Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2015, 11:42 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,648,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Buy the same token of calling SS "welfare", so IS A PENSION PLAN. Not a 401k, 403b or other that you pay into, but a tried and true benefit plan YOU PAID NOTHING IN TO, but that YOUR EMPLOYER Pays out to you in return for years for your devoted service.

My father worked for a "Fortune 110" {top ten} company too, His "pension" is something he never paid into, but he gets from the company, now having received an equal number of years of pension as years of service!

THAT's what pi$$es ME off...those who pull those down pensions and yet call SS "welfare".

I have NEVER worked for a company that offered a pension, BUT I HAVE paid into, and will continue to pay into, SS. I EXPECT an "Entitlement" for paying into it all these years.

Its all interpretations of the "Clear English Language", in some cases.

*Sigh*
Pension plans vary widely. Some certainly do require employee contributions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2015, 03:58 AM

5,222 posts, read 3,024,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
The Roman empire also bit off more than it could chew . endless wars of conquest bankrupted them as well . the reason monarchs get beheaded is somebody is desperate . do we want a desperate America ?
That they did. However, so has the US. Still doesn't change the fact that all of the social programs they had for the poor contributed to their down fall.

Old 09-07-2015, 03:58 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,168,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloforLife View Post
So when there was a water leak in my home while on vacation causing substantial damage, you are saying I received welfare from the insurance company for the repairs? My premiums for many years are similar to payroll deductions for SS.
No, they couldn't be more dissimilar.

You voluntarily chose to purchase insurance. By contrast, you are required by federal law to contribute to SS.

Old 09-07-2015, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Social Security is an insurance program.
If an insurance company (mis)managed their funds the way the federal government has (mis)managed the SS fund, it would be shuttered and the executives would be imprisoned.

Old 09-07-2015, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydive Outlaw View Post
Social Security is welfare that a taxpayer is required to pay into.

If Social Security was not a form of welfare then everyone that paid in would have an account with an amount they paid in, accessible to them and/or be an asset that they could leave to heirs or invest in any way they chose.

The government requires a contribution to Social Security, dictates the terms, controls the distribution and amount a person receives. It is welfare.

A single guy making $50,000 a year pays the SAME amount into Social Security as a guy that is married with two kids. Yet if the guy with two kids dies when his kids are minors, they get survivor benefits until they are 18 and his wife gets part of his Social Security when she is older, even if she never worked.

In order for Social Security to not be welfare: a person that pays into it and has dependants should pay more into it.

Otherwise: Its welfare.
It's welfare by its original intent.

Old 09-07-2015, 04:13 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,574,853 times
SS, SSDI, Medicare, and Unemployment Insurance are not ''welfare''. Employees pay into these and use them when they need them.

Medicaid, SSI, ADC, EBT -food stamps- funding comes from the government i.e., tax-payer funding.

People who get SSI did not pay into, or pay ''enough'' into SS during their working life.

There are many different kinds of Medicaid. Some short-term/emergency. All more and more difficult to get on as the purse strings draw tighter.

Old 09-07-2015, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
SS, SSDI, Medicare, and Unemployment Insurance are not ''welfare''. Employees pay into these and use them when they need them.
They are programs, in which participation is mandated by govt, that provide a minimum level of support for some at the expense of others, thus, they are welfare.

Old 09-07-2015, 05:42 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,372,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post

Medicaid, SSI, ADC, EBT -food stamps- funding comes from the government i.e., tax-payer funding.

People who get SSI did not pay into, or pay ''enough'' into SS during their working life.

There are many different kinds of Medicaid. Some short-term/emergency. All more and more difficult to get on as the purse strings draw tighter.
Medicaid has changed since Obamacare in some states.

It goes JUST by INCOME......no means test........that can make it very easy to get.

Old 09-08-2015, 12:14 AM

7,083 posts, read 8,959,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post

And don't kid yourself. That 13% you pay out of every paycheck is going to current retirees, not to some pool of funds that you'll get back. It's a giant Ponzi scheme and has been from the start.
This is why SS is a "tax" and a "welfare" program. Whether you get back more than you paid in or less than you paid in depends on how many years you worked before 1983 vs. how many years you worked after 1983 when the SS tax was doubled, and still the program will become insolvent.

1. They could cut benefits.
2. They could raise the retirement age.
3. They could raise the tax rate.

#1 will never happen because of senior citizens high propensity for voting so the retirement age will likely go up along with the withholding rates.

My wife and I have IRAs and 401ks because we will have a better chance of being abducted by aliens than ever getting a SS check.

Old 09-08-2015, 12:28 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,922,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
This is why SS is a "tax" and a "welfare" program. Whether you get back more than you paid in or less than you paid in depends on how many years you worked before 1983 vs. how many years you worked after 1983 when the SS tax was doubled, and still the program will become insolvent.
.................................................. ....................... My wife and I have IRAs and 401ks because we will have a better chance of being abducted by aliens than ever getting a SS check.
First, how many years you worked before versus after 1984 (when the increases voted in 1983 actually went into effect) is indeed one factor in whether you will get all your money back, but an even greater factor is how long you end up living. A person who lives to a ripe old age will get more than his money back regardless.

Second, it is ignorant to say you will never get an SS check. In fact, it is a virtual certainty that you will get one; even if nothing is done before 2032 to tweak the system you will still receive 75% of promised benefits after 2032. That is still a check even if it is a smaller one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events