Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2015, 03:06 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,618,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
I couldn't care less if Cecil smelled bad. He was collared since 1999, was extremely friendly, and a tourist attraction. He was living his life on protected ground. Palmer and company lured him away from the protected area and the dentist wounded him with an arrow. 40 hours later they located the animal, still alive and suffering. Does anyone actually believe that they relentlessly tracked that animal for 40 hours? Reports are that the "hunters" returned to camp, and continued their search later, at their convenience. Despicable.

And the pictures of Dr. Palmer grinning over the lion's dead body in no way substantiate his claim that he was "devastated" by the knowledge the lion was collared. In fact, there is no evidence of the collar in the pictures - why? Because it was removed and attempts were made to destroy it. Now we learn that killing this magnificent creature was not enough to satisfy his blood lust. He wanted to shoot an elephant after killing Cecil, but couldn't locate one big enough. If that doesn't turn your stomach, I don't know what does. The fact that he is being castigated for his actions doesn't bother me one bit.

There is just so much about this situation that is abhorrent to the general public. The guy deserves every bit of public shaming he is getting, and much more.
You're missing my point, but I fully expected most would. The guy pulled some unethical and dunderheaded stuff. No argument. But, because he killed a lion, OK, he was a fixture animal(and I've made myself plain, already, how I feel about fixtures) But, for people to be spouting off about taking their ire for the dentist out on his family, over a freaking lion, is wrong.

That animal is NOT worth hurting the guys family over. End of the day, Cecil was a predator, big cat. In reality, a pretty nasty critter. So, be pissed off about the dentists "hunting" ethics, fine. But leave his family alone. Far as I'm concerned, they are innocent of any wrongdoing, and their worth more than a damn lion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2015, 03:09 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,569,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
But that is not poaching. He bought the permits.
The weapon used was illegal.

AHhh, Again, "HE SHOT A TAGGED AND PROTECTED ANIMAL."

The guides would have known that. They lured the Lion out of a Preserve, is what's being claimed. If true, that's a Criminal act and Poaching. Permit to hunt or no permit to hunt.

Old 08-01-2015, 03:09 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,450,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post
One of the most repressive, anti-homosexual regimes on the planet. This dentist is a dumbass, prior history indicates that he's a habitual line-crosser of sorts but I do find it somewhat sad that it takes this incident to get people to pay attention to this country, not the horrific human rights violations, the genocide in the 80's, mass murder, torture, graft and vast corruption, starvation, but the death of a single animal.

Mugabe: 'I will propose to Obama'
I've read about Zimbabwe's plight. And the US still sends "humanitarian" money to them knowing full well it disappears into Mugbe's personal accounts.

Old 08-01-2015, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Or you could have just said so vs being mysterious. I'm on my nieces iPad ans there's only 8% power, I don't know where the cord is and she's in the shower...that's why I didn't google
Then you shouldn't have assumed. That's what the emotional, factLESS based twitter crowd does.

Old 08-01-2015, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris347 View Post

The guides would have known that. They lured the Lion out of a Preserve, is what's being claimed. If true, that's a Criminal act and Poaching. Permit to hunt or no permit to hunt.
That is still not POACHING. Zimbabwe said they want him because he used a bow and arrow and that's illegal.
No one can prove he specifically went after "Cecil".

Learn the difference.

Old 08-01-2015, 03:11 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,704,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris347 View Post

Don't forget, Palmer has done that before. He shot a bear 40 miles outside the hunting zone and drove it back the 40 miles to claim he killed it there.

Old 08-01-2015, 03:20 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,942,265 times
Quote:
Learn the difference. He's not a "poacher" because he paid his money to get a hunting permit from the government.

Poaching is illegal hunting. Palmer paid for and got a permit from the government.
Acts of poaching
Violations of hunting laws and regulations concerning wildlife management, local or international wildlife conservation schemes constitute wildlife crimes that are typically punishable.[12][13] The following violations and offenses are considered acts of poaching:

Hunting, killing or collecting wildlife that is listed as endangered by IUCN and protected by law such as the Endangered Species Act, the Migratory Bird Treaty Act of 1918 and international treaties such as CITES.[12]
Fishing and hunting without a license.[13][14]
Capturing wildlife outside legal hours and outside the hunting season;[12][13] usually the breeding season is declared as the closed season during which wildlife is protected by law.
Prohibited use of machine guns, poison, explosives, snare traps, nets and pitfall traps.[12]
Prohibited use of baiting with food, decoys or recorded calls in order to increase chances for shooting wildlife.[12]
Hunting from a moving vehicle or aircraft.[12]
Canned hunting is a particularly inhumane type of poaching wildlife as it often involves illegal activities such as trapping, caging or drugging animals, or cutting their feet with razor blades.[12]
Shining deer with a spotlight at night to impair its natural defenses and thus facilitate an easy kill is considered animal abuse.[15] This hunting method is illegal in California, Virginia, Connecticut, Florida and Tennessee.[12]
Taking wildlife on land that is restricted, owned by or licensed to somebody else.
The animal or plant has been tagged by a researcher.

