Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 08:55 AM

50,783 posts, read 36,486,545 times

Advertisements

My niece had to go to a food bank when her husband got sick and was out of work for awhile. And she's a teacher. I have worked with CNAs (I've worked in nursing homes for 18 years) who work full time plus overtime when they can get it, and still need and qualify for government assistance for food, electricity, etc. People who think everyone who needs assistance is lazy or a mooch has their eyes and mind shut, IMO. This is fact of life for people who used to be middle class and now can't make it with rising prices combined with low wages.

The average rent in NJ is $800 a month (and that's in a crappy area) and the average CNA salary is $10-12 an hour. So take out rent, food, benefits deducted from check, car payments and insurance, utilities, and it's easy to see why someone can work hard (CNA is a HARD job) and stlll not be able to live without assistance programs.

I got a tiny taste of this once, just a teeny-tiny taste...I asked a small pharmacy if they accepted a discount card that I had used at CVS with no problem (this was before ACA when my $400 a month insurance did not include prescription drugs). The lady treated me like I was asking to barter chickens for my medicine, lol. The look of distaste on her face....was the last time I went to that neighborhood pharmacy...it's now a Domino's.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 07-25-2015 at 09:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2015, 09:16 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpm1 View Post
I support the existence of food stamps tho I want them to operate under the WIC standards.
WIC, depending on the state, can be ridiculously restrictive. In Pennsylvania, WIC can't be used to buy plain rolled oats, white potatoes, organic foods, pepper jack cheese, or spaghetti sauce.

Quote:
I do however think shame for using food stamps is entirely appropriate. You are afterall taking money out of your neighbors pocket. Your neighbor has bills, dreams, and financial goals too.
Most people using food stamps have some income, or have had income in the past; they already have contributed toward that safety net. There is absolutely no reason to be ashamed to need a little help now and then.

Why do people like you always think that people needing food stamps prefer it that way?

Old 07-25-2015, 09:17 AM

21,474 posts, read 10,575,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
Except there is no way for anyone, standing in the grocery store checkout line, to tell who is abusing the system and who is not, but the judgement call is made anyway. It's demeaning and unnecessary.
In Texas they use a Lone Star card, which works in the machine like a debit card. No one need know the person in front of them is using food stamps. It was different when I was a grocery store checker as a teenager. Back then they were actually food stamps, and we had to usually call over a manager. Everyone in line was aware the person was using food stamps. I feel it was the thing that made people want to get off food stamps as soon as possible, but they don't need the shame either.

Old 07-25-2015, 09:18 AM

3,038 posts, read 2,414,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
And most people on food stamps work so they are actually just taking some of that money and taxes they put into the system. So that is money that was already taken out of their pocket.

Why should you feel shame because you hit a rough period and need some help. Are you saying you have uncover needed help before?
The effective tax rate of someone who is taking food stamps is 0%. People dont pay as much taxes as they think they do.

Old 07-25-2015, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
WIC, depending on the state, can be ridiculously restrictive. In Pennsylvania, WIC can't be used to buy plain rolled oats, white potatoes, organic foods, pepper jack cheese, or spaghetti sauce.

Most people using food stamps have some income, or have had income in the past; they already have contributed toward that safety net. There is absolutely no reason to be ashamed to need a little help now and then.

Why do people like you always think that people needing food stamps prefer it that way?
I support the restrictiveness of WIC. Tho obviously if you cant by oats that should be adjusted.

If you are going on food stamps you likely did not make 100k last year. The effective tax rate of someone going on stamps is not anywhere near what the costs of the plan are. Neighbors are footing the bill for them.

Old 07-25-2015, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smart-dumb-kid View Post
This is nonsense. Everybody steals from everybody pocket, or do you believe the roads you use, the public education you received, the clean neighborhoods came about for free? More importantly, Snaps doesn't cover toiletrys and other necessities, so she is paying towards social security and medicare, which will keep money IN her neighbors pocket as they age. What is even more insulting that the taxes people pay wouldn't even make a penny of a difference because of her, so your statement is unfounded.
Roads and education are a fundamental principle of government. Steak is not.

Old 07-25-2015, 09:24 AM

50,783 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpm1 View Post
The effective tax rate of someone who is taking food stamps is 0%. People dont pay as much taxes as they think they do.
I think her point was that just like unemployment, for many being on food stamps is temporary, and that they have paid taxes before their lay off or whatever. Most on food stamps are not on them for life.

Personally, I am grateful not to need them and will gladly pay my share of taxes for people that don't have enough to eat to be able to get food.

Old 07-25-2015, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I think her point was that just like unemployment, for many being on food stamps is temporary, and that they have paid taxes before their lay off or whatever. Most on food stamps are not on them for life.
I do understand that. However my point is that that persons tax burden pre food stamps is not likely adequate to pay for the service.

I doubt mine would be either. Reality is the people lowest in the tax bracket to about the highest 70% in income dont pay many taxes.

Old 07-25-2015, 11:50 AM

731 posts, read 1,579,747 times
I read all comments, and i can see a truth in all posts. I always see a truth in what is conveyed in actual voice conversations. Sometimes it is just too hard to read a thread with 50 posts. I tend to not go there and more than likely what i feel has already been posted.

We don't know what her life experiences have been that influenced her decisions that led her to this place or she directed a plan that fell apart. I have some experience in plans that fell apart. I believe most people have made bad decisions that can't be fixed at this current station of life. "this is that" @

One point that i didn't see in any posts was the fact that DHS has for many years provided jobs for someone
you know: your friend, your neighbor, some one in your cul de sac, your parents yadda yadda. Do you have a personal vendetta about" welfare." @@ actual or perceived that cause you belittle all services of welfare? Don't forget to find out how many jobs welfare has provided in your county, state or district. Look at how they handled those cases. A synopsis can be found in criminal behavior on your state /district records.

Everyone can just be kind to others.

@ "Scriptures of The World's Religions'" second edition
@@ search City Data for information on welfare, or google for welfare fraud in your state There are all manner
of ways to get information, everyone knows this

Last edited by tinynot; 07-25-2015 at 11:54 AM.. Reason: deleted pf deleted what

Old 07-25-2015, 06:42 PM

546 posts, read 408,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
One of my friends (also college educated) was on food stamps for a little while (a few weeks) a few years ago. When she got approved for the food stamps, she got the full monthly allotment of money and about a week to spend all of it.

She bought all of those things those republicans do not approve of. She bought salmon, steak, staples and all sorts of things to use up the money as it is user it or lose it with that first EBT card. I am sure she got judged at the store that day as someone abusing the system.

She ended up finding a job during her second cycle of food stamps, and she hasn't had problems since!
I'm going to assume your friend was not psychic and did not know she would soon be re-employed. IMO the prudent thing to do would have been stocking up on non-perishable staples, and waiting for steak and salmon to celebrate the new job.

That's not being judgemental, just sensible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events