Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 01:51 PM

5,796 posts, read 5,117,369 times

Advertisements

Yes, and as more and more people in this country live longer and healthier lives, the amount they put into SS previously steadily decline relative to what they are taking out at retirement and beyond (with their spouses). Hence a real and pressing need for SS reform so that it does not go broke down the road for those of us who are still quite young and slaving away and paying into this system.....

It's an entitlement accrued from your whole working life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2015, 01:52 PM

348 posts, read 372,854 times
Yes, both Social Security and Medicare are welfare programs, and in fact they are the world's largest welfare programs, compromising ~40% of ALL federal US government spending.

Old 09-04-2015, 01:55 PM

2,526 posts, read 1,598,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAL9000 View Post
Yes, both Social Security and Medicare are welfare programs, and in fact they are the world's largest welfare programs, compromising ~40% of ALL federal US government spending.
Huh … By that "logic," anybody who pays insurance premiums and later receives benefits is "on welfare" ...

Old 09-04-2015, 02:02 PM

17,608 posts, read 13,397,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
I understand your frustration. The original description of the term entitlement is as dpm1 stated. However, it's been converted in the media to mean payments also made to people who never contributed anything in, such as illegal immigrants.

If the 2nd meaning now used of entitlements is what's construed, you're darn right, I paid this money in myself. In fact, I paid in double to most since I'm self employed with my own corporation.
I think you hit it. The media is lumping SS in with welfare to give a much larger percentage connotation. I'm still pi$$ed

Old 09-04-2015, 02:02 PM

4,879 posts, read 6,943,541 times
Quote:
No welfare here. Just pay me back without interest everything I've paid in over the 43 working years that I've paid in and I'll be ecstatic.

A close friend of mine died a month ago 1 month before his 62nd birthday where he could have started receiving reduced SS payments. He paid in all those years and collected zippo. Think about how many people die before they can collect one penny and have paid in for decades.

Those that are allowed to collect SS payments without having paid in a dime ARE collecting the equivalence of welfare.

Old 09-04-2015, 02:07 PM

2,630 posts, read 1,458,112 times
Quote:
So when there was a water leak in my home while on vacation causing substantial damage, you are saying I received welfare from the insurance company for the repairs? My premiums for many years are similar to payroll deductions for SS.

Old 09-04-2015, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Horse puckeys

This is why I am pi$$ed off. SS is not welfare, I earned it. It has not been given to me by the almighty government teat to make sure I keep the same worthless idiots in DC. No one is doing me a favor, or buying my vote by giving me something that I didn't earn.

Old 09-04-2015, 02:09 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,558,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Horse puckeys

This is why I am pi$$ed off. SS is not welfare, I earned it. It has not been given to me by the almighty government teat to make sure I keep the same worthless idiots in DC. No one is doing me a favor, or buying my vote by giving me something that I didn't earn.
Does it help you fare well?

Last edited by Mr_Geek; 09-04-2015 at 02:18 PM..

Old 09-04-2015, 02:11 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,478,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
i was at a large meeting yesterday to help a relative with changes in medical coverage.

Backstory: Relatives spouse worked for a fortune 100 company. (actually in top ten) the company is transitioning company paid insurance for retirees to medicare with additional financial support offered by the company to assist in the change. Several hundred in attendance

before the meeting, people were milling around talking over coffee.

A group of younger retirees complained that they didn't want to go on welfare and social security (to them) was welfare. Not knowing them, i walked over and explained that all americans pay into ss and will collect benefits at certain ages.

One man argued that he had his pension that his union fought hard to get. I asked if he also paid into ss, "yes, of course" he said. I told him that he will also get ss benefits including medicare. He loudly stated that he will not go on welfare. There was nothing else i could say, so i walked away

reading many posts in c-d and seeing stories on the news, t see that more and more social security and medicare are being called entitlements (i won't go farther than that idiot's claim of welfare)

entitlement, my a$$! I worked and paid my taxes and social security deductions for almost 60 years. My money was supposed to be put in trust for me, it wasn't but that's another ***** that i have. I earned my social security benefit over years and years of hard work. For many years 60-89 hours a week.

My benefits are not welfare. My benefits are not entitlements. My benefits are a pay out of an insurance policy that my employers and i paid for over that period of time

why i am being taxed on payments that were taken out in my tax, i don't know.

But, i sure as hell do know that it is not welfare or entitlements. I paid for it and i earned it!

End of rant

amen!

Old 09-04-2015, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
Yes, and as more and more people in this country live longer and healthier lives, the amount they put into SS previously steadily decline relative to what they are taking out at retirement and beyond (with their spouses). Hence a real and pressing need for SS reform so that it does not go broke down the road for those of us who are still quite young and slaving away and paying into this system.....

It's an entitlement accrued from your whole working life.
Ya tink the aholes in DC stealing from the SS trust fund (or gas tax fund, etc.) to pay for bridges to no where or farm subsidies or foreign aid or their own damn salaries or whatever didn't have anything to do with no money left?

Those of you younguns are in deep do-do but not because us old farts are living longer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events