Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 03:36 PM

755 posts, read 675,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
Should we tap dance and shuffle as well?
This is not Sandra Bland.

I can't see why people can't follow simple instructions. You can even complain when you are complying, just comply. Cops are not beyond reproach, neither are some of the people they interact with.

"I am black, so I don't have to listen, because you guys are bad." Nah, I am not feeling that excuse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2015, 05:02 PM

8,518 posts, read 3,759,611 times
Its all well and good until the police state comes for you.......

Old 07-31-2015, 05:08 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,592,620 times
Originally Posted by Howest2008
No micheal brown was a thug who committed a strong arm robbery and wouldn't obey a police officer that told him to get out of the street after walking down the street from said robbery......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin85 View Post
What do you call people like Dylan Roof who walked into a church and kills 9 innocent people or the Colorado movie theater shooter?

Ever since Trayvon Martin was killed up to the latest riot in Baltimore. Protesters are called "criminals & thugs" or even a black person committed a crime are labeled as a thug.

When fans in the UK, US or CAN riot over a soccer game, football game and ect they're called young people or misguided youth.
I call Dylan Roof a Monster and I call Michael Brown a Thug , Monster is worst than THUG......

Old 07-31-2015, 05:29 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,592,620 times
Originally Posted by PuppetMaster1
Why do blacks always have to put up a fight when confronting officers? Just follow instructions instead of going wild and things will turn out better. Is it that hard to follow an officers commands without giving attitude and escalating the situation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman96 View Post
So much for that bogus claim. Before anyone responds with "oh I can go on YouTube and find..." Obviously you can, the point is generalizations need to die.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AQ--gTX06U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4wsTvTK-tc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVhWFlQTkAk
The three videos located above had me rolling on the floor , if the prep was Black African American he or she would have been " shot 100 times and handcuffed behind theirs backs (BLEEDING OUT) " .....you aren't helping your side explain this tidal wave of violence against unarmed African American.

Old 07-31-2015, 05:41 PM

2,248 posts, read 2,350,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
Originally Posted by PuppetMaster1
Why do blacks always have to put up a fight when confronting officers? Just follow instructions instead of going wild and things will turn out better. Is it that hard to follow an officers commands without giving attitude and escalating the situation?

The three videos located above had me rolling on the floor , if the prep was Black African American he or she would have been " shot 100 times and handcuffed behind theirs backs (BLEEDING OUT) " .....you aren't helping your side explain this tidal wave of violence against unarmed African American.
Umm, what? The intention of my argument was to show that every racial group has those who will use physical force to rebel against the police, which it did hence the lack of a response from the poster in question who made the asinine claim, and the reputation points I received.

Some random YouTube comment you quoted (which isn't mine anyways) doesn't invalidate that fact.

It's "perp" btw.

Old 07-31-2015, 06:33 PM

50,860 posts, read 24,371,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac1 View Post

I can't see why people can't follow simple instructions. You can even complain when you are complying, just comply. Cops are not beyond reproach, neither are some of the people they interact with.

"I am black, so I don't have to listen, because you guys are bad." Nah, I am not feeling that excuse.
Citizens don't have to be "beyond reproach". Cops are being paid to be "beyond reproach".

Old 07-31-2015, 06:37 PM

21 posts, read 26,343 times
From the video all I heard was a guy being overly dramatic and riling up the community. What was missing was what he did prior to when the cameras started rolling. We all need to know that before making an opinion.

Old 07-31-2015, 09:47 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Citizens don't have to be "beyond reproach". Cops are being paid to be "beyond reproach".

Quote:
Reproach: an expression of rebuke or disapproval,
one subjected to censure or scorn.

His conduct has brought shame and reproach to his family.
You want to change that post? I don't think you know what reproach means.

Cops are paid to be beyond disapproval? Cops are paid to be above scorn? Cops don't/cannot make mistakes?

Again, cops are not perfect, thus they are not beyond criticism, neither are the actions of dumb citizens who don't listen to instructions. Citizens are not beyond disapproval/reproach or criticism just because they are citizens and the police are the police. We have to hold citizens accountable for breaking the law?!

When a citizen breaks the law, they are not beyond reproach.

Old 07-31-2015, 10:12 PM

50,860 posts, read 24,371,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac1 View Post
You want to change that post? I don't think you know what reproach means.

