Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 06:00 AM

1,535 posts, read 2,373,878 times

Advertisements

I mean really, c'mon Mayberry.............

Some North Carolina officials refuse to perform marriages
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2015, 06:22 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times
The state has made arrangements to cover the need. The people recusing themselves are totally getting out of the marriage business, so they aren't discriminating. They are not failing to preform their job as defined by the state. What is the issue?

Quote:
The North Carolina law exempts magistrates and assistant and deputy register of deeds workers from carrying out all marriage ceremonies — gay and heterosexual couples — for at least six months when they notify their bosses of the religious objection. Register of deeds issue marriage licenses, while magistrates have authority to officiate marriages.

The chief District Court judge or the county register of deeds — both elected officials — would carry out marriage transactions if no one else was available. Magistrates from elsewhere willing to marry gay couples would be brought in if all area magistrates recused themselves.
I salute North Carolina for addressing the issue before it became a circus like in Kentucky.

Old 09-04-2015, 07:24 AM

24,502 posts, read 17,239,538 times
People have the right to believe in God and take the "Christian" beliefs as far as they want to. I put Christian in quotes because in my life I have met more people that claim to be good Christians yet their deeds and actions speak otherwise. This doesn't seem to be an issue with other religions.

Anyways, You have a right to believe in what you want and a same sex couple has the right to believe in what they want. It is not very "Christian" to stand in the way of peoples happiness. If you don't like what they are doing then step aside and let someone else help them out.

Old 09-04-2015, 07:29 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,831,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick View Post
I mean really, c'mon Mayberry.............

Some North Carolina officials refuse to perform marriages

Bias towards the south rears its head again.

This has nothing to do with what's happening in KY. The law in NC provides a remedy for those whose religious convictions bar them from performing same-sex marriages.

Good try, though.

Old 09-04-2015, 07:30 AM

1,092 posts, read 1,148,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
The state has made arrangements to cover the need. The people recusing themselves are totally getting out of the marriage business, so they aren't discriminating. They are not failing to preform their job as defined by the state. What is the issue?

I salute North Carolina for addressing the issue before it became a circus like in Kentucky.
Exactly, NC has made arrangements so that the rights of all are respected. Hopefully the NC law only applies only to existing clerks (the current compromise should be a stopgap measure not a permanent solution). The permanent solution is to only hire those willing to administer the business of the state whether they take personal offense to it or not. Once the exempted clerks retire, all clerks will be required to perform the same duties.

Old 09-04-2015, 07:32 AM

167 posts, read 168,030 times
i don't hear the christians complaining about the divorce rate...God doesn't care much for divorce either. I'm pretty sure the christian divorce rate is the same as everyone else's.

Old 09-05-2015, 08:14 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,945,990 times
The defiance against the legalization of same sex marriage is rather modest.

Of course there is the very high profile case of Kim Davis, who is now sitting in jail, in Kentucky.

However, keep in mind that there are over 3,100 counties in this nation of 320,000,000 ... and same sex couples are getting marriage licenses in over 99% of them. In my view, this isn't much of a "backlash."

Old 09-05-2015, 10:32 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,630,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post

Bias towards the south rears its head again.

This has nothing to do with what's happening in KY. The law in NC provides a remedy for those whose religious convictions bar them from performing same-sex marriages.

Good try, though.
Read the whole article.

Quote:
The North Carolina law exempts magistrates and assistant and deputy register of deeds workers from carrying out all marriage ceremonies — gay and heterosexual couples — for at least six months when they notify their bosses of the religious objection. Register of deeds issue marriage licenses, while magistrates have authority to officiate marriages.

The chief District Court judge or the county register of deeds — both elected officials — would carry out marriage transactions if no one else was available.

Old 09-06-2015, 02:26 AM

381 posts, read 277,644 times
Excellent news. I hope this catches on throughout the country.I'm sick of the cowtowing to the minority interest.

Old 09-06-2015, 02:31 AM

19,029 posts, read 14,209,414 times
The powers that rule us want our obedience and our wealth.
But they need our consent most of all.
They do not like it when we refuse assent to their laws that are not for the greater good.

That's why the mass media strives to make it appear that a "majority" approve of whatever is being done.
Because if they get a whiff that something is upsetting the sheeple, they get antsy.
Human nature at work - only when one's "ox is gored," do we rise to the occasion.

Just look at ONE CLERK'S REFUSAL to obey - - - she is galvanizing opposition - nationwide - to the scam going on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events