Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 05:11 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,038,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Perhaps where YOU live that is true.
It was/is NOT true here! Depending on the time of year, quite often nearly every pickup on the road had a rifle (or two, or three) in a rack in the back window. Many of them had a pistol of some kind under the seat or in the glove compartment (or both).
Trespassers were often shot. There were very few trespassers.
There was no "road rage".
My mother kept a .32 short Colt revolver close to hand at all times, especially during the "hobo era".
Montana is an "open carry" state, and concealed carry permits are not required outside of cities. It is also spelled out in law exactly when a homeowner can use deadly force to defend his family and property.
Sorry, but your rant just doesn't hold water when examined in detail.
Montana.

What makes sense in Montana doesn't necessarily work in a place like New York City or Los Angeles. So, you anecdote holds little water for the areas where a large percentage of the population of the country actually lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2015, 05:18 PM

1,608 posts, read 3,078,179 times
Florida be crazy!

Old 07-27-2015, 05:37 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,327,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Well he is the WiseWINO
That you! Porto, a good Merlot... I may be a wino but I ain't cheap!

Old 07-27-2015, 06:00 PM

1,535 posts, read 1,392,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
And this...Cryptic his post was not about gun control!!!!!! We know that because he said so in bold capital letters. He's gonna yell at you as well.
My issue is not with guns, just Florida's SYG law.

Old 07-27-2015, 06:35 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Texans, Mexicans, Columbians, Cubans, and Hatians are all groups who have settled here. People from south of the border like that we have a good amount of Catholic churches and corn, bean, & rice food culture. Haitians like that their French is similar to Cajun & Creole French. We even have communities of Koreans, Vietnamese, and Philippine people because of our seafood and rice culture.
By transplants I meant those who come from up north, mainly NY and NJ.

Lot of hotheads who discover FL isn't the paradise they thought it was going to be and feel stuck there, so they're angry. They find that getting out of few months of snow and cold for several months of hot and miserably humid isn't what is cracked up to be. Many can't return up north because they can't afford to move back. So they're not happy about it. Many also never owned guns up north but seem to turn into Wyatt Earp once in FL.

This situation is a perfect example of people with short fuses and guns, add in FL's SYG law and you have a recipe for disaster.

Old 07-27-2015, 09:50 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,321,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummagumma View Post
Forty years ago you didn't have internet to read the local news from all over the US, and the newspapers / TV news outside of Florida would probably either not mention this case at all, or make a short soundbite. And you definitely woudln't post this story online and discuss it with people all over the world.

Let's see... forty years makes 1975... US murder rate was 9.6 /100 K.

In 2013 - 4.5/100k.

In other words, the murder rate in the US today is less than half of what it was forty years ago. Less than half.

So, relax. This is a terrible story, but forty years ago there was more than twice as many of these terrible stories, you just didn't have tools to learn about most of them.
I agree to a certain extent ... we just didn't have the means of communication 40 years ago that we have now. But the murder statistics you cite are greatly skewed by the fact that people today are far more likely to survive a shooting than they were 40 years ago. So they do not end up as "murder" statistics.

The FBI has trumpeted this fact for decades now. They are the first to say that Americans are no less violent. In fact, more people than ever are getting shot especially. From 2001 to 2011 alone, the number of people treated for gunshot attacks grew by nearly half. Our emergency medical care, however, is so much better that each year fewer people who are shot or stabbed actually die. EMTs respond quicker and doctors in ERs are able to save far more victims than they even did five years ago, let alone 40 years ago. The decline in murder victims isn't entirely explained by good medical care, but that's a major part of the equation that is overlooked when actual death statistics are the only thing considered.

But don't take it from me:
In Medical Triumph, Homicides Fall Despite Soaring Gun Violence - WSJ

Old 07-27-2015, 10:23 PM

8,105 posts, read 6,754,341 times
I live in an area where many people conceal carry...I keep that in mind while driving.

Old 07-28-2015, 07:20 AM

2,202 posts, read 2,304,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummagumma View Post
Forty years ago you didn't have internet to read the local news from all over the US, and the newspapers / TV news outside of Florida would probably either not mention this case at all, or make a short soundbite. And you definitely woudln't post this story online and discuss it with people all over the world.

Let's see... forty years makes 1975... US murder rate was 9.6 /100 K.

In 2013 - 4.5/100k.

In other words, the murder rate in the US today is less than half of what it was forty years ago. Less than half.

So, relax. This is a terrible story, but forty years ago there was more than twice as many of these terrible stories, you just didn't have tools to learn about most of them.
Good answer.

Old 07-28-2015, 08:35 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
I live in an area where many people conceal carry...I keep that in mind while driving.
After spending 30 minutes on YouTube watching Road Rage videos, I'm going to make sure I use the horn and hands a bit less when irritated.

There are crazy people out there.

Old 07-28-2015, 08:40 AM

3,038 posts, read 2,415,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
You realize Concealed carry is law in pretty much every state? With DC straggling behind?

The good news about CCW is they are extremely law abiding.

Per the Texas Dept Public Safety. "In Texas, citizens with concealed carry permits are 14 times less likely to commit a crime. They are also five times less likely to commit a violent crime."

But yes, gettign into altercations over driving is a terrible idea. Calm down, get to where you are going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events