Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 04:50 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,482,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Flood insurance covers those living near rivers as well, even in the middle of the country. So it's not just about those living near the beach. I'm tired of everybody complaining, right after a disaster happens, that they have to pay for oceanfront properties. Have some compassion (not you robyn, in general). As far as homes being vacation homes, it depends.
OK - substitute riverfront or lakefront or even retention pond-front for oceanfront. I can say I have absolutely 100% zero compassion for anyone who lives in an area like this who hasn't purchased what is relatively cheap taxpayer subsidized federal flood insurance. Why should I? Why should anyone? Do we bail out people who don't have homeowners' insurance if their house burns down?

My point was simply that taxpayer subsidized federal flood insurance doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Robyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2016, 04:56 PM

537 posts, read 768,720 times
Every region has their thing. Coastal flooding. River flooding. Spring flooding. Winter cold and snow. Wildfires. Hurricanes, tropical storms. Tornadoes. Earthquakes.

It all looks different when it's not happening to you. Because **** gets real when it's happening to you.

Whenever your governor declares a disaster state or emergency state in your state, please remember....this is TAXPAYER SUBSIDIZED ASSISTANCE.

Thank you!

and

You're welcome!

Old 01-24-2016, 05:01 PM

35,018 posts, read 16,978,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
Boo hoo, East Coasters! No one cares.

Get your shovels out and get to work, just as the rest of us do on a daily basis in the wintertime.
Excuse my response to this insult. New Yorkers got their city up and running today. As soon as communities in Wyoming stop leaching NY taxpayers for imaginary terror threats, I'll sympathize with the tenor or your post.

Old 01-24-2016, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by siameseifyoupls View Post
Everyone in the country is supposed to be New York-centric.
Or at least NE city-centric. The MSM is blind to what happens in most of the country. Where there are no luxury hotels/restaurants/good eats to be found. I lived in south Miami/Dade County during Hurricane Andrew - and the MSM was off to New Orleans to party and have a good time before it even realized that south Miami/Dade County (where I lived) had been totally decimated/obliterated/wiped off the face of the earth. Robyn

Old 01-24-2016, 05:14 PM

537 posts, read 768,720 times
Having lived in the Capital region (Albany), I've never really understood the upstate hate for downstate. Upstaters shouldn't be on a high horse. Downstaters are wimpy? LOL If it weren't for the city and its suburbs tax dollars, New York state would be on par with a "fly over" state (in revenue). Seriously...downstaters provide something like half of the state tax revenue.

Old 01-24-2016, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
It's winter in New York... it's snowing...in January...and the news coverage was 24-hours? How silly. They act like it's Armageddon.

I have lived in NY all my life. In western NY we get snow falls like that all the time. It snows! Sometimes it snows hard...and the wind blows...and blizzards happen. We westerners don't converge on the stores and empty the shelves in a panic. Why? Because we know it might snow and bury us for days, so we fill our pantries early. We also know the power might fail us for days. We keep emergency lights on hand, along with a way to keep warm. We don't panic. We don't complain about the snow. Two feet of snow is...well, it's nothing really. Stay home, stay off the roads unless it an emergency and enjoy the show.

Downstate NYers are wimps.
I went to college in the Finger Lakes. Ithaca. I remember an awful lot of snow. And sometimes sliding down hills on cafeteria trays. But I don't remember ever having to worry about getting food. Don't remember the power going out either (although perhaps - since I was young - there might have been a day or two I don't remember 40 years later). I do remember that the only cold weather clothing back then was itchy/scratchy wool - which I didn't like at all (there's better stuff available today).

Note that I really didn't enjoy this kind of weather - I tend to dislike cold weather/being cold - which is why I moved to Florida shortly after I completed school . But winter snow storms never seemed like a big deal to me. Robyn

Old 01-24-2016, 05:26 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,468,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
I heard that in upstate New York there are more deer than people. Not sure how a couple feet of snow there would impact 85 million people directly, and many more indirectly.

Also, who is 'they' and have 'they' been on the news claiming this storm is Armageddon or is that something you just made up?

I didn't say "upstate NY". I said "western NY". Big difference. Upstate probably does have more deer than people, but in western NY we got big cities, shopping malls and everything.

Oh, and I also never said anything about the news media claiming it was Armageddon. I said people were acting as if it was the End. Again, big difference.

Old 01-24-2016, 05:33 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,600,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I don't know where others live, but where I live people don't leave junk around that winds up in the plowed snow. I imagine that would be more of a problem in a city, like NYC or Boston.

Pollution makes sense. Roads are dirty, that plowed snow is not the nice white stuff you see on your lawn.

Or Chicago. People leave old chairs, ironing boards, wooden horses and other items in the parking spots they've taken hours to dig out, in order to call dibs and save it while they're away. City officials have discussed making this illegal, but there would be a major upheaval if they did.

Old 01-24-2016, 06:00 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,643,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post

Oh, and I also never said anything about the news media claiming it was Armageddon. I said people were acting as if it was the End. Again, big difference.
I watched a good bit of the news and didn't see anyone 'acting' as if it were the end, except the people reporting about the storm. Even they weren't really saying it was Armageddon.

So, who were these people who are/were 'acting' like it was the end? No one in my neighborhood or anyone I know was acting like it was the end of the world. No one right here on c-d said that, except one person who has a snow phobia.

Are you here and observing everyone who was in the path of the storm? Ugh, I just can't stand when people just make stuff up!

Old 01-24-2016, 06:04 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,979,232 times
People in all areas of the country love to compare natural disasters to each other's and act superior. "Six inches?! That's it?? When we get two feet, we're up and running no problem in a day!", "Barely a Category 1 and this is how X city reacts?! We get Category 3's all the time and we're not nearly as dramatic and a mess as they are!", etc. It's a favorite pastime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events