Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 10:10 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,719,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin85 View Post
I remember that name of the song by Justin Timberlake. It's a cool song
God, I'm old.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Gn9A-kdsRo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2015, 10:11 AM

1,488 posts, read 1,968,485 times
Funny how most of these "police injustice" videos occur because it involves a degenerate that refuses to cooperate with the police in a civil manner even when they are in the wrong. Until the majority of police cases involve situations like the video below, we don't have a police problem in this country.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nrqFaSRclc

What we have currently is a country where more and more people take the attitude where no personal accountability exists. People are so stuck in this mentality that they look at only part of a scenario that fits their lacking morals and places the blame on a party that probably did the right thing. Case in point, the video the OP posted. Funny how it only starts right when the man is being pulled out of the car. We have no clue what led to the confrontation because chances are that this man's own actions cased him to be pulled out of his car.

This theory is supported by the rest of the video. Because even after being pulled out of the car, he refuses to give up his hands to be cuffed (leading to more use of force) and is kicking, screaming and resisting the entire way. Had he just accepted the ticket (which he deserved) like a civilized human being who lives in a first world country; he would have been on his way. Instead he acted like a moron and got what he deserved.

Currently most of the use of force involving the police in this country goes something like this:

85%: A degenerate escalates a situation where the police legally have him/her detained and gets arrested for being a moron.

10%: A degenerate escalates a situation where the police legally have him/her detained, officer is also brash/aggressive and uses a questionable amount (but still legal) of force. The moron is arrested and officer faces no consequences.

3%: A degenerate escalates a situation and the officer is an equal degenerate. He abuses his authority, uses an excessive amount of force and this results in an unlawful arrest.

1%: The person was initially lawfully detained. However, the officer is a racists, sociopath, degenerate or just plain evil etc. he escalates a situation which clearly didn't need any force and arrests an innocent person.

.7%: The person was initially lawfully detained. However, the officer is a racists, sociopath, degenerate or just plain evil etc. he escalates a situation which clearly didn't need any force and seriously injures/kills an innocent person.

.3%: Unlawful stop which results in an unlawful arrest, serious injury or death.

So yeah don't see a problem here. The morally lacking crowd go ahead and keep crying "police brutality" instead of telling scumbags to stop fighting the police when they are wrong. We may not know your real name but based on your morally lacking views posted on CD we will know whose posts/threads can be ignored without wasting our time.

Old 07-31-2015, 10:23 AM

8,105 posts, read 6,758,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffon652 View Post
Funny how most of these "police injustice" videos occur because it involves a degenerate that refuses to cooperate with the police in a civil manner even when they are in the wrong. Until the majority of police cases involve situations like the video below, we don't have a police problem in this country.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nrqFaSRclc

What we have currently is a country where more and more people take the attitude where no personal accountability exists. People are so stuck in this mentality that they look at only part of a scenario that fits their lacking morals and places the blame on a party that probably did the right thing. Case in point, the video the OP posted. Funny how it only starts right when the man is being pulled out of the car. We have no clue what led to the confrontation because chances are that this man's own actions cased him to be pulled out of his car.

This theory is supported by the rest of the video. Because even after being pulled out of the car, he refuses to give up his hands to be cuffed (leading to more use of force) and is kicking, screaming and resisting the entire way. Had he just accepted the ticket (which he deserved) like a civilized human being who lives in a first world country; he would have been on his way. Instead he acted like a moron and got what he deserved.

Currently most of the use of force involving the police in this country goes something like this:

85%: A degenerate escalates a situation where the police legally have him/her detained and gets arrested for being a moron.

10%: A degenerate escalates a situation where the police legally have him/her detained, officer is also brash/aggressive and uses a questionable amount (but still legal) of force. The moron is arrested and officer faces no consequences.

3%: A degenerate escalates a situation and the officer is an equal degenerate. He abuses his authority, uses an excessive amount of force and this results in an unlawful arrest.

1%: The person was initially lawfully detained. However, the officer is a racists, sociopath, degenerate or just plain evil etc. he escalates a situation which clearly didn't need any force and arrests an innocent person.

.7%: The person was initially lawfully detained. However, the officer is a racists, sociopath, degenerate or just plain evil etc. he escalates a situation which clearly didn't need any force and seriously injures/kills an innocent person.

.3%: Unlawful stop which results in an unlawful arrest, serious injury or death.

So yeah don't see a problem here. The morally lacking crowd go ahead and keep crying "police brutality" instead of telling scumbags to stop fighting the police when they are wrong. We may not know your real name but based on your morally lacking views posted on CD we will know whose posts/threads can be ignored without wasting our time.
Although the posted video shows a totally unjustified shooting, the rest of your post is spot on.

Old 07-31-2015, 10:33 AM

367 posts, read 458,482 times
Quote:

So yeah don't see a problem here.
So, you find it acceptable for 5% of the time, the officer to be in the wrong as well? One out of 20 times?
In a city as large as New York City, that 5% would result in multiple occurrences of those issues per day. If that occurs at that rate, then said department has a serious internal problem and it should be called out in the media.

Shouldn't someone who is stopped, have the confidence that the officer is going to have complete integrity in carrying out the process? Especially when you are saying that 1 out of 20 times, it is not?

I realize you were trying to make another point, and that other point is something I agree with. But it doesn't justify this 5%, if its occurring with a department; and said department needs to be scrutinized.

Departments need to have zero tolerance for this kind of behavior, not 5% tolerance.