Luring the lion off protected land just so it could be killed sounds pretty illegal to me. He may have had a hunting permit, but apparently I'm not the only one who feels he was poaching: the Zimbabwe government who issued the permit is considering him a "foreign poacher" because of his actions.

Old 08-01-2015, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
Acts of poaching
Violations of hunting laws and regulations concerning wildlife management, local or international wildlife conservation schemes constitute wildlife crimes that are typically punishable.[12][13] The following violations and offenses are considered acts of poaching:

Hunting, killing or collecting wildlife that is listed as endangered by IUCN and protected by law such as the Endangered Species Act, the Migratory Bird Treaty Act of 1918 and international treaties such as CITES.[12]
Fishing and hunting without a license.[13][14]
Capturing wildlife outside legal hours and outside the hunting season;[12][13] usually the breeding season is declared as the closed season during which wildlife is protected by law.
Prohibited use of machine guns, poison, explosives, snare traps, nets and pitfall traps.[12]
Prohibited use of baiting with food, decoys or recorded calls in order to increase chances for shooting wildlife.[12]
Hunting from a moving vehicle or aircraft.[12]
Canned hunting is a particularly inhumane type of poaching wildlife as it often involves illegal activities such as trapping, caging or drugging animals, or cutting their feet with razor blades.[12]
Shining deer with a spotlight at night to impair its natural defenses and thus facilitate an easy kill is considered animal abuse.[15] This hunting method is illegal in California, Virginia, Connecticut, Florida and Tennessee.[12]
Taking wildlife on land that is restricted, owned by or licensed to somebody else.
The animal or plant has been tagged by a researcher.

Luring the lion off protected land just so it could be killed sounds pretty illegal to me. He may have had a hunting permit, but apparently I'm not the only one who feels he was poaching: the Zimbabwe government who issued the permit is considering him a "foreign poacher" because of his actions.
Here's what government officials said. No charges have been filed against Palmer by Zimbabwe yet Zimbabwe says they have begun the extradition process.

Dentist Walter Palmer in contact with authorities over killing Cecil the lion
"We want him tried in Zimbabwe because he violated our laws," Oppah Muchinguri, Zimbabwe's environment minister, said in a news conference Friday. Palmer's use of a crossbow and arrow to hunt Cecil violated Zimbabwe hunting regulations, according to reports.

Zimbabwe officials are appealing to U.S. authorities for help and have begun the extradition process, Muchinguri said.

Old 08-01-2015, 03:37 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,618,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
I haven't read any post using that terminology. Seems like you just made that up!

No one thinks Cecil was a purring cat, etc.

He was somewhat 'tame' in the sense that he allowed himself to be photographed by tourists, that's all.

In fact, I believe there is no such thing as a tame carnivore, even those raised by humans.
O please! Of course I was deliberately exaggerating. But not being nearly so out of proportion as some of the lynch mob. It went over the top for me when the guys family got drug into the hang em' high rhetoric. Villifying his family , over a lions death, is just wrong. This is just a lion, not worth destroying an entire, human family over. His family didn't do anything, and , to me, their worth more than the cat.

I'm not defending this "hunt," or the dentist, but the cat is not worth destroying his family over, in addition to him. They will have a rough enough time, without any help from the nut case, animal rights mob.

Old 08-01-2015, 03:37 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,362,586 times
Quote:
Here's what government officials said. No charges have been filed against Palmer by Zimbabwe yet Zimbabwe says they have begun the extradition process.

Dentist Walter Palmer in contact with authorities over killing Cecil the lion
"We want him tried in Zimbabwe because he violated our laws," Oppah Muchinguri, Zimbabwe's environment minister, said in a news conference Friday. Palmer's use of a crossbow and arrow to hunt Cecil violated Zimbabwe hunting regulations, according to reports.

Zimbabwe officials are appealing to U.S. authorities for help and have begun the extradition process, Muchinguri said.
I can see that making sense. The tour guides were responsible for luring the animal from it protected area, and the dentist was responsible for violating regulations using the crossbow. Different offenses by different people during the same incident.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events