Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 10:10 AM

50,796 posts, read 24,310,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMysterious View Post
What anti-cop movement are you talking about??????????????? Are people going around harming/killing cops???? Don't think so. The most people are doing is speaking out against police brutality.

Just because some people here seem to be obsessed with "bad cops" doesn't mean the general public is out to get your precious cops.
And here's the thing a lot of the "excusers" don't seem to get. The cops keep complaining about a lack of support in communities for their job. Now let's see, did this incident cause an increase in that community of support for police, or a decrease in that community for support for police.

Having said that, the title thread here is an exaggeration. But then again, that's what most City Data threads under current events are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2015, 10:15 AM

24,487 posts, read 17,226,594 times
Great yet another overblown headline to stir the pot of police/ public relations.

People see these headlines and automatically jump to conclusions. They see the video and scream police brutality. Not many realize there is a build up of tension in any situation that in this situation probably went something like this.

Cop: You are double parked and need to move.
Driver: I'll move when I'm ready.
Cop: Move now or I will write you a ticket.
Driver: Go ahead I have friends in high places....

and there goes the blood pressure.

When are people going to get it that if they break the law or even bend it and get called on it by the authorities it will not bode well for them to cop and attitude.

With all the stress that police are under today I'm surprised we don't see more of this. Cops are literally putting their lives on the line everyday. They don't know if that car they just stopped is full of drunk kids, hard core drug dealers, illegal immigrants being put to work in the sex slave trade or a bunch of terrorists.
Today who knows?
The least that the average citizen can do is be on the side of the Police and don't escalate the tension. If you are not on the side of the law then you are on the wrong side and probably deserve a beat down.

Old 07-30-2015, 10:16 AM

3,658 posts, read 2,562,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMysterious View Post
No matter how the other person is acting, it should be expected of the police to maintain composure and do whatever they can to deescalate situations. Some of them argue back and flaunt their badge/power, and that's clearly problematic. Being stopped by cops is annoying; people are going to have attitudes, but cops should have better sense to not argue back.
Where do you draw the line? Having an attitude is one thing. Being an idiot motorist who will do anything and everything to defy a police officer is a what thugs do to earn a badge of courage among their peer thug members. I would never want to be a police officer. All the Monday morning quarterbacks know exactly the right thing to do. The only problem is they are sitting in front of a computer with no clue how to handle a dynamic situation.

Old 07-30-2015, 10:17 AM

1,069 posts, read 712,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoks View Post
And that is the problem with today's police officers. They are so sensitive and get butthurt so easily that they routinely escalate something like a parking ticket into a beatdown.
"please get out of the car"....the driver looks at you and says "no"

"if you dont get out of the car, i will remove you from the car"

does the officer have to say "pretty please with sugar on top"

Old 07-30-2015, 10:17 AM

50,796 posts, read 24,310,427 times
You know, I've seen this kind of attitude on the part of other professionals as well.

One year I had a small group of teachers in my school who actually said that parents should not have the right to question or criticize a teacher. And I said, "Well, that's odd. The principal questioned and criticized on a regular basis. So does the Superintendent. So does the Board Of Education. So does the state Secretary Of Education. So does the Governor. So does the President. So does the Pope. But you teachers are so special that no one is to criticize or question you."

Old 07-30-2015, 10:21 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,694,717 times
Things seemed to be mostly under control until "Flying White Cop" came into the picture. What, exactly, was he going to do that the other three hadn't. That's how a person pledged to serve and protect causes riots.

Cop should be on suspension.

And before you get all "cop hater" on me I am a supporter of policemen and women. I am not a supporter of those that do what he did. Totally unnecessary and an inflammatory action.

Old 07-30-2015, 10:22 AM

1,069 posts, read 712,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
You know, I've seen this kind of attitude on the part of other professionals as well.

One year I had a small group of teachers in my school who actually said that parents should not have the right to question or criticize a teacher. And I said, "Well, that's odd. The principal questioned and criticized on a regular basis. So does the Superintendent. So does the Board Of Education. So does the state Secretary Of Education. So does the Governor. So does the President. So does the Pope. But you teachers are so special that no one is to criticize or question you."
so during the course of the school day, would you advocate a parent, coming into the classroom to disrupt a teacher and criticize? i think not

Teachers and cops have 2 totally different jobs, so your analogy is flawed

if a police officer asks you to get out of the car, your only response should be "yes sir or yes maam?

no debating

damn, that is a simple concept

Old 07-30-2015, 10:24 AM

613 posts, read 463,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
Where do you draw the line? Having an attitude is one thing. Being an idiot motorist who will do anything and everything to defy a police officer is a what thugs do to earn a badge of courage among their peer thug members. I would never want to be a police officer. All the Monday morning quarterbacks know exactly the right thing to do. The only problem is they are sitting in front of a computer with no clue how to handle a dynamic situation.
I think a cop should only use force when they're being attacked, really. If someone is running off at the mouth, you don't have to bash their head in. :\

Old 07-30-2015, 10:26 AM

50,273 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin85 View Post
Here we go again New York. I hope this story make national headlines.

NYPD Cops Pull Man Out of Car and Beat Him for Double-Parking - PINAC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXuiDnprxls

Warning: Explicit Language
headlines for what, wasting tax payer money because you are an idiot, think you can park where you want and then lip off to the cops?

Because the video present is just that.

Old 07-30-2015, 10:28 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,128,778 times
Without seeing what transpired before the video was shot, I don't see an issue with the restraint/arrest.
I thought the perp was going to yell "Attica! Attica!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events