Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2015, 09:40 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,798,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
Nah....some of us don't like looking for a solution to a "problem" when a "problem" doesn't exist. And the "cripples"(btw a rude term to use) I've known don't get offended by signs like this/bent out of shape about it. But if you call them a cripple, they might find it a bit rude......
You prefer handicapped? Disadvantaged? Structurally deficient? Nothing wrong with being a cripple.

And if you don't like looking for problems when none exist why would you create one by assuming the replacement of the existing signs. I will tell you...you simply wish to create something to complain about. I would hate to suggest you are an RWN but I will bet you are...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2015, 09:41 PM

50,787 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
The truck I drive pays MUCH more in taxes than your car, I pay my water bill to the City, and I pay my electric bill to the power company. IOW, I pay for what I use.

I also pay for services I don't use, like the public school system, public housing, and city parks. Meanwhile the roads are still torn up...
It is very doubtful that the truck tax you pay pays for all the roads you drive on, or that your water bill pays for all the water and infrastructure you use when you drink "city water", and the same for electricity. And the other features you mention are referred to as the common good, and receiving the benefits of being an American means you also contribute to the nation and its people.

Old 10-18-2015, 09:42 PM

50,787 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
The sign cost and the installation cost isn't "Free" if this sign is mandated to be used in place of the old sign. It's paid for by someone and that someone I'm guessing is the taxpayer in city/state parking spaces. And private business will probably follow suit and push the cost of course as always onto the consumer. There are tons of these signs at stores of all sorts throughout the country. That's a bunch of signs. And the costs add up.
Clearly you didn't read the article.

Old 10-18-2015, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
Next they will want to change my license plate to their new symbol.
Actually I don't use a wheel chair so I am holding out for a guy with a cane. Then if I get worse a guy with a walker. Then we could do one for guys with prosthesis. Hey and maybe we can have girls and boys? And maybe bald and haired. Could start a whole new industry.

Old 10-18-2015, 10:05 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,467,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Clearly you didn't read the article.
I read it. I stated:

The sign cost and the installation cost isn't "Free" if this sign is mandated to be used in place of the old sign.

If
is the key word.......time will tell IF it happens as I've outlined in my opinion. The article states some states and cities have already adopted it:

"New York state adopted it last year and Connecticut could soon become the second state to do so, while cities such as Phoenix and El Paso, Texas, are also on board."

"Adopt" sure sounds like some states or cities are using it/going to be using it. Perhaps the tooth fairy is paying for the conversion or the "good sign samaritans" who live in the forest are going to pony up the $ for the change that I'm not aware of in these states/cities and possibly other future cities/states who I'm guessing will adopt this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
You prefer handicapped? Disadvantaged? Structurally deficient? Nothing wrong with being a cripple.

And if you don't like looking for problems when none exist why would you create one by assuming the replacement of the existing signs. I will tell you...you simply wish to create something to complain about. I would hate to suggest you are an RWN but I will bet you are...
You call them whatever you like/feel comfortable with...it's a free country. I just stated my opinion. I like to call them by their first name personally.

No, not a RWN.....or a liberal....or whatever most of the herd and media likes to define people these days, placing them in neat black/white no gray categories. I'm very consistent in that I distrust ALL politicians these days. I'm actually leaning towards voting our or a neighbors dog into office next election. I'm not sure if a hound or a terrier would be best though for such a job. But I think it would be a big improvement in what we have now running the circus.

Old 10-18-2015, 10:11 PM

Quote:
I read it. I stated:

The sign cost and the installation cost isn't "Free" if this sign is mandated to be used in place of the old sign.

If
is the key word.......time will tell IF it happens as I've outlined in my opinion. The article states some states and cities have already adopted it:

"New York state adopted it last year and Connecticut could soon become the second state to do so, while cities such as Phoenix and El Paso, Texas, are also on board."

"Adopt" sure sounds like some states or cities are using it/going to be using it. Perhaps the tooth fairy is paying for the conversion or the "good sign samaritans" who live in the forest are going to pony up the $ for the change that I'm not aware of in these states/cities and possibly other future cities/states who I'm guessing will adopt this.

You call them whatever you like/feel comfortable with...it's a free country. I just stated my opinion. I like to call them by their first name personally.

No, not a RWN.....or a liberal....or whatever most of the herd and media likes to define people these days, placing them in neat black/white no gray categories. I'm very consistent in that I distrust ALL politicians these days. I'm leaning towards voting our or a neighbors dog into office next election. I'm not sure if a hound or a terrier would be best though for such a job.
Ohh lets test. Support Arpaio?

Gonna vote for Clinton or Sanders if they run?

Old 10-18-2015, 10:20 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,467,054 times
Quote:
Ohh lets test. Support Arpaio?

Gonna vote for Clinton or Sanders if they run?
None of the above. I truly wish a "none of the above" option was added to the ballot in every race.

I thought I made that clear by my possible write in vote for my dog and how I distrust ALL politicians?

But if you know of a politician that will serve the people 100% of the time, takes no money from special interests and isn't owned by them, doesn't lie and actually tells the truth, please wake me up when this happens.

Last edited by stevek64; 10-18-2015 at 10:52 PM..

Old 10-18-2015, 10:23 PM

23,543 posts, read 12,517,887 times
Quote:
No, not a RWN.....or a liberal....or whatever most of the herd and media likes to define people these days, placing them in neat black/white no gray categories. I'm very consistent in that I distrust ALL politicians these days. I'm actually leaning towards voting our or a neighbors dog into office next election. I'm not sure if a hound or a terrier would be best though for such a job. But I think it would be a big improvement in what we have now running the circus.
Hmm, how about Limberbutt McCubbins? (and, his paperwork had been filed with the FEC)

Old 10-18-2015, 10:57 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Oh, I have. And as I said earlier, I've reprimanded a secretary who was doing just that.

A caveat here is that a healthy person may be driving a handicapped person on their errands or to their doctor.
That does happen. I used to drive my mother to the store and appointments, but she couldn't walk quickly, so we both walked slowly.

Old 10-18-2015, 11:08 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Pure BS. The thought is a new symbol on new signs. No interest in replaciing old ones until they wear out.

I am not sure the new one is actually an improvement but it does not hurt anything either.

Why do some of you guys try to find a problem when none exists? You don't like us cripples?
I still think the new sign is stupid. I don't think there's anything wrong with the old one. Want a new sign? Make one for females and alternate them with current ones. I want a sign with a bump on the chest. I think we should throw some cash at that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events