Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2015, 04:49 PM

331 posts, read 382,245 times

Advertisements

I think anyone could foresee this happening -- back in 1998.

It's obvious that sites like Amazon and Yelp are saturated with fake reviews submitted by people wanting to make a quick buck:

Big problem at a site you probably shop at
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2015, 08:21 PM

20,127 posts, read 16,183,823 times
Gosh, I am so surprised that some of those glowing reviews are fake - said no one.

Old 10-23-2015, 08:34 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,829,319 times
Gun fetishist John Lott has made a career out of boosting his own books under false names (and then when he was outed, he tried blaming his kids for most of the reviews), and also using false names to write scathing reviews of authors with whom he has disagreements (and sometimes in those reviews he endlessly touts his own books, without ever mentioning that he is that author, of course).

John Lott’s online book reviews – Deltoid

And who can forget Dilbart cartoonist Scott Adams' online trolling, as well as using false names to proclaim Scott Adams (ie, himself) to be a genius?

Scott Adams admits he’s a troll online The Daily Cartoonist

Some people simply have no shame.

Old 10-23-2015, 09:22 PM

589 posts, read 697,045 times
Phony reviews work so well because the average person is so gullible and desperate for other people's approval. People are so willing to like/dislike something just because other people do. Ever notice how if the first comment in a thread is positive, most of next posters follow suite? Then if someone makes the exact kind of thread later and the first comment is negative then so is everyone else's opinion on the subject.

The answer to the age old question of "if all your friends jumped off a bridge would you, too?" is and always will be "yes!"

Old 10-23-2015, 09:27 PM

42,862 posts, read 26,331,937 times
I'm not sure that what happened with the Amazon reviews is any worse than what Kohl's does, if you post a bad review they remove it and then they won't discuss the removal with you. I bought a bedding set from them and the whole thing was made of polyester (no content label on outside of package).I posted that the polyester sheets were like sleeping in a plastic bag and that there were large brown spots on the sheets. My review was removed and I was notified that I had violated their terms of service.

Old 10-24-2015, 04:07 AM

15,538 posts, read 10,521,878 times
My rule of thumb, never pay attention to people who have one or two reviews. I've had really good experiences following like minded reviewers on Yelp. A lot of the ones who give multiple reviews are great.

Old 10-24-2015, 06:41 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,130,715 times
You now see tons of Amazon reviews where reviewers were given a product for free (or at a steep discount) by the seller/manufacturer in exchange for giving a purportedly honest and unbiased opinion. It is human nature to give a good review in such instance because (i) the reviewer wants more free stuff from the seller/manufacturer to review in the future, (ii) the reviewer is probably very grateful for getting a free/discounted stuff, and (iii) the "value" assessment for the product is skewed because it is free/discounted. The reviews all disclose that they got the product for free or with a steep discount, but that is not apparent unless you actually read the entire review and if you just look at the star ratings, you'd never be able to tell.

To me, that's a rather shady practice but they do it openly and Amazon seems to condone it.

Mick

Old 10-24-2015, 06:47 AM

19,830 posts, read 9,398,479 times
http://www.amazon.com/Hutzler-571-Ba...ews/B0047E0EII

My all-time favorite.

Old 10-24-2015, 07:01 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,097,922 times
The biggest problem with reviews is people are more likely to take the time and write negative ones. Happy customers don't take the time. About the only thing I've found useful with reviews is look at the negative ones too find out specific things that *may* be wrong with a product.

Old 10-24-2015, 07:17 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,031,769 times
I do read the reviews on Amazon and find many of them to be helpful and accurate. I also write reviews for nearly every item that I buy on Amazon.

I generally don't pay much - no - ANY - attention to reviews on products if there are only a handful of reviews and they're all gushingly positive. Call me skeptical but it works for me. But many Amazon products have hundreds of reviews and they're a mixture of good and bad. To me, when I see that sort of activity on a product's review section, I feel pretty confident that I'm getting some honest feedback.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events