Cops are paid to be beyond disapproval? Cops are paid to be above scorn? Cops don't/cannot make mistakes?

Again, cops are not perfect, thus they are not beyond criticism, neither are the actions of dumb citizens who don't listen to instructions. Citizens are not beyond disapproval/reproach or criticism just because they are citizens and the police are the police. We have to hold citizens accountable for breaking the law?!

When a citizen breaks the law, they are not beyond reproach.
No, I don't want to change a thing. "Beyond reproach" is not the same as beyond the law. "Beyond reproach" generally refers to behaving in such a way that you earn the respect of people to the extent they don't question your actions or motives. Not that the law can't intervene when people do stray.

I expect a professional person to do everything he or she can possibly do to be beyond reproach. Naturally, no one is perfect. Professionals make mistakes all the time. Some mistakes ought to be overlooked as being "just human". Some mistakes may need some type of rebuke or action. Some may even need to result in firing a person.

But killing a person unnecessarily is not a run of the mill mistake. It means you've snuffed out a life forever, and that ought to be darned necessary before it happens.

Now, I do tire, jamac1, of you twisting the words of posters, including me, to imply or sometimes outright say that we are saying something we are not. I NEVER said that citizens shouldn't be held accountable for breaking the law. In fact, if you go back through numerous posts in this and other threads, I say very clearly, swear out a warrant, arrest him, prosecute him, throw him in jail (if that's what the court decides). The difference is that we are paying a law officer to do a professional job in a legal manner. He swears to uphold his responsibilities in the professional manner, following all laws and regulations. We are not paying a citizen to behave in any certain way; but, sure, a citizen ought to behave in a civilized and legal manner.

Old 07-31-2015, 11:09 PM

phetaroi;40648191
Quote:
No, I don't want to change a thing. "Beyond reproach" is not the same as beyond the law. "Beyond reproach" generally refers to behaving in such a way that you earn the respect of people to the extent they don't question your actions or motives. Not that the law can't intervene when people do stray.
No definition needed. I provided the real one. Sorry you want to make it your own definition to fit your point, but it doesn't work that way. We are criticizing the actions of the police officer and the person who was shot. Beyond reproach means.....you cannot criticize. I said the police wasn't beyond reproach and neither was the driver. But you twist and turn as you pleas.

Quote:
I expect a professional person to do everything he or she can possibly do to be beyond reproach. Naturally, no one is perfect. Professionals make mistakes all the time. Some mistakes ought to be overlooked as being "just human". Some mistakes may need some type of rebuke or action. Some may even need to result in firing a person.
Why would you expect someone to try to do the impossible, after saying "no one is perfect", but in the same sentence, say you they need to strive for perfection? Who says he wasn't?
Quote:
But killing a person unnecessarily is not a run of the mill mistake. It means you've snuffed out a life forever, and that ought to be darned necessary before it happens.
That's your opinion. I believe the officer was afraid he was going to be injured. Did he overreact? could be. But at the time he believed it was reasonable, especially considering the car went down the street after the guy was shot. But maybe he put it in drive after the bullet entered his head.

Quote:
Now, I do tire, jamac1, of you twisting the words of posters, including me, to imply or sometimes outright say that we are saying something we are not. I NEVER said that citizens shouldn't be held accountable for breaking the law. In fact, if you go back through numerous posts in this and other threads, I say very clearly, swear out a warrant, arrest him, prosecute him, throw him in jail (if that's what the court decides). The difference is that we are paying a law officer to do a professional job in a legal manner. He swears to uphold his responsibilities in the professional manner, following all laws and regulations. We are not paying a citizen to behave in any certain way; but, sure, a citizen ought to behave in a civilized and legal manner.
This is not about posters, it is about your use of the word "reproach" in response to my post. You sound like every other person who uses past police incidents to judge the incident at hand, as if it has relevance to a separate situation. But, I understand, you are struggling to stand on your own two feet, so you feel like you can prejudice other readers here by saying I have a past history of disrespecting posters, thus they should ignore my calling you out on not using the word reproach appropriately....that's cool too.

To the rest of your post, it is hot garbage. We have a social contract and we should follow the orders of a police officer, period. The dude tried to takeoff in the middle of a traffic stop and refused to show his license. He absolutely did nothing the officer said, and he put the officer in a bad way and he lost his life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events