Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 09:30 AM

17,622 posts, read 17,674,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
Forty years ago everybody and their mother wasn't carrying a piece armed with the mentality fostered by stand-your-ground and a freaking off the chart understanding of what imminent threat actually means. I would bring up another factor but I'm not going there for the moment.
BS, there were more guns and it was easier to purchase guns. Remember, 40 years ago was before the attempted assassination of Ronald Reagan and the Brady Bill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2015, 09:33 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
There is a weekly road rage shooting in FL? Really?

Are there also weekly road rage shooting in Texas? If not, then isn't it reasonable to think it is people and not guns responsible?

Seems kind of strange that guns are always blamed, never the people. Typical of the liberal mindset, never blame anyone for anything, always blame some thing and all because it is easier and you don't have to blame the liberal policies and failures in the liberal experiments in education for many of the ills in this country.

Nah, don't blame people, why...that would mean someone is responsible and not something.

How nice it must be to only take responsibility for something when it comes to Obama and taking credit for accomplishing things. For everything else, blame some thing.

What are you talking about? I clearly talked about the people who are getting guns who shouldn't be. I have no issue with gun ownership.

I do have issues with hotheads and people who are not responsible.

What's so hard of a concept? Not everyone who owns a gun is responsible owner, just like not everyone who has a driver's license or is a parent is good at that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepingquiet View Post
The poster you quoted was actually blaming people and not the guns. Are you so angry that you couldn't see that?

Thank you, apparently he is or has reading issues.

Old 07-27-2015, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
What post did you read? In the post I read, he DID blame the people. He called them hotheads, nutjobs, and idiots, in several places. How do you get from that that he is blaming the guns and not the people?
Thank you as well. I thought it was pretty clear(seems to be for everyone else....LOL) that I was blaming the people.

Having lived in FL for a few years I can tell you many people decide to get guns who never owned them before, they also take no safety classes, and of all the states I have lived in I have never seen so many "angry people"(maybe it's the heat and humidity).

But I lost track of the many road rage shootings, neighbor disputes over something minor, etc. That ended with someone dead.

Old 07-27-2015, 09:39 AM

29,483 posts, read 14,650,004 times
Seems like the simplest thing to do is not to engage. If you feel the need to do something, get the plate number, call 911 and say that you suspect this person is driving under the influence due to reckless /aggressive driving.

Old 07-27-2015, 09:54 AM

If you feel a road rager is following you, don't drive home. Drive to local police station while calling 911. If you have a passenger, have the passenger video the other driver. I wonder how much illegal drug use during preteen or teen years has impacted a person's brain development and if it contributes to the rise and escalation of road rage cases. Also, there was a period when schools were teaching kids in a way that can create a sense of entitlement. Kids need to learn to cope with disappointment that comes with losing or getting a failing grade. People get angry on the road but not everyone reacts to that anger with violence. There should be a study of those who act out on their anger? Do they have a history of drug use, do they suffer from PTSD, did they have multiple concussions, has there been any major changes in their life?

Old 07-27-2015, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Thank you as well. I thought it was pretty clear(seems to be for everyone else....LOL) that I was blaming the people.

Having lived in FL for a few years I can tell you many people decide to get guns who never owned them before, they also take no safety classes, and of all the states I have lived in I have never seen so many "angry people"(maybe it's the heat and humidity).

But I lost track of the many road rage shootings, neighbor disputes over something minor, etc. That ended with someone dead.
The entire Gulf coast region suffers high heat & humidity. I live in south Louisiana. We love our guns and hunting and we don't have this much road rage shooting cases.

Old 07-27-2015, 10:14 AM

1,535 posts, read 1,391,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I think they made the right call but Gonzales should not have gone to his house. Lawyer will argue self defense.

3 times in the back.... he's a coward.
Very well said

Florida's SYG law does not contain a provision directly stating that one cannot provoke and incite another individual and then "Stand Your Ground". The result, is that there are evidently alot of idiots who feel empowered to do just that. The Common Law based on centuries of common sense stated that one had to make a token retreat before using deadly force when not at home. This was done because not all people where pure black or pure white hats and there are alot of grey area shootings.

Not only did Florida junk the common law / common sense concept, but they did it in a very clumsy way. In conrast, the Texas SYG clearly states one cannot incite the other party, or be in violation of any law then "stand your ground". In this case, engaging in a F- you, no F- you "discourse" while brake checking each other would clearly eliminate the SYG defense in Texas. Florida, however, is another matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
It does not help that Florida junked centuries of common law wisdom in such a clumsy manner. Florida's SYG law lacks a clear statement that one cant provoke the other individual, then gun him down. That is a receipe for more shootings.

Old 07-27-2015, 10:22 AM

3,515 posts, read 3,687,968 times
Quote:
Forty years ago everybody and their mother wasn't carrying a piece armed with the mentality fostered by stand-your-ground and a freaking off the chart understanding of what imminent threat actually means. I would bring up another factor but I'm not going there for the moment.

Crime has gone down in every single measurable way since then, so no, you're not talking about the "good old days." If anything it was far easier to acquire guns back then.

I think ultimately people are more stressed out than ever, the advent of smartphones and other technology doesn't help as people are always "ON" now, always connected, more tense and IMO, more willing to seek out a confrontation. I think its a product of our modern society, people being way more into the sympathetic and less the parasympathetic. Building up endless amounts of stress and frustration with no available outlet for release until one day some just blow up.

Old 07-27-2015, 11:00 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
Quote:
The gun ownership rate per household is just about the same as the 1960s. It was arguably much easier to purchase and carry a firearms in fact (the most sweeping federal legislation being the "Gun Control Act" of 1968).

That being said, gun violence has actually also decreased since that time. While a tragic event that the OP described, it's not a normal occurance and I would venture to guess it was more common in the 60s and 70s, however did not earn "front page" notice in the mass media of the time.

Old 07-27-2015, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
The entire Gulf coast region suffers high heat & humidity. I live in south Louisiana. We love our guns and hunting and we don't have this much road rage shooting cases.

You also don't have a high concentration of transplants. FL attracts a bad mix of people. Lots of decent people there, also lots of not so decent people there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events