Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2015, 02:41 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,635,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
I don't understand the question?
You obviously are very resourceful, so if you share more details of how you are able to manage, I would like to read those details. It's none of my business of course, so if you don't care to share, that is OK too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2015, 03:43 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,488,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
You obviously are very resourceful, so if you share more details of how you are able to manage, I would like to read those details. It's none of my business of course, so if you don't care to share, that is OK too.

I currently get $733/month. It pays for rent, electricity, basic internet (which is cheaper than paying gas money to drive across town to library every day for far less internet usage), gas for truck, and insurance on truck. I have no cable. I have never smoked, drank, or used drugs. I hardly even have furniture (lost most of it when I became homeless in 2011 and have never had the money to buy more). I walk to the local stores as much as possible to save gas money. I watch TV shows online for free. I never have any money left over to save for the following month. I have to be careful anytime I spend money since there's little to no money to spare after basics are paid. If they cut the money like discussed then I will simply be homeless for the rest of my life. It has nothing to do with being resourceful. I just know how to keep my bills down as low as I can, but even that knowledge only goes so far.

Old 07-27-2015, 03:53 PM

3,324 posts, read 2,136,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Less than 40% of applicants nationwide are ever granted benefits. It's a little hard to believe your unsubstantiated claim about "new additions are getting onto the doles en masse"
My point was simply that if there is indeed an abundance of fraud occurring, as others have suggested, that it's not because Average Joe/Jane is submitting an application expecting instantaneous addition to the doles.

Old 07-27-2015, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
I currently get $733/month. It pays for rent, electricity, basic internet (which is cheaper than paying gas money to drive across town to library every day for far less internet usage), gas for truck, and insurance on truck. I have no cable. I have never smoked, drank, or used drugs. I hardly even have furniture (lost most of it when I became homeless in 2011 and have never had the money to buy more). I walk to the local stores as much as possible to save gas money. I watch TV shows online for free. I never have any money left over to save for the following month. I have to be careful anytime I spend money since there's little to no money to spare after basics are paid. If they cut the money like discussed then I will simply be homeless for the rest of my life. It has nothing to do with being resourceful. I just know how to keep my bills down as low as I can, but even that knowledge only goes so far.
And you're doing an excellent job of that, obviously.

May I ask whereabouts do you live?

Do you ever venture into the Retirement forum? There are a number of folks there who are also living on very low incomes. They are, in general, upbeat folks who talk about expenses but also how to enjoy life with limited means.

Old 07-27-2015, 04:12 PM

42,845 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
There are the 3 legs of retirement....pension, SS and your own savings.

Where is her retirement savings in this picture ?
Where's the pension? oh...I almost forgot Reagan got rid of most of those pesky things when he killed unions

Old 07-27-2015, 04:33 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Where's the pension? oh...I almost forgot Reagan got rid of most of those pesky things when he killed unions
The poster I was responding to did mention a pension as well as SS.

Did you miss that part ?

It was the advent of the 401K plan that pushed companies to end pensions, not Reagan and unions.

Old 07-27-2015, 04:34 PM

Quote:
The pension is $400 per month. That is $400 per month more than my pension.

Old 07-27-2015, 05:02 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
The USG won't cut anyone's payments. They will use that fear to get Congress to go further into debt.

No different than when Obama said SS checks wouldn't go out if we didn't raise the debt ceiling.

It's to incite fear in Americans and make them mad at Congress, especially the Republicans in Congress.

Old 07-27-2015, 05:19 PM

Quote:
The USG won't cut anyone's payments. They will use that fear to get Congress to go further into debt.

No different than when Obama said SS checks wouldn't go out if we didn't raise the debt ceiling.

It's to incite fear in Americans and make them mad at Congress, especially the Republicans in Congress.
I think the Republicans are doing a fine job of making people mad at them all on their own.

Old 07-27-2015, 05:21 PM

42,845 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
The poster I was responding to did mention a pension as well as SS Did you miss that part ? .
I didn't miss it, she was talking about the 3 legged stool, pension, savings, SS. You commented on savings, I mentioned that for the most part we no longer have pensions. .
Quote:
It was the advent of the 401K plan that pushed companies to end pensions, not Reagan and unions.
It's very unusual for an employer to just 'offer' a pension unless they need to, either in order to compete for employees, or because of collective bargaining. From the start of Reagan's term until the end of it union membership dropped from 25% to 17%, fewer unionized workplaces means fewer pensions.
Reagan Set Up the Death of the Middle Class, But China Was the Clincher*|*Dave Johnson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events