Old 07-31-2015, 11:07 AM

50,860 posts, read 24,371,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
For the record, after reading the Justice Department's full report, I believe Officer Wilson was justified in shooting Brown. However, I believe the case should have gone to trial and the jury should have cleared him.

Mick
I was going to say -- see how you assume police innocence. But then in your next post you seem rather balanced.

Old 07-31-2015, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
MOST people look at things as a case by case, but on the Internet, people are pumping their agendas. This video doesn't show enough, but you have your agenda people trying to do their thing.

For the record, I don't like labels like "liberal" or "conservative". I am a fiscal conservative that would like to see government shrink. On top of that, I am for environmental friendly approaches. How can you label someone like me, that is fiscal conservative, yet wants sustainability?

Anyway, I sometimes am for the police, sometimes not. I do feel the police hiring process is flawed. You really don't want the military types in this job for the most part. Having a high and tight and being super hyped up and macho isn't exactly a public service. Using your mind and defusing things would be a much better approach, instead of just shooting people that pose no threat. Sure, there are times shooting is going to happen and it will be the only option, but the person you shoot better be armed and putting someone in danger, not just running around not near anyone to harm them. Being a cop can be a very hard job in most cities, but they need to do a better job hiring. Get rid of the testosterone filled guys. That isn't a good fit.
One of the few balanced posts I see here.

Old 07-31-2015, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducky305 View Post
But the law does say an officer can use deadly force against someone even if they are unarmed under certain circumstances. I don't agree that someone shouldn't be hired just because they were in the military. Better testing would be the answer. A lot of police departments around the country lower their standards in hiring just to get people to apply.
I didn't used to feel that way. But the more I think of it, the job of a soldier is to kill the enemy. I wonder how successful many former-military/now police officers are at changing that perspective.

Old 07-31-2015, 11:29 AM

1,488 posts, read 1,968,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
Although the posted video shows a totally unjustified shooting, the rest of your post is spot on.
Thanks! By the way the video was just supposed to be an example of exactly what you stated; an unjustified shooting. I posted it to show a scenario that justifies outrage by the public against the police vs all these minor scenarios posted on CD where people want to start lynch mobs to crucify the police over nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica2099 View Post
So, you find it acceptable for 5% of the time, the officer to be in the wrong as well? One out of 20 times?
In a city as large as New York City, that 5% would result in multiple occurrences of those issues per day. If that occurs at that rate, then said department has a serious internal problem and it should be called out in the media.

Shouldn't someone who is stopped, have the confidence that the officer is going to have complete integrity in carrying out the process? Especially when you are saying that 1 out of 20 times, it is not?

I realize you were trying to make another point, and that other point is something I agree with. But it doesn't justify this 5%, if its occurring with a department; and said department needs to be scrutinized.

Departments need to have zero tolerance for this kind of behavior, not 5% tolerance.
Its not acceptable in the sense of a perfect society. Unfortunately, that has never existed and never will. In the sense of the real world where we live, past police activity, police corruption around the world and the fact that we live in a world where you cant have perfection; this rate is ok. Not ok as in we should not strive to make it better, but ok as in compared to the rest of the world we are doing a damn good job. There are countries where you have to bribe the police just to file a report that your daughter was raped. And the same police that took that bribe will go ask the suspect how much more he can bribe them so they let him go. Compared to that I find it comical that some people in the US actually have the gall to be outraged over a scumbag that violated the law, resisted the police and then got dragged out of his car. Yet, its the police that are at fault.

Furthermore, the whole point of my post was that most of the news stories aren't about the 5% of bad police action, its about the other 95% where people shouldn't even bat an eyelash. Yet, these 95% of stories lead to world coverage (Michael Brown) and an out pour of rage that would be better directed at better causes.

Also, I should point out that 3% of the 5% you stated were scenarios in which I said that had the offender not escalated the scenario; the officer would have conducted himself in a professional manner. Not saying that makes it ok, just saying that in those 3% police injustice was the result of the offenders actions. For example, the Sandra Bland case. The cop was dead wrong for arresting her. However, had she just been professional, she would have left that traffic stop with a mere warning.

Old 07-31-2015, 11:31 AM

16,603 posts, read 8,625,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Seriously? SO....let's say a cop is writing you a ticket for something. You think you should just be able to leave the scene...without any repercussions? As long as you don't assault the officer, you should be able to do whatever you want?
Many people have no clue that you are technically under a state of arrest while the LEO performs their duty or conducts an investigation. Sure you are not being physically immobilized, but if you attempt to flee or even leave the scene, you are subject to criminal charges.

Now I do not always agree with this premise as LEO's can and do make mistakes, and detain/stop people without legitimate cause.
However it is always much better to politely comply at the moment, and file a complaint after you are out of their control.
Trying to flee or resist arrest is a recipe for getting injured or worse.
Yet that seems to be the new thinking among youths, especially black youths. This will lead to more confrontations, which the grievance/race merchants will chalk up to race as the main factor. In reality it will be the attitude and lack of respect for authority that will be the main culprit.

`

`

Old 07-31-2015, 11:39 AM

16,603 posts, read 8,625,712 times
Quote:

I have no idea where you pulled those numbers from, nor does your 5% figure hold water. There are over 320+ million citizens in this country, and over 1+million LEO's. If that 5% figure were even close, police misconduct would have been daily news for decades to the point of us becoming desensitized to it.

So despite a recent rash of news stories trying to find legs, the overwhelming majority of police misconduct situations still stand out as an anomaly, not the 5% you speculate on.

`
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events