Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2015, 07:53 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,238,344 times

Advertisements

Say its not so...do you mean these reviews might not be real? I dont believe it, I just dont, it HAS to be real.

http://www.amazon.com/Veet-Hair-Remo...e&pageNumber=1

Last edited by carnivalday; 10-24-2015 at 08:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2015, 07:53 PM

22,178 posts, read 19,221,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
i have a family member who works at Amazon, and there is a book published of hilarious actual reviews, it is one of the funniest things i've ever read, he has it on his coffee table and when we go over there we fight over who gets to read it next

Old 10-24-2015, 10:27 PM

19,804 posts, read 9,362,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
i have a family member who works at Amazon, and there is a book published of hilarious actual reviews, it is one of the funniest things i've ever read, he has it on his coffee table and when we go over there we fight over who gets to read it next
Is this available for the general public? I would love to read it.

Old 10-25-2015, 12:44 AM

22,178 posts, read 19,221,727 times
Quote:
Is this available for the general public? I would love to read it.
I'll ask him

Old 10-25-2015, 05:23 AM

15,531 posts, read 10,501,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acercode View Post
I don't put much stock in reviews that don't have "Verified Purchase" next to it. Especially reviews that are extremely glowing or extremely negative.
Exactly, the drive bys should be ignored. Those extremely polished glowing reviews are often done by the owner. The real negative ones are often done by an ex-employee. With Yelp, I look for reviewers that like my favorite restaurants (or services) and follow their suggestions. I haven't been burned yet, or at least not severely anyway. I've never reviewed on Amazon or Yelp, just not much into writing. I do review on Trip Advisor though.

Old 10-25-2015, 06:23 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
Speaking of hilarious reviews, the reviews of this product are the funniest ones I have ever read about an item. I actually tried this product, and the reviewers were not exaggerating about the awful taste of this peanut spread. It is probably the most terrible "food" I have ever tasted. And I'm not joking.

Amazon.com : Walden Farms, Peanut Spread Calorie-Free, 12-Ounce : Peanut Butter : Grocery & Gourmet Food

Old 10-25-2015, 06:32 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,117,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acercode View Post
I don't put much stock in reviews that don't have "Verified Purchase" next to it. Especially reviews that are extremely glowing or extremely negative.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
This is exactly what I do. If it doesn't say 'verified,' I'm not biting.
That's what I used to think but the free/discounted reviews will get the "Verified Purchase" badge because the reviewers have to actually "purchase" the item off of Amazon. It's just that when you apply the coupon code the seller/manufacturer provides, your out of pocked cost is zero or nearly zero. Voila, it's a Verified Purchase.

Also, many of these sellers/manufacturers require you to submit the proposed text of the review. They will then ask you to post the review after their perusal. Hence, I suspect that at least some of the more critical or cursory reviews (deemed "not constructive", however defined) might not get published.

I was not saying that the reviews derived from these free/discounted programs are fake or are not dependable. All I am saying is that these programs have an inherent conflict of interest (desire to get more free stuff, gratitude for free stuff, guilt for not giving good review for free stuff, etc.).

In case you are wondering, yes, I am on these review panels and get free or nearly free stuff on a pretty regular basis. I always try to be balanced and honest, but I'm sure I am subconsciously affected to some degree by the fact that I am getting stuff for free because I am a human.

Mick

Old 10-25-2015, 06:34 AM

27,141 posts, read 15,318,187 times
Quote:

We had a lot of with this one on one of the other forums I frequent a couple of years ago, it was so funny!

Old 10-25-2015, 06:39 AM

27,141 posts, read 15,318,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
The biggest problem with reviews is people are more likely to take the time and write negative ones. Happy customers don't take the time. About the only thing I've found useful with reviews is look at the negative ones too find out specific things that *may* be wrong with a product.

You are correct about the unsatisfied customers wanting to speak their mind more.

There have been a few times though that I have written good reviews when a product has been great.
When people are happy they are more likely to express that in face to face conversations than online.

I have also found that some that have negative comments (my newest washer without an agitator as an example) are not using the product correctly and are too quick to complain.

Old 10-25-2015, 07:16 AM

50,786 posts, read 36,486,545 times
OMG, I feel bad for the guy who ate them just after boarding a 6-hour flight
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events