Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2015, 06:09 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,757,118 times

Advertisements

It seems to me that whatever point you are trying to make with this thread, this particular incident is a poor example to use to make it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2015, 06:29 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,122,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin85 View Post
I don't really bash cops, but it makes me mad all the stuff they do to people. You turn on the news everyday and hear about a cop who raped a woman, assaulted/murdered somebody for racial reasons, violated a persons civil right, etc. This alone is enough to **** me off, but then I come to find out the grand jury refused to charge them! As the old saying goes: "A grand jury will indict a turkey sandwich ... but never a police officer."
I agree with you on the last sentence. Under normal circumstances, a grand jury will almost always indict. Its function is solely to determine if there is adequate evidence to go to trial, not the guilt or innocence. In the Michael Brown case, you could see that the prosecutor was basically trying to present the full evidence (which is fine, though highly unusual) but also trying to steer the grand jury into not indicting Officer Wilson. There were no cross-examinations, because they are not required for a grand jury proceeding. So, the prosecutor was basically conducting a full trial all by himself, which is not what the grand jury proceeding is supposed to be.

As a reference, somebody did a study and found that, out of 162,000 cases before federal grand juries in 2010, only 11 did not result in an indictment. That's 0.0067%!! Mind boggling.

For the record, after reading the Justice Department's full report, I believe Officer Wilson was justified in shooting Brown. However, I believe the case should have gone to trial and the jury should have cleared him.

Mick

Old 07-31-2015, 06:31 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,122,636 times
Honestly, it pisses me off when:

1. Liberals act like the police is always wrong; and
2. Conservatives act like the police is always right.

How about we decide on a case-by-case basis on the merits? What is wrong with our country? We have to take a side and pretend our side is always, always right? That simply cannot be. Let's start acting rational. Ditto for politics.

Mick

Old 07-31-2015, 06:55 AM

12 posts, read 7,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post

How about we decide on a case-by-case basis on the merits? What is wrong with our country? We have to take a side and pretend our side is always, always right? That simply cannot be. Let's start acting rational. Ditto for politics.

Mick
Yeah, and conservatives always blame liberals for trying to build communism, but such police actions remind me of Commie USSR where people were arrested on the streets for no or the smallest reason.

Old 07-31-2015, 07:05 AM

299 posts, read 187,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin85 View Post
It must be Fox News.
1. You said most Americans so where is your facts to back such a claim. Technology also shows how many people make up lies about police like your video in this thread.

2. I guess you can't read because I said "groups".

3. Sorry I don't watch Fox,CNN,MSNBC. The fact that you don't how many people are upset about the useless riots that accomplish nothing and the rising crime nationwide shows your tunnel vision.

Last edited by GritsCode; 07-31-2015 at 07:15 AM..

Old 07-31-2015, 08:47 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,995,963 times
Quote:

Mick
MOST people look at things as a case by case, but on the Internet, people are pumping their agendas. This video doesn't show enough, but you have your agenda people trying to do their thing.

For the record, I don't like labels like "liberal" or "conservative". I am a fiscal conservative that would like to see government shrink. On top of that, I am for environmental friendly approaches. How can you label someone like me, that is fiscal conservative, yet wants sustainability?

Anyway, I sometimes am for the police, sometimes not. I do feel the police hiring process is flawed. You really don't want the military types in this job for the most part. Having a high and tight and being super hyped up and macho isn't exactly a public service. Using your mind and defusing things would be a much better approach, instead of just shooting people that pose no threat. Sure, there are times shooting is going to happen and it will be the only option, but the person you shoot better be armed and putting someone in danger, not just running around not near anyone to harm them. Being a cop can be a very hard job in most cities, but they need to do a better job hiring. Get rid of the testosterone filled guys. That isn't a good fit.

Old 07-31-2015, 09:03 AM

299 posts, read 187,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
MOST people look at things as a case by case, but on the Internet, people are pumping their agendas. This video doesn't show enough, but you have your agenda people trying to do their thing. I agree!

For the record, I don't like labels like "liberal" or "conservative". I am a fiscal conservative that would like to see government shrink. On top of that, I am for environmental friendly approaches. How can you label someone like me, that is fiscal conservative, yet wants sustainability? I'm neither liberal nor conservative and I agree I don't like the labels neither.

Anyway, I sometimes am for the police, sometimes not. I do feel the police hiring process is flawed. You really don't want the military types in this job for the most part. Having a high and tight and being super hyped up and macho isn't exactly a public service. Using your mind and defusing things would be a much better approach, instead of just shooting people that pose no threat. Sure, there are times shooting is going to happen and it will be the only option, but the person you shoot better be armed and putting someone in danger, not just running around not near anyone to harm them. Being a cop can be a very hard job in most cities, but they need to do a better job hiring. Get rid of the testosterone filled guys. That isn't a good fit.
But the law does say an officer can use deadly force against someone even if they are unarmed under certain circumstances. I don't agree that someone shouldn't be hired just because they were in the military. Better testing would be the answer. A lot of police departments around the country lower their standards in hiring just to get people to apply.

Old 07-31-2015, 09:27 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,908,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoks View Post
Why not just write the man a parking ticket and move on? Why was it necessary to remove him from the car? Being rude to a cop is not a crime.
Why not actually research the full picture?

Quote:
The NYPD’s Internal Affairs Bureau is reviewing the incident, in which Timothy Nelson, 24, was dragged from his car after he was pulled over for making an illegal U-turn at E. 229 Street and Laconia Avenue in Edenwald, police said.

Cops said Nelson had been double-parked before making the illegal U-Turn and several other turns without using a signal...

The criminal complaint filed in Bronx court said Nelson flailed his arms as cops tried to cuff him.
NYPD cops scuffle with Bronx man during traffic stop: video - NY Daily News

NOTE all the stories on the sidebar of crap the cops address on a daily basis:

Teen mom with dead baby in a bag in a store
2 toddlers found wandering Bronx alone wearing dirty diapers
Brooklyn teen stabs dad dead
Dead guy found in Bronx lake
3 year old brutally beaten dead by grandfather
Hit and run
3 men shot on street corner
Bronx dad lies about how baby was injured
Woman kills ex BF
Teacher sex with student
Perv broke in and gropes woman in her apt
Man shot in head on corner
Murdered mom found in apt by daughters
Bronx man shot dead on the street with daughter in his arms

Get out of the damn car if the cops request it. Or don't bother calling them when YOU NEED THEM.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 07-31-2015 at 09:38 AM..

Old 07-31-2015, 09:39 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,036,240 times
Quote:

That is pretty much the reality of it. But I think it's a lot easier for liberals to admit that the police are sometimes right, then it is for conservative police apologists to admit the police could even possibly be wrong one time.

Example, I don't know any liberals who don't get a warm fuzzy feeling reading a story about a cop saving a baby kitten. But I have heard a lot of conservatives defending cops no matter how wrong they are. Cop shoots little black kid with toy gun. Well, it's too bad, but the cop couldn't be 100% sure that the toy gun is not real, and the cop can't accept even the smallest risk to his personal safety.

Old 07-31-2015, 10:03 AM

8,105 posts, read 6,758,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Why when obvious troll threads are started, do some posters feed the trolls?
It is clear just by the title alone mentioning the guys race, it was done to stir the pot.
Or maybe just show another example about a certain segment of our society who do not know the definition of compliance.

Last edited by Above Average Bear; 07-31-2015 at 10:15 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events