Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2016, 01:45 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,841,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The government wants a backdoor built into encryption software.
They get the master key.

Everyone else will just break the lock.

The phone cannot be accessed by the manufacturer. The government is conscripting them to write software to do it.

The reason: part of the encryption key is based on the password. If you don't know the password you cannot break the encryption key.
Understood. Impressed this telephone got past the Gov't in the first instance if they are so Big Brother to not note the usefulness of the device to elements which would cause us great harm.

The Gov't can mandate but then it has to be a full blown Congressional debate and vote. A Gov't agency cannot force its will without statute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2016, 01:46 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Sure I see their statement on that and how exactly are the hackers/thieves to obtain this code? Due to poor security by the company who creates the phone?

The iphone is actually no different than the laptop or PC I use now to dow hat you mention- shop, paybills, hold accounting data on hard-drives, access bank accounts. Do I think my computer is absolutely safe from hacking? NO. Do I think my bank or CC is? NO. But there are safeguards in place by those institutions. My responsibility is threefold- 1.Not be reckless with where I share my information. 2.Monitor my accounts. 3.Have reasonably effective anti-virus protection.

Certainly none of the firms who handle my information or provide an access means have undergone corporate suicide because they mayhave been penetrated in the past.

as for #493. I see your view but your family did not die and so you may see it differently as I see it.

I hope you didn't lose anyone to terrorism, and I'm sorry to those who have. To me, this isn't unlike the government being unwilling to negotiate with others in order to free our citizens / journalists, etc. Of course if the person being held was a relative, I'd want the country to intervene. This would be based on emotion. But I understand logically that if the government starts doing that, it increases the risk of everyone who may then be held hostage for ransom.

Big picture - loss of civil liberty, loss of a secure product, asking a company to do something that puts its customers at risk when it wasn't even a personal phone, but a government issued phone.

The bigger issue is, why the wife was allowed entry in the first place and how this guy was able to get and keep a government job.

The FBI needs to work with the departments allowing these people entry with very little vetting instead of going after one month on a company cell phone.

Old 02-25-2016, 01:48 PM

988 posts, read 683,070 times
Quote:
It comes down to this...

They want access to everything whenever they want.
And they don't want any one person or company standing in their way.

A true example of Big Brother "watching out for you".

And, as we found out that our beloved government listens to heads of states in other countries talking on their phones, we do not limit it to "national security".
This is the problem.

To make a weird analogy, the topic of Casey Anthony came up the other day. Why did she get off? IMHO, the prosecutor said, "Trust us," and all of those Pinellas Country-drawn jurors went over in the back of their minds the history of their friends and family with the police and said, "Uh oh."

(EDIT: Now, did Casey Anthony do it? Yes, she did, but I'm not commenting on that. I'm commenting on why she got off.)

This is the same kind of issue. The surveillance state is leaning on many of us to a greater or lesser extent, and all of that is tied to this request. The FBI is saying, "Trust us," and a lot of people are saying, "Uh oh."

Old 02-25-2016, 01:50 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,841,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I hope you didn't lose anyone to terrorism, and I'm sorry to those who have. To me, this isn't unlike the government being unwilling to negotiate with others in order to free our citizens / journalists, etc. Of course if the person being held was a relative, I'd want the country to intervene. This would be based on emotion. But I understand logically that if the government starts doing that, it increases the risk of everyone who may then be held hostage for ransom.

Big picture - loss of civil liberty, loss of a secure product, asking a company to do something that puts its customers at risk when it wasn't even a personal phone, but a government issued phone.

The bigger issue is, why the wife was allowed entry in the first place and how this guy was able to get and keep a government job.

The FBI needs to work with the departments allowing these people entry with very little vetting instead of going after one month on a company cell phone
Agreed on the boldened.

Also believe there should be no emotion attachment although I used that angle-pardon me. We do not need another post-9/11 witch hunt.

I think the courts should resolve as they have the historical case law regarding data storage dating back to the Revolution and also if any genuine Secret information is being withheld from us.

Old 02-25-2016, 01:52 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Understood. Impressed this telephone got past the Gov't in the first instance if they are so Big Brother to not note the usefulness of the device to elements which would cause us great harm.

The Gov't can mandate but then it has to be a full blown Congressional debate and vote. A Gov't agency cannot force its will without statute.
Well they were impressed enough with the strong encryption features to have all their workers have them.

As do big corporations. The iPhone is secure.

Congress is already talking. But Feinstein and Butt are going off to write a law to make Apple and companies just like them "stop playing games with us".

Old 02-25-2016, 01:54 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post

The FBI needs to work with the departments allowing these people entry with very little vetting instead of going after one month on a company cell phone.
The wife got screened 3 different times with the phony address in Pakistan and association with the Red Mosque.

Why is no one asking about those slip-ups ?

Old 02-25-2016, 02:00 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
Quote:
The wife got screened 3 different times with the phony address in Pakistan and association with the Red Mosque.

Why is no one asking about those slip-ups ?
Because to some folks, it's *my country, right or right*. They can't admit the country failed somehow. So they turn a blind eye to this gaping hole and concentrate on how the FBI NEEDS the records from one phone for one month....even though they could get them from their own records or from the cell phone provider.

Old 02-25-2016, 02:12 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,223,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequon View Post
Why do people trust Apple, but not the FBI?
Apple can't arrest me and put me in prison or confiscate my house and bank accounts.

Old 02-25-2016, 02:15 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,223,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrina View Post
I think you are confusing the password to the iCloud account with the 4 digit passcode. These are two entirely different things.
It should be noted that the 4 digit PIN is simple passcode locking that could be brute forced if you get around the erase data after ten incorrect attempts feature. But if it's advanced passcode locking allowing longer strings of characters and digits, brute forcing might not be possible.

Old 02-25-2016, 02:40 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,278,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unwillingphoenician View Post
My solution would be to throw every single person in the United States in jail proactively and monitor them twenty-four seven with the latest video and sound technology. I mean, if the goal is to prevent terrorists from communicating with each other no matter what, that would do it.
So we have to die because someone doesn't want their iPhones opened. In the meantime, millions of accounts are stolen at Target and Home Depot and the same people don't blink an eye and keep going back for more. But let some terrorist mow people down at a Christmas party and all of a sudden people get epiphany for their privacy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events