Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2015, 05:33 AM

1,261 posts, read 951,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
No. The US is not marching south through the Americas slaughtering everyone that doesn't learn English and convert to Protestant Christianity, nor are we purchasing child brides from the native culture to produce Christian, Anglo-identified offspring. We also don't use slaves anymore. The Arab countries use Indian and African slave labor to build their glistening cities. And please don't tell me what evil the US has wrought in the past--I am talking about now.

I doubt the family would pull up stakes and move to Qatar if they couldn't understand the language. The difference between Qatari Arabic and Sudanese Arabic is not greater than Mexican Spanish vs. Colombian Spanish or German in Germany vs. German in Austria. And the Mohamed family DOES consort with terrorists. The father is tight with the Omar Al-Bashir who is wanted for the genocide of millions of people.
I am not talking about the past at all.. I am talking about now. Our methods are different, but we are still an Imperialist nation. We wouldn't have been in the Middle East to begin with were we not.

Doubt the language difference all you want - your doubt doesn't mean you know the truth. They will be understood, because Arabs learn Classical Arabic in school and it is used as a unifying language, but the Arabic people speak every day at home? It is different.

How do explain the fact that the father ran for president twice against Al-Bashir if they are so tight?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2015, 05:41 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,581,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AminWi View Post
I am not talking about the past at all.. I am talking about now. Our methods are different, but we are still an Imperialist nation. We wouldn't have been in the Middle East to begin with were we not.

Doubt the language difference all you want - your doubt doesn't mean you know the truth. They will be understood, because Arabs learn Classical Arabic in school and it is used as a unifying language, but the Arabic people speak every day at home? It is different.

How do explain the fact that the father ran for president twice against Al-Bashir if they are so tight?
Both of you need to do your research - the population of Qatar is 90% foreign. The most common language in the street is Urdu/Hindi. The Official languages are Arabic/English.

Foreigners are only there to work and spend. They have no effect on the social policies. These folks are only there to work.

Old 10-23-2015, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
Both of you need to do your research - the population of Qatar is 90% foreign. The most common language in the street is Urdu/Hindi. The Official languages are Arabic/English.

Foreigners are only there to work and spend. They have no effect on the social policies. These folks are only there to work.
I've done my homework. You are absolutely correct that Qatar depends heavily on guest workers, and most are not Arabs. This is true throughout the Gulf. My point was simply that Sudan is not the same country as Qatar, and moving there is not the same as going home for the Mohamed family.

Last edited by AminWi; 10-23-2015 at 06:48 AM..

Old 10-23-2015, 06:24 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,753,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AminWi View Post
Did we need immigrants who came here and built little Birminghams, New Berlins and Athenses? Just curious...
I, for one, will remain neutral about them, but I give a hearty thank you to the ones who came here and built Boston.

Old 10-23-2015, 06:41 AM

1,523 posts, read 2,865,249 times
Sounds good to me.

Old 10-23-2015, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
I, for one, will remain neutral about them, but I give a hearty thank you to the ones who came here and built Boston.
I'm absolutely with you!

Old 10-23-2015, 06:53 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
Great, Im sure he can put his clock making skills to work over there........

"We are going to move to a place where my kids can study and learn, and all of them being accepted by that country," Ahmed's father, Mohamed Elhassan Mohamed, told The Dallas Morning News before boarding an airplane from Washington back home to Texas on Tuesday.
Good for him. He is an honors student who got a scholarship overseas. I sense OP has jealousy not so cleverly disguised as religious/racial hatred. They should never have arrested him in the first place. This incident is a sad reminder of how paranoid our goverment has become and what's even worse is that many citizens actually condone this behavior. I don't blame the kid at all for wanting to leave "the land of the free."

Old 10-23-2015, 07:07 AM

78,426 posts, read 60,613,724 times
I think some of you that think he will just fit right into the great "melting pot" that is Qatar....don't quite understand that he's going to be viewed as black by the majority of the kids at his school and thus 2nd class.

Frankly the view some express seem to be that "Gee they are all brownish and muslim so they're all the same!" is actually pretty obtusely racist.

Oh well, he will get to learn first hand just how progressive and racially inclusive Qatar is.

I mean, just look at how well the middle east through that region treats it's Indonesian, Filipino etc. maids, construction workers etc.

Last edited by Mathguy; 10-23-2015 at 07:17 AM..

Old 10-23-2015, 07:32 AM

8,151 posts, read 8,354,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Good for him. He is an honors student who got a scholarship overseas. I sense OP has jealousy not so cleverly disguised as religious/racial hatred. They should never have arrested him in the first place. This incident is a sad reminder of how paranoid our goverment has become and what's even worse is that many citizens actually condone this behavior. I don't blame the kid at all for wanting to leave "the land of the free."
Irving's top students attend the magnet school just down the street and walkable to Almed's neighborhood. If he were a top district student, that is where he would have been enrolled.
HE WAS NEVER ARRESTED. He was held in restraints and questioned.

I do agree with some of your statement, but please keep your mind open, too, that this student alleges he brought his clock to school simply to impress a single teacher. That teacher saw the clock in 2nd period and told Almed to put it in his locker, keep it there, and take it home right after school. Almed did not do as told. During the course of the day we later learned he showed it to several other students. Then he took it to a 6th period class with him and there the alarmed started beeping. The rest is history. If this student did not plan to upset everyone with his suitcase clock, at the very least he disobeyed the teacher who he alledgedly wanted to impress.

Many believe the reason he took his briefcase to the 6th period class is that his attempt at 2nd period and later in the day as he showed it to other students failed to get attention.

I think the school mishandled this badly. And, the 2nd period teacher should have taken the briefcase and kept it with the school's administrators. Then Almed's parents should have been called to come and get it and the discussion about bringing things to school could have been constructive.

Last edited by WorldKlas; 10-23-2015 at 08:26 AM..

Old 10-23-2015, 08:19 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Actually, by 12 kids are responsible for their actions and are to know right from wrong. Who didn't teach this kid right from wrong.....his parents or the teacher who told him not to show anyone?

Too much is going on for this to be a typical innocent kid!
I thought he brought a clock into school and they smashed it? Guess I missed the rest.

So much hate towards some school kid. Maybe people need to get their own lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events