Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2015, 02:51 PM

572 posts, read 552,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
Sorry guys. Semi Auto weapons. I don't care about what kind of weapon was used. My message is that YALL seem to give it a pass and shrug shoulders like nothing can be done. Something has to be done.
yes, i do agree something has to be done... perhaps...

we need to instill in our culture respect for ourselves as well as respect for others.
we need to teach that there are ways to resolve conflicts beyond 'putting a cap in dey a**'
we need to teach personal responsibility, as well as societal responsibility
we need to teach the value and benefits of a hard day's work
we need to teach that not everything will go their way, and how to handle not getting what you 'want'

Old 10-01-2015, 02:53 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,643,046 times
Quote:
Are you saying that it's western culture that causes this? Because if you are I am in agreement..
So, is it your contention that it was western culture that caused the development and use of the samurai sword in Japan, or is it your contention that Japanese people don't possess the intelligence to build or operate guns?

BTW, the first guns in Japan were designed and built by the Chinese in the 11th century.

Old 10-01-2015, 02:54 PM

8,518 posts, read 3,762,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
How about instead of screwing with the majority gun owners that legally own them, and that have NEVER committed a violent crime with them, we start getting tough on criminals that do commit violent crimes? In other words, armed robbery, tough s*** you get sentenced to 25 years no parole! Convicted of murder or rape! In other words, if you kill someone other than in the act of self defense, then it's life, or swing from a rope! No appeals, no chance of parole! Will it stop all crime? No. But it will further serve as a deterrent that society isn't screwing around, and if you act like a low life scumbag, we'll treat you like one!
That will do nothing to prevent a suicide mass shooter and you know it. They must be identified and prevented from buying a gun or getting a gun.

10,073 posts, read 7,250,903 times
I work at an Oregon community college. Not near Roseburg obviously but my heart goes out to the campus community there.

This hits close to home. I don't think of my job as something where I may not go home one night.

I don't even know how to respond to these kinds of events anymore. It's just something that puts me in a kind of shock. I find myself thinking, "is this really America?" Is this something we just have to deal with every few weeks?

There has to be something that can be done. This isn't normal human or civilized behavior. These events did not happen multiple times a year before approximately the 1990s. Something is wrong and it saddens me so many people just shrug it away as another day at the office.

In the last state legislative session, there was some discussion of updating or increasing the background check requirements for buying guns, but they decided not to pursue it. Oregon firearm policy at the state level has traditionally been somewhat laissez-faire, letting counties and cities be as lenient or as strict as they want, ie: in Portland there are many more restrictions than in a place like Roseburg which is a semi-rural area.

I expect the legislature will take the issue up next session because of this.

27,798 posts, read 32,480,147 times
unfortunately we don't have the psych care that our country used to have decades ago - nutjobs/whackjobs were hospitalized years ago but that access is no longer available....our country no longer can afford it.

Old 10-01-2015, 02:55 PM

2,526 posts, read 1,596,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
Conflicting Info coming out....possibly a former student. Only one classroom with about 30 people in one room.

I heard a live report from a student in the next classroom and read updates. The Oregon AG's office is confirming 13 dead and they saw shooter is dead. There is suppose to be a live update an minute.

Oregon responded with a mass casualty response. Six choppers sent to move patients to Trauma Centers in Springfield/ Eugene. One confirmed transport to the Eugene area trauma center, a second patient might have been transported via a different medical helicopter service.

Of about 10 victims transported to Mercy Medical Center locally, two are confirmed deceased. The numbers may change as wounded might have been double counted as wounded and deceased. There weren't 35- 40 people in the one classroom. OR is confirming only one classroom where this shooter shot......

Meanwhile, three medical helicopters are still at Mercy to transport patients if needed. It sounds like the Eugene area trauma centers will be receiving the most severely shot and will be able to accommodate the numbers so Portland and other hospitals won't be receiving patients.

Apparently, the shooter was well known to law enforcement.

Live news conference on now. Law enforcement confirms shooter is dead.

Mercy Medical Center posted, " Please pray".

MSR
Hey, that will do it …

"Pray the guns away …"

Old 10-01-2015, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatsDEN View Post
yes, i do agree something has to be done... perhaps...

we need to instill in our culture respect for ourselves as well as respect for others.
we need to teach that there are ways to resolve conflicts beyond 'putting a cap in dey a**'
we need to teach personal responsibility, as well as societal responsibility
we need to teach the value and benefits of a hard day's work
we need to teach that not everything will go their way, and how to handle not getting what you 'want'
I see what you did there...... You equated mass shootings with ghetto hood culture knowing full well that they are two separate issues. Please keep this debate intellectually honest.

Old 10-01-2015, 02:57 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,643,046 times
Quote:
I see what you did there...... You equated mass shootings with ghetto hood culture knowing full well that they are two separate issues. Please keep this debate intellectually honest.
I see what you did there..... You went on a hunt for racism and believe you got your bag limit.

Old 10-01-2015, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I see what you did there..... You went on a hunt for racism and believe you got your bag limit.
OK then. I will play ball with you. Tell me how his/her post was on topic? How are the basic values of America in conflict with what we teach suburban white kids who commit mass murder or educated black folks who commit mass murder on live TV?

Old 10-01-2015, 03:02 PM

I have a feeling Mexicans will be blamed for mass shootings at schools next. Wait for it... Its coming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events