Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2015, 04:59 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,034,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teilhard View Post
Attacked by dog … Yeah, a laugh a minute ...

How Christian of you!!

Old 10-22-2015, 05:20 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,518,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
There are what 75 million or so homes with dogs in the USA. 100 million total dogs? So for every dog interaction you have a chance of 2 in 100,000 of being bit? Or if you mess with 50,000 dogs one will likely bite you? Hey if you don't bug the dogs you can probably even lower those odds.
Ok, there are how many police dispatched every year? If you obey the law you can reduce the chances of contact to nearly zero.

Same with gun violence. Of the millions upon millions of guns, what are the chances of being involvwd in a violent act involving one of those guns? Be honest, use the total number of guns compared to total violent acts involving guns.

Do you support using your argument across all the issues or only the ones you want?

240,000,000 911 calls per year.

Old 10-22-2015, 05:28 PM

If there are about 240,000,000 911 calls per year and of all those there is so much hooplah over this incident that doesn't show that thousands of similar incidenta happen,

then why not be upset over 800,000+ dog bites per year and the over 40 deaths caused by dogs every year?

The chances of a dog being shot by the police is far less that the chances of being bitten by a dog.

Old 10-22-2015, 05:30 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,795,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Year2525 View Post
Ok, there are how many police dispatched every year? If you obey the law you can reduce the chances of contact to nearly zero.

Same with gun violence. Of the millions upon millions of guns, what are the chances of being involvwd in a violent act involving one of those guns? Be honest, use the total number of guns compared to total violent acts involving guns.

Do you support using your argument across all the issues or only the ones you want?
Actually what you seem unable to understand is that building large numbers to make a situation appear worse is how you lie with statistics. And I am making the case that in fact dog bites are relatively rare and generally not very serious.

Yes there are fatal dog incidents. And those are often criminal where the owner should and does go to jail. One can use or maintain a dog in a criminal way.

And that shooting a dog rushing out of a house into the yard of the owner is an unlawful act which will, in all liklihood, end up with a settlement made by the authorities. I would also suggest the LEO involved seriously needs retraining and perhaps other help as there is a serious question raised about his stability.

Old 10-22-2015, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidewaysLS4 View Post
Cops are too triggerhappy these days IMO. I was talking with a neighbor down the block about how her upstairs tenants had some sort of argument and the cops were called. She said that she answered her side door to find a cop there, and one of those little white foo foo dogs that resides there was yapping of course with the new visitor present. The big bad Chicago copper tells her 'take care of that dog or I'll shoot it'. Really? Is that what cops say to 70 year old ladies with toy dogs nowadays? I've seen this dog's 'defensive' posture when in the back yard over there. It yaps at you from maybe 3 feet away. Yeah, makes sense to threaten lethal force on a 10lb. ball of noise. I think my cat could take that thing out, lol.
Probably a made up story. One of those I heard and friend tell me she heard someone say that they heard a cousin tell them...

Old 10-22-2015, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Actually what you seem unable to understand is that building large numbers to make a situation appear worse is how you lie with statistics.
Something you never do? Not in any of your posts about the police or gun control?

Accusing others of what you seem to do routinely could be considered disingenuous.

Old 10-22-2015, 05:47 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,795,244 times
Quote:
Something you never do? Not in any of your posts about the police or gun control?

Accusing others of what you seem to do routinely could be considered disingenuous.
Sorry kid. I seldom do police or gun control. Actually I support concealed carry. Lesser of the evils argument.

Old 10-22-2015, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Sorry kid. I seldom do police or gun control. Actually I support concealed carry. Lesser of the evils argument.
This wasn't you?
* #177********

*12-20-2014, 09:29 PM

lvoc

"Again this is collateral damage from the second amendment. Any individual gets one assassination if he or she is willing to pay the price. It is a US Constitutional benefit."

On a thread about cops being killed, right here on CD

Old 10-22-2015, 05:58 PM

23,498 posts, read 12,502,824 times
Quote:
If there are about 240,000,000 911 calls per year and of all those there is so much hooplah over this incident that doesn't show that thousands of similar incidenta happen,

then why not be upset over 800,000+ dog bites per year and the over 40 deaths caused by dogs every year?

The chances of a dog being shot by the police is far less that the chances of being bitten by a dog.
Nope. Cops kill on average 1 dog every 98 minutes. That includes puppies, tiny (no threat) toy breeds, dogs that are chained/leashed, etc. The USPS trains their carriers for 2 months in how to deal with dogs, the PD's don't train their officers - well, their training is probably being told to shoot no matter what and then claim that they 'felt threatened'.

For example, in one of the links I posted -- cop goes into a backyard where a dog is tied up and no threat, dog barks, cops shoots and kills dog, cop says he did it because he felt threatened. Two officers go in same car to a sting operation, one of the officers shoots and kills two dogs during the operation, both cops claimed they felt threatened, turns out there was a recorder going in their car that caught them, while they were driving to the location, deciding which one of them was going to shoot the dogs when they got there.
And there was the one cop who didn't feel threatened, just annoyed, when the puppy that his girlfriend owned had piddled on the floor he beat and choked the puppy to death, then took a picture of the dead puppy and sent it to his girlfriend -- and this guy is a cop?!?

Old 10-22-2015, 06:04 PM

2,526 posts, read 1,592,319 times
Quote:
That is a child less than 5...a toddler. And you should write what your attorney says rather than what you think as you are pretty consistently wrong. For instance.

Which is not true for a child older than 5.
Minnesota Statute 347.22 ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events