Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2015, 03:48 PM

11,186 posts, read 6,508,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
If she really cared about what was being taught to her kid she'd of called the teacher, set up a meeting, called the principal etc...

Sprawling call my lawyer on the paper and sending that in with her son is not how mature adults handle things. Posting it to fb is only to feed her ego.

As for the publics right to know what's being taught, no one is denying you that. You can request to review the curriculum for any school district.
Maybe she correctly figured calling the teacher, meeting with the principal, ETC., would be a big waste of time. She took the route so many others take these days to bring attention to an issue --- social media.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2015, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
EVERY [snip]
Drat, you weren't done:

'... but I think it has run its course and there's nothing new to add that hasn't already been said, so I'm done here.'

Old 10-17-2015, 05:28 PM

15,637 posts, read 10,393,078 times
Quote:
[snip] in a scholarly setting there is no promotion of beliefs, just information as to what they are and discussions as to how they impacted the periods under review.
If "what [religions] are and discussions as to how they impacted the periods [in history] under review" was taught that would be fine. There are profound religious biases in history lessons in our progressive public school system k-12.

College classes are off the chart biased, too, but the students are adults and could decide for themselves what is truth, unlike a 5th grader.

Old 10-17-2015, 06:51 PM

7,185 posts, read 3,701,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Maybe she correctly figured calling the teacher, meeting with the principal, ETC., would be a big waste of time. She took the route so many others take these days to bring attention to an issue --- social media.
Instead of ranting on the social media, she could put on her big girl panties and run for a position on the School Board. Y'know... be a part of the solution if it bothers her that much.

Old 10-17-2015, 06:53 PM

7,185 posts, read 3,701,333 times
Quote:
EVERY parent has the right to stand up and refuse to have World History shoved down their kids' throats. What does it matter what happened in the past regardless of how it shaped the world today? That was yesterday. Hell, it was CENTURIES ago All those people are DEAD.

The only reason one would really ever need to know World History from the period 500 A.D. to 1789 A.D. is if they were ever going to be on Jeopardy, and what are the chances your kid is going to pass the tests to get on the show in the first place? And the Final Jeopardy question category might turn out to be Sports anyway, and then their head would be filled with all this useless information for no reason at all.

Nothing that occurred before 1776 is worth learning about since the United States wasn't even in existence before that, so parents across the country should ban together to eliminate World History from all school curricula. Somebody get this ball rolling.
eeehh... I don't know you, so can't tell if this is a joke or not. I'm hoping it is a joke.

Old 10-17-2015, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat in aiken View Post
Instead of ranting on the social media, she could put on her big girl panties and run for a position on the School Board. Y'know... be a part of the solution if it bothers her that much.
Maybe she will, though it would be a waste of time. What she did is more effective than running for the school board and all your other meddling suggestions on what she should do. You don't like what she had to say, so feel a need to come up with all sorts of other things she could have done.

Old 10-17-2015, 08:12 PM

2,055 posts, read 1,449,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat in aiken View Post
eeehh... I don't know you, so can't tell if this is a joke or not. I'm hoping it is a joke.
It is a joke/sarcasm at its finest. I tried to give her a kudo for sarcasm but I already increased her reputation on one of her earlier posts and the system wouldn't allow me to do it again on this thread.

El Nox

Old 10-17-2015, 08:37 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,278,924 times
Here in Ohio, the introduction of the "major" world religions happens in 6th grade. Here's the content statement:

Quote:
Modern cultural practices and products show the influence of tradition and diffusion, including the impact of major world religions (Buddhism, Christianity, Hinduism, Islam and Judaism).
Regardless of one's own personal beliefs, I think there's a strong argument to be made that knowing about the variety of religious beliefs worldwide is pretty important and worthwhile.

Old 10-17-2015, 08:49 PM

2,936 posts, read 2,335,424 times
Quote:
Maybe she will, though it would be a waste of time. What she did is more effective than running for the school board and all your other meddling suggestions on what she should do. You don't like what she had to say, so feel a need to come up with all sorts of other things she could have done.
What makes it a waste of time? As far as I can tell or read in the news her taking to social media hasn't actually done anything. Sure people are talking online, but none of us have the power to change her childs curriculum.

Not to mention if I was the teacher principal or school district I wouldn't want to work with this mom at this point. She had the adult equivalent of a temper tantrum instead of trying to make things better.

Old 10-17-2015, 09:41 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Drat, you weren't done:

'... but I think it has run its course and there's nothing new to add that hasn't already been said, so I'm done here.'
That was yesterday.

Of course, I will never be done. As I said in Post #320:

Quote:
It's OK. I've said/written in one form or another about the need for people to learn about and understand one another for the past 14 years, and I will until the day I die.

Knowledge is powerful. Ignorance is destructive. Choose knowledge. Please.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 10-17-2015 at 09:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events