Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2015, 03:36 PM

35,052 posts, read 16,995,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Cecil the lion's killer revealed as American dentist - Telegraph

So, to sum up:
The lion was unlawfully lured out of a national park with bait. It was then shot over bait. It was then found the next day and shot and killed. The head and hide was taken - predictably, the rest was just discarded.

Since when is having someone else lure the game in with bait anything close to 'hunting'? Aside from the ethics of hunting, this clown did nothing of the sort. He sat on his ass while someone else put out raw meat to entice the lion out of its sanctuary, then he shot it - but it wasn't a killing shot - as it fed.

It's a pity the lion didn't have this fool for a meal.

More on this pathetic act:

Twin Cities dentist admits killing beloved lion, thought he was acting legally - StarTribune.com
I have to say; this story is probably the worst example of cruelty on this earth. Worse indeed than ISIS sticking someone in a cage and burning them alive. Or Iran decapitating a 14 year old summer camper based on rumors he is gay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2015, 03:42 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,948,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
What difference does it make if he followed the humans because he was friendly, or if he followed the food? He was still lured away from his protected area to a place where he could be killed. Nothing 'right' about what they did.
Who said what the guy did was right? Show me one post where I said or even remotely implied that was the guy did was right?

Come on. You can't, it doesn't exist. Get out of the B&W world and into the thinking one.

Alright CATDAD7X, does that alias come from liking cats? Would seem so.

Ever deal with a Feral cat? Notice how wary they are of humans? Would you say they make good pets? Why are they called feral? Is it because they become more wild than domesticated? Hmm?

Now what happens when you take a wild animal and arrange to have it come in contact with people all the time?

Didn't your parents ever teach you to stay away from wild animals? Ask most people proclaiming outrage on this topic. Yet they think its great that Cecil (gave it a name for crying out loud) was almost like a pet. He was the most photographed lion. Photographed in a natural environment? No, where he was in constant contact with humans.

Anyone with sense knows you do not keep wild animals in close proximity to humans unless you don't care about bad things happening to it. That is because once wild animals get used to being around humans they lose their fear of them and then it is just a matter of time before they end up dead...

like Cecil.

Old 07-30-2015, 03:46 PM

Cecil's family no doubt.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/...15_634x435.jpg

Isn't anyone thinking past the dentist?

Old 07-30-2015, 03:47 PM

This is why Cecil followed the truck. He didn't see people are threats and instead thought, fee fast food!

http://mediad.publicbroadcasting.net.../427461996.jpg

Old 07-30-2015, 03:50 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,529,606 times
You are beyond obtuse. You can't be for real.

Old 07-30-2015, 03:50 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,367,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Its 2015. We don't need to kill any animals for any reason. I find the outrage over this to be ridiculous. Its grandstanding behavior of the highest order.
Except for food or self defense, other than that I totally agree with you. Which is why I find the senseless killing of this lion 'outrageous', and wonder why you seem to think that outrage is ridiculous... since you seem to agree it was unnecessary. If all this negative reaction to Cecil's killing makes even one trophy hunter think twice about doing something like this, then some good may come of it.

Old 07-30-2015, 03:53 PM

Wait, how about a white blonde?

http://images.says.com/uploads/story...15466/a61f.jpg

This has been going on a long time. No one said a thing until Cecil but suddenly lets all get the big bad white dentist (I say white because the media sure makes a point of it as do many others here).

Zimbabwe as a country is as responsible as Palmer. They let Palmer into the country.

The people on CD instantly discovered he had poached before but Zimbabwe still sold him a permit to hunt lions? They don't have the Internet there?

They only sell a few dozen permits per year, they couldn't check?

Old 07-30-2015, 03:54 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
Except for food or self defense, other than that I totally agree with you. Which is why I find the senseless killing of this lion 'outrageous', and wonder why you seem to think that outrage is ridiculous... since you seem to agree it was unnecessary. If all this negative reaction to Cecil's killing makes even one trophy hunter think twice about doing something this, then some good may come of it.
Self defense, yes. Food? Not really. Not in this era. I find the outrage ridiculous because most people do use animal products for one reason or another and many of the same people are the ones crying about this damn lion.

People will justify animal killings when it meets their own internal moral standard but decry others who kill animals for their own reasons. I'll repeat, we do not NEED to kill for food in today's society. Plenty of people live healthy, long lives never touching meat.

Old 07-30-2015, 03:54 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,254,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
An elderly lion used to being around people, you forgot that part. I used this example before, but to me this was no different than luring an elderly man out of his retirement home and shooting him.

"Wildlife enthusiasts say Cecil, possibly Hwanges’s largest lion, was a favorite among visitors to the park as he was relaxed around safari vehicles."

"The 13-year-old lion was wearing a GPS collar as part of an Oxford University research project that had been running since 1999, making it possible to trace his last movements. Rodrigues said the hunters tried to destroy the collar, but failed."

Btw, there are 13 cubs they feel Jericho will now kill. Yeah, this was just great for the lions.

Wasn't any better for the locals:
"Bryan Orford, a professional wildlife guide who worked in Hwange and filmed Cecil many times, says the lion was the park’s “biggest tourist attraction. Not only a natural loss, but a financial loss.”

Orford calculates that with tourists from just one nearby lodge collectively paying U.S. $9,800 per day, Zimbabwe would have brought in more in just five days by having Cecil’s photograph taken
rather than being shot by someone paying a one-off fee of U.S. $45,000 with no hope of future revenue.

I hope they can sue him for lost revenues.
I wish there was some way to rescue the cubs. I know its how nature does it, but it wasn't nature, just a psycho human who killed the father. He should be made to return there and wait in jail like the locals they arrested.

Old 07-30-2015, 03:55 PM

5,792 posts, read 5,104,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairy Guy View Post
when the dog sees its owner, it sees protection and food, that's it. no dog sits there thinking about feelings and reminiscing. it's just an animal who works on instinct. breed and eat and sleep. that's what dogs do and lions as well. a social order is just that. an order. like i said, killing the lion pumped $50k into the economy. multiply that with hundreds of lions shot and it really helps out the locals.
No, just a few fat political hacks in that country. The locals stay poor and ignorant. You don't know very much about Africa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events