going to say to them about the cop beating up the girl?

Old 06-08-2015, 11:13 PM

675 posts, read 724,666 times
I don't know about you but I think teenagers have gotten seriously out of control, especially in Baltimore where I live. In my opinion many parents are not socializing their children to societies norms. They think they can do anything they want whenever they want. They don't respect authority and the first authority person in their life are their parents. In essence I see their conflicts with authority figures are really projections on how they feel about their parents.

Old 06-08-2015, 11:14 PM

13,788 posts, read 8,026,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
The only reason that this incident has gotten such a level of publicity is because of one office who appeared to be out of control, who used what many people believed to be excessive force on a 14 year old girl and who pulled his gun on some unarmed kids. If he had not done these things, nobody would have heard about this.

Now his reputation has been dragged through the dirt and the police department and the town are being perceived of as racist. That may not be fair but perception rarely is. We can argue the rights and wrongs of this until the cows come home and it will not change a thing. The real question is what the town and the PD choose to do about it and to what extent that can repair the damage caused.

Correct.

For example my sister teachers at an inner city public school where 70% of the students are black. Unless a student curses you or hits another student there really isn`t much you can do to discipline them. Call their mother and you`re likely to get yelled at. The unwritten rule is if you can`t control your class the district will find someone who can. So you do what you can to keep the 30% or so of the class which are only in school for the social aspect under control.

Most teachers understand how the system works and realize they can`t get upset over unruly behavior because it`s part of the job. Unfortunately, the day-to-day hassles of dealing with kids who don`t give a damn wears on you and teachers do blow up. It`s wrong on the teachers part because that is what they are getting paid for: to deal with what is often an unteachable situation.

The police see this x 10 and like the teacher understand it`s part of the job. They knew full well a number of those kids at the pool weren`t going to obey/mouth off but it`s their job to deal with that.

The cop who was running might have been having a bad day but for whatever the reason his unprofessional behavior was caught on film and he`s likely to get fired.

Last edited by john3232; 06-08-2015 at 11:38 PM..

Old 06-08-2015, 11:43 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,760,041 times
Take race out of it. A cop manhandled a 14 year old girl for mouthing off, for not being respectful. All I could picture was my daughter in the hands of this officer (she is about the same age).

I watched the video and tears came. My daughter next to me asking what was wrong. She was just as shocked at the video wondering why a police officer would act that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events