Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2015, 09:42 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,873,001 times

Advertisements

So a "street art project" is wanting this changed? And who is going to pay the millions to get all of these signs changed world wide? What a stupid idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2015, 09:55 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
What about the people without legs? Why's it gotta have legs? I'm just off-the-hook offended on behalf of amputees everywhere.

Old 10-18-2015, 10:46 AM

14,950 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Yet here you are, offended that some people like a new design of a sign better than the old. Ironic. Really that big a deal to you?

Those who constantly complain about supposed political correctness are just as perpetually offended as the original offendees.
Hardly. A comment on a topic does not mean the commenter is"offended" by it, no matter how much projection you put into it. And hey, I'm not the one going around trying to change the language, muzzling those expressing their First Amendment rights ( freedom of speech), eliminating time honored traditions, revising history, and in this case replacing old well known and recognized symbols because they find all these things "offensive". So nice try, and thank you for playing, but you're snarling up the wrong tree.

Old 10-18-2015, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert5 View Post
Aside/Rant:

Over the past 15 years I have been to various Home Depots more than 2000 times. The typical HD has 12 handicapped spots. Never have I seen more than 7 of those spots occupied. I would say the average is 2 occupied spots. I think I can say will a good deal of authority that handicapped people are not into home improvement.

But OMG don't dare suggest that HD could do with a few less handicapped spots. You will draw the ire of the Handicap Advocate, a special of breed of Social Justice Warrior that gets a sense of empowerment defending the legal rights of handicapped people. Their zeal knows no pragmatism, the law is the law. It would just be such an indignity if HD cut the number handicap spots back to 8, and one handicapped person somewhere in Iowa had to once a year wait for a spot because they came at the peak time on Saturday.
It may be that local ordinances, and other laws mandate that businesses provide a specific percentage of their parking spots for handicapped parking. I don't know that this is true, but it might explain the number of handicapped parking spots at Home Depot.

Old 10-18-2015, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Bad idea, for so many reasons. 1. It's never a good idea to change something that works just fine. 2. It's just a pictogram. It's not supposed to be a logo to make handicapped people feel good. It's just designed to be a universally recognized symbol that will be recognized by everyone. 3. The old pictogram is already the most recognized symbol in the world. Now instead of having one symbol that is pretty much 100% universally recognized worldwide, we will have two competing symbols, that not everyone might recognize. 4. The new symbol is just bad. It's hard to even tell what it's supposed to represent.
Exactly.

Old 10-18-2015, 11:06 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,392,751 times
want me to feel positive about handicap, why not really make it illegal for the non handicap not to use the tag of their grandmother or other relatives, I would bet that 90% of all handicap parked vehicle are by non handicap people, without the handicap even being along for the trip, just watch how they fight over spots at wally world

Old 10-18-2015, 11:08 AM

13,422 posts, read 9,952,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Hardly. A comment on a topic does not mean the commenter is"offended" by it, no matter how much projection you put into it. And hey, I'm not the one going around trying to change the language, muzzling those expressing their First Amendment rights ( freedom of speech), eliminating time honored traditions, revising history, and in this case replacing old well known and recognized symbols because they find all these things "offensive". So nice try, and thank you for playing, but you're snarling up the wrong tree.

So things change. So what? Why are you all bent about it? Why the outrage?

When a person wants to discuss changing something, they're rewriting history, being pc, being offended, muzzling rights, every other hyperbolic extreme you can muster.

Yet when you want to discuss it, you're simply making a comment.

Two sides of the same coin. If you're not offended, you're doing a poor job of hiding it.

Old 10-18-2015, 11:20 AM

21,023 posts, read 27,249,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Seriously? This is a problem?

The real problem is that too many people have handicapped stickers, park there and are as active as I am. Leave them for the real people who need them.

And then we also have the proliferation of "Mommies Only" and "Pregnant Only" unlegislated areas. Those I park in, to be politically correct. My daughter jogged 4 miles two days before giving birth.... no special places needed for mom's to be... sorry.
Handicapped reserve parking has gone out of hand indeed. It is time to reduce these specialized parking spaces. Keep handicap parking to those who are crippled and cannot walk far distances or need the assistance of a wheelchair or motorized scooter.

I wonder when fire lane signs undergo an overhaul. Many non-emergency response vehicles are using the fire lane as parking spaces. Unless passenger cars and commercial trucks can prove they are official police, fire and emergency medical service units, they do not park in the fire lane.

Old 10-18-2015, 11:43 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,527,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
I agree. Cripples have a hard enough time as it is.
Isn't "cripples" politically incorrect?

Old 10-18-2015, 11:48 AM

50,822 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert5 View Post
Aside/Rant:

Over the past 15 years I have been to various Home Depots more than 2000 times. The typical HD has 12 handicapped spots. Never have I seen more than 7 of those spots occupied. I would say the average is 2 occupied spots. I think I can say will a good deal of authority that handicapped people are not into home improvement.

But OMG don't dare suggest that HD could do with a few less handicapped spots. You will draw the ire of the Handicap Advocate, a special of breed of Social Justice Warrior that gets a sense of empowerment defending the legal rights of handicapped people. Their zeal knows no pragmatism, the law is the law. It would just be such an indignity if HD cut the number handicap spots back to 8, and one handicapped person somewhere in Iowa had to once a year wait for a spot because they came at the peak time on Saturday.

Equally terrible if you had to walk 10 extra steps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events