Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2015, 07:53 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,020,248 times

Advertisements

The answer to this whole thing is called "equal time". If you're going to teach on Islam and it's historical effect on nations/people then you should also teach Christian, Jewish and Buddhist religions which predate Islam and had a large effect on the world both then and today.
To do otherwise sets a bad tone and looks like you're trying to push an agenda.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2015, 08:05 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,510,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
If the kid understands the Arabic call to prayer in the first place, chances are he or she already knows what the call to prayer says. We do have to live in a world where there are beliefs different from our own.
I was giving the poster correct information: The call to prayer is not like a dinner bell.

I don't know whether the course translates the prayer, or not. The pillars of Islam include the same statement --- 'Muhammad is the messenger of God.' I don't have a problem with teaching that's what Muslims believe. It's essential to understanding world history of the time covered in the course. Also essential is being taught that Christians believe Jesus is the son of God, the savior, which apparently is taught in 6th grade. otoh, ...

I can understand why people of religion may not want their 11/12 year-olds repeating phrases like Muhammad is the messenger of God or Christ is Lord. In fact, I might pop over to the religion forum and ask if it's ok for Muslim students, even as a school assignment, to write or speak the words Jesus is Lord, the son of God.

As a non-religious person myself, I believe the less taught about religion to kids in public school 6th/7th grade, the better.

Old 10-19-2015, 09:51 AM

88,594 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
I was giving the poster correct information: The call to prayer is not like a dinner bell.

I don't know whether the course translates the prayer, or not. The pillars of Islam include the same statement --- 'Muhammad is the messenger of God.' I don't have a problem with teaching that's what Muslims believe. It's essential to understanding world history of the time covered in the course. Also essential is being taught that Christians believe Jesus is the son of God, the savior, which apparently is taught in 6th grade. otoh, ...

I can understand why people of religion may not want their 11/12 year-olds repeating phrases like Muhammad is the messenger of God or Christ is Lord. In fact, I might pop over to the religion forum and ask if it's ok for Muslim students, even as a school assignment, to write or speak the words Jesus is Lord, the son of God.

As a non-religious person myself, I believe the less taught about religion to kids in public school 6th/7th grade, the better.
Ah, different perspectives. I love the study of history and other cultures and religions.

But also, given my experiences, it's become very important to me to understand the influences that created them, religious, historical, or cultural. I think we do our children a disservice by not teaching them. You are of course entitled to a different opinion.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 10-19-2015 at 10:00 AM..

Old 10-19-2015, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
The answer to this whole thing is called "equal time". If you're going to teach on Islam and it's historical effect on nations/people then you should also teach Christian, Jewish and Buddhist religions which predate Islam and had a large effect on the world both then and today.
To do otherwise sets a bad tone and looks like you're trying to push an agenda.
Well, first of all, Judaism and Christianity also predate 500 A.D., the starting period covered by this course. You do know what A.D. stands for, correct?

Secondly, you clearly read right there in the curriculum outline that it covers the influence of Buddhism in both the China and Japan, as well as Christianity in Rome during the period covered, so your post is a bit confusing, as if you didn't actually read what is covered.

Old 10-19-2015, 11:16 AM

50,834 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
People who fail to see what others are talking about retort to "conversion" as their only understanding of the subject. Nothing to do with "conversion" you really need to let this go and start understanding the lesson is being taught as Islam being tolerant and peaceful........anything but!
Why you assume that it is being taught that Islam is "tolerant and peaceful"?

I can't speak for that school system, but our social studies classes had a current events component, and the current events discussed were not selected by the teacher. They were actually selected by the students from newspapers, and I assure you that the news events discussed often included radical Islam.

Old 10-19-2015, 11:17 AM

Quote:
If that's the conclusion you've come to, and see no other logical reason for the opposition, I feel bad for the school district where you are or were a principal.
I'm just going by the posts in this thread.

Old 10-19-2015, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Nope again. The call to prayer isn't like a dinner bell. Among other things, the call to prayer includes the words, 'I bear witness that Muhammad is the messenger of God.'

Hearing, writing, or saying those words won't turn anyone into a Muslim, but a non-Muslim, particularly one committed to a different religion, might feel uncomfortable or even that it's blasphemy.

I don't know what the schools make kids read, write, say about Jesus as son of God, savior, etc., but I'd think non-Christians would have similar reservations.
So if the American kid listens to the call for prayer posted, you think he's going to understand that language?

Old 10-19-2015, 11:24 AM

2,055 posts, read 1,449,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
So if the American kid listens to the call for prayer posted, you think he's going to understand that language?
OK ... so he doesn't understand the language ... why bother even listening? We are right back to the teacher having an agenda.

El Nox

Old 10-19-2015, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Nox View Post
OK ... so he doesn't understand the language ... why bother even listening? We are right back to the teacher having an agenda.

El Nox
I don't think so. Hearing in addition to just reading something opens up what you learn. It's one thing to read about another cultural practice and another thing to hear or taste or smell it.

I am unclear as to what makes you think the teacher has an agenda other than teaching. I think she probably thought she came up with a great idea using the Internet.

I didn't see anything about the teacher, who she is or what her response, if any, was, so I don't know.

Old 10-19-2015, 11:54 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,510,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I already said, I don't know whether there's a translation in class, the textbook, the website. The point is, the call to prayer is not like a dinner bell, simply letting people know it's time to pray.

Besides, as I also said, the pillars of Islam include the same statement --- 'Muhammad is the messenger of God.' You and others apparently can't grasp why a non-Muslim can have a problem with that, or a Muslim forced to write or speak Jesus is the Messiah, Lord, son of God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events