Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2015, 08:54 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,074,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
There was no "obvious mob situation" from the point of view of those teens. From their point of view, it was still a party until the police showed up.

Some of those kids were members of the church where I am a youth leader. What we're going to tell them for situations going forward:

1. Answer direct questions, say nothing more, don't talk back.
2. Cross the street
3. Pull out your phones, call us or call your parents
4. Record the situation

No, we're not going to tell them to leave the police to do whatever they want to whomever they want without witnesses. We're not going to pretend this is Mayberry,
I just don't know where to start with this, oh well, I guess I'll just dive right in....
First, let me say those suggestions are reasonable, I would add "do what they say, there's time to argue later".
Had all of them followed those suggestions above I'd bet we would not be discussing this right now.

Secondly,

It doesn't matter what the point of view was of the teens when the cops rolled up.

First off, to anyone with an ounce of common sense when that many cops roll up AND at least one of the cops has already chased down and brought back 2 of your "buddies" after telling them to stay put you've got to have some idea SOMETHING is going on that caused all those cops to roll up to begin with.
You don't A.Start mouthing off or B.Refuse to follow a simple order to go across the street. C. Charge at an officer's back when he's dealing with someone. That last one could very well cause you to assume room temperature due to lead poisoning.

If you have an issue with what a cop has done then sort it out after and everyone goes home alive and happy. That's what courts and attorneys are for.

Having raised a teen and been around all his friends/classmates in the last 10 years and having been a miscreant kid at one time myself it's my humble opinion that teens today have a highly distorted idea of what their opinion really means to the world in general and how much weight it does or doesn't have.

Old 06-08-2015, 08:56 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,074,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITguy1981 View Post
mob situation is a teenage girl talking back to you and walking away? tuck and roll a bit much? you have your mind made up on what you want to see buddy..
You might just want to watch the full video.

Old 06-08-2015, 09:06 PM

71 posts, read 86,750 times
I watched a full video.. Did you?

Slamming someone into the ground for mouthing off.. He had no reason to assault her, he had no basis to arrest her.. If he did, he would have kept her in cuffs.. He was not detaining her, she did not pose a physical threat to him in any way.. What exactly was his motive for slamming her to the ground? You do that in two situations either you are arresting her (which would have been excessive force anyway) or you are restraining her if you feel she is a physical threat to you.. None of which applied..

No one is saying the kid is an angel but laws are made for a reason.. I never heard of a situation where being mouthy to a police officer was grounds for the police officer creating laws of their own.. The girl will definitely get a payout because we all know the officer was in the wrong. The law is not on his side in any way..

Gotta love when uneducated folk try to turn their moral convictions and political beliefs into law..

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
You might just want to watch the full video.

Old 06-08-2015, 09:08 PM

963 posts, read 691,429 times
Dana Loesch asks: Question: Where were the parents of the teens on video in McKinney? Are they OK with people partying on private property without permission?

Old 06-08-2015, 09:09 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,793,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Veuvegirl, they may have been afraid if they moved toward her they'd be shot.

Great seeing some of my favorite posters here. Is there a migration or just stopping in?
Sadly this is my backyard. When I say adults stepping in let me clarify.

I am not talking about adults getting too into the fray. The adults should have calmly said to the kids, "this is getting out of hand fast. Do me a favor, go across the street, do you know the girl's mother? Call her please."

Then turned to the cop and asked for his badge number, calmly.

Standing by and watching is being complicit. The officer was out of hand. The other two that were there, 100% fine, speaking calmly explaining to the kids why not to run.

Old 06-08-2015, 09:14 PM

28,711 posts, read 18,886,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlbenator View Post
Dana Loesch asks: Question: Where were the parents of the teens on video in McKinney? Are they OK with people partying on private property without permission?
Silly question. McKinney is listed as one of the very best places in the US to live--the very best in some reports. This is not Ferguson or Baltimore.

Remember, these kids are classmates and this is a middle-class area--and in Dallas, everyplace is a 20-minute drive, teenagers are not limited to a block or two. "I'm going with X at a pool party at Y's house." They drove or their parents dropped them off. They all go to the same school. Hovering is over at that age. Parents should stop hovering by the time kids are in high school, and even by middle school if they're going to be with classmates at a pool party during daylight.

Old 06-08-2015, 09:16 PM

8,105 posts, read 6,779,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
Just saw two black witnesses on CNN that say this incident had nothing to do with race, lets see how long this story lasts.

So far I'm right, not much coverage on this non-story.

Old 06-08-2015, 09:17 PM

2,630 posts, read 1,460,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
The problem is that the officer who did not handle himself well has become the story. The rest is noise. That officer has let his PD and his colleagues down. If he had handled himself with the professionalism of the other officers we would not be having this discussion. Now he has put his PD and his colleagues in a horrible situation. My guess is that he will end up leaving the PD.

Police officers need to understand that, in the digital age, they are under constant scrutiny. They have to assume that they are getting filmed and that means that their behavior has to be squeaky clean and professional at all times. They cannot afford profane language, they cannot afford to be perceived as using too much force and if they draw their weapons they had better be able to justify it.
Aren't the cops supposed to be TRAINED professionals?

Quote:
Yes they are and most do. However , as with any job, there are those who let the side down. In the past they were often covered for by their colleagues. But, in the digital age, that is much harder.
This is PC. Most people go around saying it's a small percentage that are bad apples. WRONG...At some point people need to face reality that a lot of cops should never have been hired.

Quote:
to roll up to begin with.
You don't A.Start mouthing off or B.Refuse to follow a simple order to go across the street. C. Charge at an officer's back when he's dealing with someone. That last one could very well cause you to assume room temperature due to lead poisoning.

If you have an issue with what a cop has done then sort it out after and everyone goes home alive and happy. That's what courts and attorneys are for.
Isn't that something else, you expect more maturity and common sense from teens and not from the adults who are in uniform and carry a gun.

Old 06-08-2015, 09:19 PM

28,711 posts, read 18,886,293 times
But this Wednesday night when I'm talking to my boys--which includes some of the ones in the video--I'm going to point this out as a way girls can get them into trouble. Have to make sure the girls' mentors tell them to keep quiet.

Old 06-08-2015, 09:20 PM

963 posts, read 691,429 times
That's the spirit! Teach your kids to mouth off to the police when they give them a direct order.

Great way to lose a child eventually. But then, THEY HAVE RIGHTS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITguy1981 View Post
I watched a full video.. Did you?

Slamming someone into the ground for mouthing off.. He had no reason to assault her, he had no basis to arrest her.. If he did, he would have kept her in cuffs.. He was not detaining her, she did not pose a physical threat to him in any way.. What exactly was his motive for slamming her to the ground? You do that in two situations either you are arresting her (which would have been excessive force anyway) or you are restraining her if you feel she is a physical threat to you.. None of which applied..

No one is saying the kid is an angel but laws are made for a reason.. I never heard of a situation where being mouthy to a police officer was grounds for the police officer creating laws of their own.. The girl will definitely get a payout because we all know the officer was in the wrong. The law is not on his side in any way..

Gotta love when uneducated folk try to turn their moral convictions and political beliefs into law..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events