Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2015, 08:54 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,931,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
You're not a kid anymore, and you're not Jewish. My Uncles tell me they were beat up in school or outside school (in Philly) all the time for being Jewish. This was in the 50's, but those people who experienced it are going to grow up wanting something different for their own children, and doing what they can to protect them. People may not get physically beat anymore, but verbal teasing and bullying is still rampant in schools.
So now they (the mom) want to be known for the people that removed Santa from Christmas week? Is there a reason the child could have not opted out of the activity instead of ruining it for the whole class?

Old 12-30-2015, 08:55 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,962,173 times
Jews makeup 6% of the population, but they sure seem in control. Geez! It is Santa for goodness sake, get over it! Lets just forget Christmas because it might offend someone! The district in my area is closed for the Jewish holidays because there are a handful of Jewish people in it. Of course they get their way. Who cares about the masses!

Old 12-30-2015, 08:56 AM

50,723 posts, read 36,424,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
In one of the newspaper articles it was stated that the child was the only Jew in the class.
But we don't know about the school, or the town. The poster said we should live "in an area" with many other Jews, in other words we should segregate ourselves so you guys don't have to?

Old 12-30-2015, 08:58 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,833,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
I agree that Santa is made up and not in the bible, but.....

Santa Claus Bows to Baby Jesus in Baptist Church's Live Nativity Scene (PHOTO)

But what?
Quote:

The pastor's wife, Shirley Johnson, told the publication she was inspired by a figurine she saw 25 years ago that portrayed Santa in a bowing position.
"It struck me as a powerful message, so I had the vision in my heart to do this scene live — and it all worked out for us to do it this year," Johnson said.
The pastor's wife added that the church's nativity scene with Santa bowing to Jesus goes against the materialistic trend that sometimes seems to overshadow the true meaning of Christmas for Christians.

I posted a picture of a Jewish Santa. Does that mean Santa is Jewish?

Old 12-30-2015, 08:59 AM

50,723 posts, read 36,424,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
So now they (the mom) want to be known for the people that removed Santa from Christmas week? Is there a reason the child could have not opted out of the activity instead of ruining it for the whole class?
Yes, because it is not fair to the child, nor the kids who are Hindu and Jehovah's Witnesses and other religions that don't celebrate Christmas. Also the mom simply wrote a letter, detailing how the entire week in school was spent on Christmas activities, culminating in this trip, to the exclusion of all other religions, that's why. She had every right to question why her child was being given the choice of celebrating another religion IN SCHOOL or to voluntarily skip the trip...neither is right nor fair.

If the trip were to some Muslim cultural activity, I am betting the same folks here complaining would be complaining even more loudly about that.

Old 12-30-2015, 08:59 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,988,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Jews makeup 6% of the population, but they sure seem in control. Geez! It is Santa for goodness sake, get over it! Lets just forget Christmas because it might offend someone! The district in my area is closed for the Jewish holidays because there are a handful of Jewish people in it. Of course they get their way. Who cares about the masses!
Actually, it is more like the Christians get their panties in a bunch when someone doesn't believe in the same things they believe in. Not everyone believes or celebrates Christmas, "get over it".

Old 12-30-2015, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
Actually, it is more like the Christians get their panties in a bunch when someone doesn't believe in the same things they believe in. Not everyone believes or celebrates Christmas, "get over it".
No just 90-95% of Americans.

Quote:
Yes, because it is not fair to the child, nor the kids who are Hindu and Jehovah's Witnesses and other religions that don't celebrate Christmas. Also the mom simply wrote a letter, detailing how the entire week in school was spent on Christmas activities, culminating in this trip, to the exclusion of all other religions, that's why. She had every right to question why her child was being given the choice of celebrating another religion IN SCHOOL or to voluntarily skip the trip...neither is right nor fair.

If the trip were to some Muslim cultural activity, I am betting the same folks here complaining would be complaining even more loudly about that.
The mom did more than write a letter.
And both are right and fair.
Again Santa is not a religion

Quote:
But we don't know about the school, or the town. The poster said we should live "in an area" with many other Jews, in other words we should segregate ourselves so you guys don't have to?
Well it was the class that was scheduled for the trip not the entire school or town.
I dont think thats what the poster said.

Its actually a natural instinct for people to segregate themselves. You will see peoples of different cultures and races and religions who gravitate towards like communities. I think the idea is commonality makes life easier. Why would one want to be in an area where almost everyone has a different religious, racial or cultural makeup and then pitch a fit because they celebrate their religious, racial or cultural makeup.
No one is suggesting intolerance or against diversity but no one likes their established culture to be overthrown and disassembled by a minority group.
There is a saying...When in Rome....
Which does not mean your own culture cant also be embraced.

Old 12-30-2015, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummagumma View Post
Which is a polite way to say you're going to Hell... except most kids are not that polite with other kids.

I wonder if there is beer in Hell?

Old 12-30-2015, 09:25 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Wow, just wow!

Old 12-30-2015, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
That is not how constitutional rights are determined. The constitution protects everyone from someone or some group imposing their religion on them.
Yes but were are not talking about imposing a religion. We are talking about a 10 year tradition of seeing Santa Clause. There is a difference.
Not everything we do is specified under the Constitution. If we did not have a majority rule in this country we would not have these things called elections, voting, and referendums.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events