Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 06:04 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,005,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
A. He was right.
B. You need to mind your own business.
Did you miss the first 7 words "Let me start off with a joke"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2015, 06:34 AM

19,122 posts, read 25,323,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
he replied "my mother taught me not to pee on my hands" and left.

Well, last night--at Panera--I apparently encountered somebody whose mother didn't teach him not to pee on his hands.
Why do I say that?
I say it because he walked from the urinal directly to the hot air hand dryer, without using the sink.
After ~20 seconds of using the dryer, he pulled the door open and left.

After I took care of business, I washed my hands and used the hot air hand dryer, because the towel dispenser wasn't working.
While I was drying my hands, two additional guys walked out without even any pretense of running water over their hands.

And now you know why I try to always have a spare napkin or two in my pocket for opening lavatory doors.

Old 10-30-2015, 06:40 AM

19,122 posts, read 25,323,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Did you miss the first 7 words "Let me start off with a joke"?

...and it is a very old joke!

Old 10-30-2015, 07:30 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,050,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I'm surprised more people don't get sick en masse more often.

People must either get lucky or just built up some immunity.

Especially in cuisines which use a lot of bare hands in preparing many aspects of preparing the dish, cooking, the toppings, folding/rolling, etc. etc.
Exactly! It's not just on a baby changing shelf; you can pick up something anywhere that was recently touched by someone who just changed their kid's diaper, or are contagious with the flu, etc.

Old 10-30-2015, 09:15 AM

1,658 posts, read 1,241,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Naw, he said Shigella is primarily passed by gay guys. Not hep A.
I got the same rep too but I think he is right though. The CDC actually has a wealth of information on this. One study put the figure at over 90% of victims were male and over 90% of these males were sexually active & gay. According to a survey the majority of these infected guys had multiple partners within days, mouth to anus and penis to mouth contact after anal sex.

The rate of infection was over 20x higher Among these gay men vs all women & straight guys combined. The remaining cases are from small kids who are almost always in unsanitary child care facilities. You can also find news articles about past outbreaks around the world, and most of them point to the gay community.

I don't know for sure, but it sounds like those fish tacos from the taco stand aren't going to give you an antibiotic-resistant case of Shigellosis.

Speaking of which, other studies say the antibiotic resistant strain isn't the one seen in children.

Old 10-30-2015, 10:17 AM

7,982 posts, read 4,286,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Well, last night--at Panera--I apparently encountered somebody whose mother didn't teach him not to pee on his hands.
Why do I say that?
I say it because he walked from the urinal directly to the hot air hand dryer, without using the sink.
After ~20 seconds of using the dryer, he pulled the door open and left.

After I took care of business, I washed my hands and used the hot air hand dryer, because the towel dispenser wasn't working.
While I was drying my hands, two additional guys walked out without even any pretense of running water over their hands.

And now you know why I try to always have a spare napkin or two in my pocket for opening lavatory doors.

Ew ew ew ew ew ew!!!!

I'm already a germie, this will NOT help!

Old 10-30-2015, 12:10 PM

436 posts, read 446,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Preparation H also sells individually wrapped wipes,,, for those "not so comfortable days"....
I won't, If I can avoid it, use a porta-potty at all, I ahve gto be desperate.
Especially on days I wear my kilt!

I thought that everyone used wet wipes. Just curious, on kilt days, why not the porta-potty?

Old 10-30-2015, 04:55 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,556,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
I have a quick tip as a former cook for those who are scared to eat out. Go check out the bathroom first since it tells all about how clean they are in the kitchen.
As for this outbreak I'm betting it was most likely some sort of food contaminated product brought into this restaurant than the hygiene of the workers.
Having 200+ some people getting sick at the same time suggests a food born contagion not one spread by a worker.
As a former cook, I would think you would know that shigella is spread by feces, human feces. Most probably by an employee in the food prep area. You'd be surprised by how many cooks don't wash their hands. Which is why there should be at LEAST one hand wash sink in the food prep area, for easy access. At least one, multiple depending how large the kitchen is.

Old 10-30-2015, 07:40 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Yup!
That is my routine, also.
And, for instances when there aren't any paper towels to use on the door handle, I always keep a napkin (from Starbucks, Panera, or the like) in my pocket for use on a door handle. When you get coffee or something else, just squirrel-away an extra napkin for future use on restroom door handles!

I've used a shirt sleeve or hem when I've had to.

Old 10-30-2015, 07:45 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Where2now22 View Post
Speaking of the gym, I caught a nasty infection from probably gym mats. Since then I decon each time.
I'm pretty sure I caught a stomach virus from my gym a couple winters ago, a few days before Christmas. It was winter break (I was a college student) and literally the only place I was going was the gym, for those few days before, so I'm 99% sure I got sick from equipment or something. No one else in my family and no friends I saw ever got sick prior (or after). Since then I'm more vigilant with gym equipment and such. People are gross.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events