Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you back her ?
Yes 210 80.46%
No 51 19.54%
Voters: 261. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 08:36 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,097,706 times

Advertisements

83% support. At least I finally have something to restore some of my faith in humanity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2015, 08:39 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,257,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post
83% support. At least I finally have something to restore some of my faith in humanity.
yes, I feel the same way and I do hope a lot of them are young people who are yet to have children....

Parenting needs to change, we don't realize when we're young, what a great responsibility it is to be a parent...

but I hear ya....

Old 07-24-2015, 08:44 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,977,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Why do you think children need to be yelled at?
Because they don't listen.

Once when my brother was a baby, probably 1-1.5, he bit my mom's shoulder, hard. He had a tendency to bite - me, her, anyone. So she bit him back on his shoulder. He was shocked, didn't cry but looked at her in total surprise... and never bit again.

Sometimes, saying "no" "no" gently over and over again while trying to correct the behavior doesn't work. Children need to see why their behavior is wrong. A screaming kid getting yelled at for it can now understand why the loud noise is annoying or upsetting. A kid who gets bitten back can now see why biting hurts and shouldn't be done. Of course, this is if nothing else works... or if the kid screamed incessantly in the woman's diner with other people around and the parents doing nothing about it.

As someone else said earlier, this wasn't a random stranger on the street yelling at a random kid for no good reason. This was the owner of the restaurant putting her foot down, setting her own rules, and being assertive about rude behavior that she could no longer tolerate. Fine in my book.

Old 07-24-2015, 08:45 AM

30,618 posts, read 18,198,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I don't know, but someone was talking about it this morning and mentioned that the kids mother is going to try and make trouble for this owner....or sue her?
The effort the mother is going to go through to make trouble for the owner should have been used to try to quiet her child or to otherwise leave the restaurant so that others could eat in peace!

When I'm PAYING MONEY to dine out, I do not need a crying baby in my ear. Some people are just beyond belief. Parents with young children need to understand that there are some luxuries they won't be able to partake in while their children are young; that's what babysitters and/or delivery/take-out are for!

Old 07-24-2015, 09:05 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,257,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
The effort the mother is going to go through to make trouble for the owner should have been used to try to quiet her child or to otherwise leave the restaurant so that others could eat in peace!

When I'm PAYING MONEY to dine out, I do not need a crying baby in my ear. Some people are just beyond belief. Parents with young children need to understand that there are some luxuries they won't be able to partake in while their children are young; that's what babysitters and/or delivery/take-out are for!

yeah, I hear ya....I'm convinced the store owner is telling the truth, and the mother, well, she really shouldn't be a parent....she hasn't got a clue.

and did you know there are mother's organizing, who side with her and are taking their children to this restaurant, just to antagonise this restaurant owner? Sad, very sad and they live in very teny tiny worlds.

Old 07-24-2015, 09:09 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,977,958 times
The restaurant owner has no reason to lie. What happened is out there, she's getting criticism and praise from all sides, and she still remains adamant in what she did, sticking up for herself. Her business at the moment is not suffering and she's continuing on like normal, it seems, if you look at the diner's Facebook page.

The mother, OTOH, is likely embarrassed this has gotten so much coverage, ends up looking like an idiot either way for not dealing with her kid. Most people who don't support the owner simply don't support her because they feel she yelled at the wrong person (if she even did) - the baby, rather than the parents. They don't feel like she was wrong to say or do something about the screaming baby. Regardless, the mother is still wrong in both situations because she did nothing to quiet her kid in a public place, and it pissed people off.

Old 07-24-2015, 09:14 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,342,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post

As someone else said earlier, this wasn't a random stranger on the street yelling at a random kid for no good reason. This was the owner of the restaurant putting her foot down, setting her own rules, and being assertive about rude behavior that she could no longer tolerate. Fine in my book.
This was a chicken-sh** who should have taken it up with the parents and booted their butts out of the restaurant.
Easier and safer to yell at a toddler.

Old 07-24-2015, 09:17 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,708,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Just today we went to a thai restaurant.
We have been going there every week for lunch for a while now.
I invite my parents and take my 3 year old son.
The ladies just love him.
He eats all his salad, his chicken satay, and splits a spicy tofu pad thai with me (he also steals all the bean sprouts). They have the order down and bring his water in a special cup.

Today we brought our 11 month old. She ate salad, satay, and my wife's pad see iew as well as some peas and apples we had packed for her.

No patrons were disturbed. When right at the end, right before the check, the baby got restless, my wife took her outside and my son and I chatted about dinosaurs till we could pay.

It can be done, it is not hard.
Handled like a pro! I bet you've shown your children the way to behave at a restaurant table as soon as it could be impressed upon them.

Old 07-24-2015, 09:23 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,708,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlvancouver View Post
This is not a situation where the parents weren't fully aware of what their kid was doing. They could hear her. The parents didn't care. Let's be honest, the restaurant owner was really yelling at the parents, and as someone with kids, I would not return to a restaurant that allowed my meal to be disrupted for even 10 minutes by parents not paying attention to a kid without doing something about it.

If your kid is fussing in a restaurant you leave. Simple. We did it when our kids were young, we certainly didn't "double down" and order MORE food without tending to our kids.
Exactly. Instead of tending to their child and quieting/consoling him her out of ear shot of other paying customers, the self-absorbed 'parents' tuned the child out, left the child's food out of reach, and allowed the noise to disrupt a peaceful meal for every person inside the restaurant.

No matter how the sperm donor or egg producer try to spin it, the incident was brought about by their failure to act like parents as well as having respect for other people around them.

Old 07-24-2015, 09:26 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,407,819 times
Thumbs down Lol...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
So the ends justify the means? I don't think so.

I could slap someone across the face to shut them up. Does it make it right? NOPE.
NO...that is assault...
K
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events