Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2015, 03:00 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,412,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AminWi View Post
And how does that compare to refugees from other places? After all, refusing to accept refugees from Syria does not mean that we will necessarily be accepting fewer refugees over all.
I could not care less how it compares. I was refuting another posters claims that refugees are some economic boom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2015, 03:04 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,466,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpm1 View Post
Chart is quoted above. Are you disputing it? Neither of your citations actually discusses welfare usage.
Pesky data.

Old 11-19-2015, 03:09 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,371,362 times
Quote:
It really is too bad congress authorized the war and both parties were involved in that authorization. Ultimately yes the war in Iraq was a bad call and is certainly part of the cause here. Another cause is our decision to leave a power vacuum in Iraq while creating one in Syria. What a win win for everyone!
???? Created one in Syria?? I think that actually falls on Assad's shoulder's ..certainly not the USA..

I know many want to blame BO for not attacking and Invading Syria after he said..They crossed the "Red Line"..But that RED LINE was Using Chemicals on Assad's own citizens...Warships parked on Syrian's shores..Congress was asked to vote on this act of "Aggression" war...after Cameron got shutdown in the UK for partnering with BO in such an effort......

Then of course. Putin realizing his buddy Assad did cross that line..facilitated the Chemical's being seized and removed thru the UN Chemical Weapon's experts.. So ..fast forward..Assad ignored Isil..allowed them to basically take over almost half of his Country ( Northern portion)..Assad /along with Lack of Leadership in Iraq..allowed these barbarian's to cross freely between those two Countries....

IF I want to blame anybody..My list would start with Assad, then Putin and Iran who actually supported that despot..ignoring those barbarians in northern Syria.. I truly think many have actually forgotten the timeline of events of how Isil was able to establish it's Caliphate in north/western Iraq..and safe haven in Syria in which to operate with impunity!!

Isil hierarchy are actually Iraqi Sunni..Not Syrian...They just took advantage of Assad attacking his own peoples leaving a nice little hunk of land to set up base..operational headquarters..training camps..Turkey sitting quietly on their border watching ( DOING NOTHING) allow free flow of foreign fighters to flow freely back and forth into Europe..onto wherever they wanted to go..no tracking...Ohhh Yeah..All the while Turkey has been buying Isil Oil...feeding the coffer's of this now named "Enemy of the World"!!

ISIL are NOT Syrian..ISIL just so happens to operate inside Syria due to Lack of effort by Iraq/Syria/Turkey "Leadership" to do a Gosh Darn Thing!! Me thinks blaming BO is just something political opponents love to use because they HATE the man!! Pandora's Box got opened over 12 years ago..and ushering in Democratic elections in Iraq and Afghanistan..BOTH ended up being corrupt,ineffective ....Won't bother going into that dynamic now!!

The Syrian People are victim's of ALL I mentioned above..THEY are NOT the problem...They are Victim's of War...The Barbarian's are stoking fear using platforms even Al Qaeda wouldn't use..But the media savvy ISIL/Politicians in USA are both feeding the FEAR's!!

Oh..Also Vetting of Refugee's is a long process..1-2 years..even before allowed into USA...and those that come to border requesting asylum ..are NOT allowed to roam freely...but sent to detention centres.

It's the visitor's, vacationer's, work visa's, who arrive..then don't leave!! THOSE are the one's I would worry about much more!!!!!!!

Old 11-19-2015, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
I have a friend who worked at LAX for over 20 years for an international carrier, they would have round trip fares that left say Indonesia, they come to the US, but they don't go back for the return.

As far as work visas go I worked for a company that hired a contractor , one day he tells he has to go to downtown LA(he had been in NY for 10 years) to Homeland Security. That was the last we saw of him, he left his country on work visa and it must have expired. He was in NY for 10 years, coming out to CA must have triggered something.

That's your screening system at work.
I believe it. No doubt it's half-baked at best which is unfortunate and potentially dangerous. Look at all the people on student visa who "disappear"? Throw in politics/agendas into the mix and it becomes even more unfortunate.

I just don't like the idea of some people suggesting "hey, our current system stinks, so let's just allow more potential nuts into the system and stink it up further with more unknowns!". That "logic" escapes me.

Old 11-19-2015, 03:14 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,832,942 times
Large majority vote.

House passes bill that could limit Syrian refugees - CNNPolitics.com

Old 11-19-2015, 03:15 PM

42,840 posts, read 26,253,950 times
Quote:
I eagerly await your reply.
I'm still waiting for you to prove that 90% of middle eastern refugees are unemployed- your chart proved nothing. In fact here are the real numbers on the employment status of middle eastern refugees:

"Immigrants from the MENA region, especially women, participated in the U.S. labor force at a much lower rate than the overall immigrant and native-born populations. In 2013, about 58 percent of MENA immigrants ages 16 and over were in the civilian labor force, compared to 67 percent and 63 percent of the total foreign- and native-born populations, respectively. Meanwhile, approximately 44 percent of female MENA immigrants were in the civilian labor force, compared to the overall female foreign-born (56 percent) and U.S.-born (59 percent) populations, possibly attributable to the conservative culture of many Muslim countries. Male MENA immigrants in general participated in the civilian labor force (70 percent) at a rate similar to the total foreign-born population with a notable exception—only around 28 percent of male immigrants from Saudi Arabia were in the U.S. civilian labor force."

As far as the 'welfare' programs you listed which are somehow supposed to your claim of a 90% unemployment rate, unfortunately the right wing blogosphere who have published that crap failed to mention that a relatively large number of middle eastern refugees are children and elderly people. Also, most of those benefits are time limited and only available to refugees for a relatively short time during which they are expected to learn english and secure employment.

Old 11-19-2015, 03:16 PM

42,840 posts, read 26,253,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
Pesky data.
Pesky indeed, particularly when it fails to support his claim that 90% of ME refugees are unemployed huh?

Old 11-19-2015, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Pesky indeed, particularly when it fails to support his claim that 90% of ME refugees are unemployed huh?
Regardless if they are employed or not, to me it just shows the vast majority are taking money from the system. Money we don't have as we are broke. But sure, let another 10k in! Free money! Unvetted! We love everyone!

Old 11-19-2015, 03:30 PM

8,674 posts, read 22,911,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadgates View Post
FYI - NOT ONE of the terrorists involved in the Paris attack were in our "database" that we are using to supposedly vet these "refugees"...
7 of the 8 were on our no-fly list. Not sure what database you refer to.

Quote:
French authorities have said most of the Friday attackers - five have been identified so far - were unknown to them. But two U.S. officials said that many, though not all, of those identified were on the U.S. no-fly list. The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they weren't authorized to discuss the issue publicly.
FROM: https://www.ksl.com/?sid=37424457&ni..._cid=popular-8
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events