Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 11:47 AM

367 posts, read 457,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffon652 View Post

Furthermore, the whole point of my post was that most of the news stories aren't about the 5% of bad police action, its about the other 95% where people shouldn't even bat an eyelash. Yet, these 95% of stories lead to world coverage (Michael Brown) and an out pour of rage that would be better directed at better causes.
In the end, I do agree with you. But because an overwhelming majority of situations involving the police end either without incident or the officers actions are justifiable, does not excuse 5% of the situations not being handled appropriately. The media will never have an interest in fair reporting, they want clicks or views so that they can get more money to show car commercials. Law enforcement needs to have a better awareness of that, and not to put themselves in bad situations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffon652 View Post
Also, I should point out that 3% of the 5% you stated were scenarios in which I said that had the offender not escalated the scenario; the officer would have conducted himself in a professional manner.
I disagree with on this statement though. This is what makes a good cop: the ability to remain composed in their enforcement of the law. In a perfect world, the offender puts their hands behind their back right away and respectfully walks with the officer to the police car and sits down without resistance. That doesn't happen, and it's when officers need to remain composed. Excessive force is not justified. If anything the officer does in the arrest results in something that could result in a failure to convict the suspect of the offense, then I do not feel as though the officer acted appropriately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2015, 12:22 PM

1,094 posts, read 499,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
I know about a dozen "privileged idiots" who could use the same lesson; double-parking is usually the practice of people who have no respect for anyone else's rights.

If it cost him a healthy fine, so much the better.
A fine yes, a beating no-- that's something a police state does. Particularly ironic since you call yourself a "libertarian curmudgeon". Encouraging cops to beat up people for parking violations is not libertarian, it's police state behavior.

Old 07-31-2015, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoks View Post
And that is the problem with today's police officers. They are so sensitive and get butthurt so easily that they routinely escalate something like a parking ticket into a beatdown.
This, In my job five years ago I had to constantly deal with idiots talking back and giving me attitude. But a defining part of my job was to keep cool and not lash out. As professionals in public interactions, it's your job to maintain your calm and not get butthurt about someone acting like an idiot. People are wound up and stressed out in America these days, and a public officer of any sort is not supposed to escalate that. It's what a professional does.

Old 07-31-2015, 12:30 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,270,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corascant View Post
This, In my job five years ago I had to constantly deal with idiots talking back and giving me attitude. But a defining part of my job was to keep cool and not lash out. As professionals in public interactions, it's your job to maintain your calm and not get butthurt about someone acting like an idiot. People are wound up and stressed out in America these days, and a public officer of any sort is not supposed to escalate that. It's what a professional does.
Exactly.

Old 07-31-2015, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbkr5 View Post
Wouldn't bet against it. Right, wrong or whatever, a cop tells you to do something, DO IT!
This usually does work, but some cops are on a power trip and will beat you up/attack you even if you do follow their orders, and this is where the problem is. Many of the cop shootings earlier this year involved people being compliant with police-- that guy in the New York apartment (Akia Gurley) was shot on the stairs by that cop Ofc. Liang while minding his own business, not even a request to comply. And no, it isn't racial-- most of the people shot by cops earlier this year have been white actually, but doesn't matter, white or black or Latino or whatever, some cops will shoot or attack even someone who is being compliant with them, with the cops lying about it afterward.

I'm not saying most cops do this, yet it's smart to be respectful and compliant, and most people and cops will behave maturely in these situations. But some cops really are crooked and dangerous and will attack you while you are trying to comply. Plus there's also the issue of a lot of criminals getting fake cop badges and using them to assault or steal from people, so it's not even clear if the guy pulling you over is a cop. This can get difficult.

Old 07-31-2015, 12:53 PM

8,104 posts, read 6,747,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Many people have no clue that you are technically under a state of arrest while the LEO performs their duty or conducts an investigation. Sure you are not being physically immobilized, but if you attempt to flee or even leave the scene, you are subject to criminal charges.

Now I do not always agree with this premise as LEO's can and do make mistakes, and detain/stop people without legitimate cause.
However it is always much better to politely comply at the moment, and file a complaint after you are out of their control.
Trying to flee or resist arrest is a recipe for getting injured or worse.
Yet that seems to be the new thinking among youths, especially black youths. This will lead to more confrontations, which the grievance/race merchants will chalk up to race as the main factor. In reality it will be the attitude and lack of respect for authority that will be the main culprit.

`

`
Bottom line is if you are stopped by LEO be polite and let them do their job and most likely you will be OK. Use the same behavior as you would in a restaurant, would you intentiay **** off your waiter and take the chance that he would spit in your food?

Old 07-31-2015, 01:18 PM

37,593 posts, read 45,966,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin85 View Post
What do you call people like Dylan Roof who walked into a church and kills 9 innocent people or the Colorado movie theater shooter?

Ever since Trayvon Martin was killed up to the latest riot in Baltimore. Protesters are called "criminals & thugs" or even a black person committed a crime are labeled as a thug.

When fans in the UK, US or CAN riot over a soccer game, football game and ect they're called young people or misguided youth.
No, you aren't understanding the context. Dylan Roof is a mental wacko. A pyschopath. A seriously bad dude, to be sure, not certainly not someone I would ever label a "thug". He is FAR worse than what I consider a thug.

A thug is a violent bully, a gangster, a hoodlum, a mobster, a gang member. Certainly a different type of criminal that Dylan Roof.

Old 07-31-2015, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corascant View Post
Lots of people have to deal with idiots everyday as part of their job. Very few have to deal with them in usually potentially dangerous or life-threatening situations.

Old 07-31-2015, 01:23 PM

698 posts, read 587,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Lots of people have to deal with idiots everyday as part of their job. Very few have to deal with them in usually potentially dangerous or life-threatening situations.
Should every truck driver, roofer, logger, fisherman and construction worker be able to kill people at will too? Those jobs are all more dangerous than being a cop.

The notion that being a cop is incredibly dangerous is an enduring myth that is not backed up by actual statistics. In an average year less than 170 cops will die on the job, and less than 50 of those will be the result of a violent crime, the rest are accidents. For comparison about the same number of taxi drivers are killed each year as cops that die in violent episodes. Should every taxi driver be able to pull out a gun and shoot everyone that does not show them the proper respect?

Last edited by newtoks; 07-31-2015 at 01:33 PM..

Old 07-31-2015, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoks View Post
Should every truck driver, taxi driver, and convenience store cashier be able to kill people at will too? Those jobs are all more dangerous than being a cop.

The notion that being a cop is incredibly dangerous is an enduring myth that is not backed up by actual statistics.
LOL. Are you kidding me? Do you actually know any cops?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events