Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2016, 07:43 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,213,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummagumma View Post

I do have a deeply religious Catholic friend who's normally a very nice, generous individual yet a terrible tipper. I don't know if that has anything to do with him being religious.
I don't think so. My wife is a devout catholic and always makes sure I leave a nice tip.

Old 01-20-2016, 07:53 AM

5,293 posts, read 6,056,775 times
Yeah it definitely has nothing to do with religion. Tipping style has everything to do with personality. There are a few different types of tippers.

The person over concerned with perceptions of others - will usually leave a generous tip regardless of service quality. They want to make sure they don't appear cheap or insensitive.
The person concerned with the human element - will usually leave a generous tip out of compassion.
The analytical number cruncher who is bound by rules and doesn't think about the perceptions of others - usually has a tipping card or calculator to make sure they match the 15% minimum.
The perpetual complainer - Never happy regardless of reality or actual service level, works the system to get cheap or free food - tips scantily if at all.
The socially oblivious tipper - usually carries on conversation too long with the serving staff, making jokes that are terribly insufferable puns. They usually leave $2 regardless of bill, or "conversation starters" like religious tracts, or political information. These people have no clue how happy the serving staff is when they leave because of the energy it takes to pretend to care about what they are saying.

Political Ideology and religious affiliation have nothing to do with it. It's an emotional and social intelligence issue.

Old 01-20-2016, 07:57 AM

3,762 posts, read 5,855,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
People who are fulfilling the Great Commission are not playing practical jokes, they are trying to spread the Word. Unfortunately, this particular person did it in a way that would be off-putting, rather than encouraging, to a potential believer.

The best way would have been to leave a cash tip along with the tract.

Old 01-20-2016, 08:01 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,107,800 times
How incredibly arrogant is it to leave a bible verse for someone else...as if YOU know what is good for/what will help them??

what if they're Hindu? Muslim? Athiest? But folks feel it's okay to leave a christian bible verse for someone? How rude.

Old 01-20-2016, 08:58 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,932,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
Whoa....It just hit me...Could it be the waiter was lying?....I wonder now as to his attitude towards Christians in general....Dang.....
Hey good thought, I mean really why would a person complain. I get handed those all the time even while I was working. Never thought about running to complain about it, make the news, most went in the trash after I briefly read it.

To wrap scripture in phony money, seems to represent someone not secure in what they themselves believe. My guess this is a person who has not read the Bible, but feels if by converting or passes out scripture their foot is in the door.

Old 01-20-2016, 09:09 AM

2,936 posts, read 2,333,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
How incredibly arrogant is it to leave a bible verse for someone else...as if YOU know what is good for/what will help them??

what if they're Hindu? Muslim? Athiest? But folks feel it's okay to leave a christian bible verse for someone? How rude.
It's beyond rude. Never once has someone approached me trying to convert me to Judaism, Islam, Hindu, Buddhism etc... My religion is my private business and I find these methods intrusive & disrespectful.

Old 01-20-2016, 09:17 AM

17,552 posts, read 13,334,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
This patron is cheap. If he was really behaving in a Christian way he would have left some money with that message masquerading as a $20.

Kansas waiter's $20 tip was actually a Bible pamphlet | www.ajc.com
Christian my butt. Cheap SOB

Isn't it still a Federal offense to make a facsimile of cash?

Old 01-20-2016, 09:25 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,260,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I think it is very misleading to make a bible pamphlet look like a $20 bill. If you want to spread the word do it genuinely and transparently.

Bad behavior comes in all denominations, though I would have shared any similar article with any other similar content. Handing out fake money, especially where people need it, is pretty lame.
I doubt that the folks who printed this tract intended for it to be given to someone who had a reasonable expectation of being given cash. I imagine the intent was that it just be randomly set someplace where it would catch someone's eye.

Old 01-20-2016, 09:35 AM

16,551 posts, read 8,592,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
Pretty obnoxious, but a little strange how this made the news.
It made the news because there is an assault on religion, and in particular in this country, Christianity.
As with all liberals/progressives, they wish to tear down the pillars of a traditional society. They know consciously or unconsciously that if you erode the foundation of morals/values, that is the best way to remake a society of anything goes.
The media (which is typically liberal) likes to denigrate anything religious (except apparently Islamic Sharia). Regardless, when someone says "God bless you", I always take it as a good thing. If I were a waiter, I certainly want to make money, but if someone left me a bible verse, I wouldn't be all up in arms about it.
What does this have to do with the topic you might ask?

Simple, as money is the root of most evil. I am religious, but not overly so. I believe in tipping generously for great service, standard rate for good service, below the norm for poor service. I have also been known to verbally tell the waiter what was lacking, or even write a note explaining the tip reflects the quality of the service.
Just as many people (including myself) will use a movie or TV show to make their point, others might use bible verses to get a message across.

The bottom line is that this story was framed in such a way as to demean the customer as having done something wrong. In reality they may have done something outside of the norm, but money is not always the only thing we should be focused on.

BTW - On a side note, I have a friend who has very little money. Instead of buying Christmas cards, he takes the time to write out a positive Christmas message on a sheet of paper and gives it to his friends.
While some people might find it weird or inappropriate, to me it means more. Anyone can go out and pick a Hallmark card for it's words and buy it. But if someone is willing to make the effort to write out their well wishes, it shows how it comes from the heart, not the wallet.

`

Old 01-20-2016, 10:20 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,910,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
Yeah it definitely has nothing to do with religion. Tipping style has everything to do with personality. There are a few different types of tippers.

The person over concerned with perceptions of others - will usually leave a generous tip regardless of service quality. They want to make sure they don't appear cheap or insensitive.
The person concerned with the human element - will usually leave a generous tip out of compassion.
The analytical number cruncher who is bound by rules and doesn't think about the perceptions of others - usually has a tipping card or calculator to make sure they match the 15% minimum.
The perpetual complainer - Never happy regardless of reality or actual service level, works the system to get cheap or free food - tips scantily if at all.
The socially oblivious tipper - usually carries on conversation too long with the serving staff, making jokes that are terribly insufferable puns. They usually leave $2 regardless of bill, or "conversation starters" like religious tracts, or political information. These people have no clue how happy the serving staff is when they leave because of the energy it takes to pretend to care about what they are saying.

Political Ideology and religious affiliation have nothing to do with it. It's an emotional and social intelligence issue.
I agree. I've stated this before, but it bears repeating: Tipping is not based on the bill alone, but also on the time spent eating at the table. Leaving a 5-dollar tip for a 20-dollar meal is sufficient, if you don't linger at the table. But if you insist on endless coffee refills, multiple rounds of drinks, desserts, etc, and lounge around for several hours, then the tip should increase accordingly, because that table could have turned over at least twice already..

So many people don't grasp this..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events