Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2016, 09:01 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,027,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I'm sure people living in actual war zones would trade places with you in a second. Really? 3-4 nights of fireworks and you want to act like you're living in Baghdad.

And each one of those people were shocked and surprised that fireworks were being set off for the Fourth of July? It happens every year. If it is really that disruptive to your life, then yeah get a hotel room, use a noise machine or buy some earplugs.

So, I should have to sedate three of my dogs EVERY NIGHT for nearly 4 weeks because knuckle dragging rednecks think it is cool to pizz away money on momentary gratifications that disturb every single reasonable person around them??

oh wait... with New Years, that makes eight weeks.... except that the cold weather will keep most of them indoors except for little forays every now and again...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2016, 09:54 PM

6,471 posts, read 6,674,898 times
Quote:

And each one of those people were shocked and surprised that fireworks were being set off for the Fourth of July? It happens every year. If it is really that disruptive to your life, then yeah get a hotel room, use a noise machine or buy some earplugs.
What does not being "shocked and surprised" have to do with it? Are you really so self-absorbed that you believe any of your neighbors who truly need sleep should pay for four friggin nights in a hotel, and if they have pets, pay boarding fees as well?! That seems reasonable to you? All of this despite the fact that the fireworks are illegal or violate HOA covenants to begin with?

Is there any other scenario in which your neighbors' noise driving you out of your home for four nights in a row would be acceptable to YOU?

You can't even be serious.

Old 07-05-2016, 09:55 PM

759 posts, read 636,823 times
Quote:
I'm sure people living in actual war zones would trade places with you in a second. Really? 3-4 nights of fireworks and you want to act like you're living in Baghdad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
So, I should have to sedate three of my dogs EVERY NIGHT for nearly 4 weeks because knuckle dragging rednecks think it is cool to pizz away money on momentary gratifications that disturb every single reasonable person around them??

oh wait... with New Years, that makes eight weeks.... except that the cold weather will keep most of them indoors except for little forays every now and again...
Exactly!

Hey Sunday... nobody said anything about living in Baghdad and nobody is shocked that people like you want to set off chain reaction fireworks for 5 consecutive hours after 7pm for 2-4 consecutive days around the 4th and New Year's even though those evenings fall on work/school nights.

Sure it's disruptive... but you don't care. You are celebrating your freedom... just try not to celebrate like the idiots who blow their hands off or kill themselves with an ill-timed fireworks explosion.

That would truly break my heart.

Old 07-05-2016, 10:20 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,822,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChloeC View Post

You are celebrating your freedom... just try not to celebrate like the idiots who blow their hands off or kill themselves with an ill-timed fireworks explosion.

Newsflash: That's exactly how the vast majority of Americans celebrate the Fourth of July--without blowing their hands off or killing themselves.

Old 07-05-2016, 10:38 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,011,042 times
Quote:
Yup, mortars going off. Constant noise for hours.

The first time I experienced this "freedom" about 9 years ago, I believe my exact words were, "this must be what Baghdad sounds like".

Old 07-05-2016, 10:39 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,011,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Newsflash: That's exactly how the vast majority of Americans celebrate the Fourth of July--without blowing their hands off or killing themselves.
The vast majority of Americans set off fireworks in their backyards?

I don't think so.

Old 07-05-2016, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Thanks for the tip Captain Obvious. I really was talking about the select few that end up hurt or dead though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
Yup, mortars going off. Constant noise for hours.

The first time I experienced this "freedom" about 9 years ago, I believe my exact words were, "this must be what Baghdad sounds like".
Yeah last night it was a constant 7pm till midnight with the chain reaction explosions going off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
The vast majority of Americans set off fireworks in their backyards?

I don't think so.
Yeah unfortunately it just takes the one guy in the neighborhood to disturb the entire neighborhood.

Old 07-05-2016, 11:41 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times
Quote:
I am in an unincorporated area of the county I live in, and the fireworks stands go up 2 weeks before the 4th (and New Years Day) and stay up for 2 weeks past the 4th (and New Years Day)
Where do you live? I also live in an unincorporated county and the firework stands open up about a week before the fourth (June 25)and all the ones I passed by today were closed. Legally they can still be open through today, but not for two weeks. I've never once seen a firework stand for New Years Day.

Quote:

Don't be dramatic. People are not shooting off fireworks every night for 8 weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
What does not being "shocked and surprised" have to do with it? Are you really so self-absorbed that you believe any of your neighbors who truly need sleep should pay for four friggin nights in a hotel, and if they have pets, pay boarding fees as well?! That seems reasonable to you? All of this despite the fact that the fireworks are illegal or violate HOA covenants to begin with?
If the fireworks are that disruptive to their lives, then yes. Not really sure why I'm self absorbed. I just don't think that people are going to suddenly stop buying fireworks for the Fourth, so if it bothers you, be proactive about it. And hotels was just one of the suggestions. You could also use earplugs, noise canceling headphones, or a noise machine. There are plenty of options to deal with outside noise.

If you live somewhere where fireworks are illegal or violate your HOA covenants, then make a complaint.

Quote:

Hey Sunday... nobody said anything about living in Baghdad and nobody is shocked that people like you want to set off chain reaction fireworks for 5 consecutive hours after 7pm for 2-4 consecutive days around the 4th and New Year's even though those evenings fall on work/school nights.
Yeah, actually another person said they "literally" live in a war zone.

Not really sure what the people like me comment is about. I go to a local fair to watch fireworks. Or is that something that should be banned as well?

Old 07-06-2016, 12:01 AM

Quote:

Not really sure what the people like me comment is about. I go to a local fair to watch fireworks. Or is that something that should be banned as well?

Oh my bad... I thought you might have been my neighbor setting off firework explosions till midnight last night.

Fireworks at the local fair isn't quite the same thing as fireworks outside your back door at 11pm on a Monday night... at least to me it isn't. I went to the Mariners game to see the fireworks show and that was enough for me.

I didn't see a need to go out and drop $300 on fireworks so I could set them off for half the night keeping my neighbors awake.

As for banning fireworks for the general public... I'd say it's a good idea. Too many idiots out there who have maimed or killed themselves being stupid... and as someone else said they've banned toys and other items that have caused injuries or death. I don't see how fireworks are any different.

Leave the fireworks to the professionals IMHO. Maybe ask the parents of the teen who just lost his leg/fingers/eyesight to the sparkler bomb what they think too...

It can happen to anyone... just ask Jason Pierre-Paul of the NY Giants.

Old 07-06-2016, 12:17 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times
Quote:
As for banning fireworks for the general public... I'd say it's a good idea. Too many idiots out there who have maimed or killed themselves being stupid... and as someone else said they've banned toys and other items that have caused injuries or death. I don't see how fireworks are any different.

Leave the fireworks to the professionals IMHO. Maybe ask the parents of the teen who just lost his leg/fingers/eyesight to the sparkler bomb what they think too...

It can happen to anyone... just ask Jason Pierre-Paul of the NY Giants.
Yeah it can happen to anyone who disregards their own safety and acts like a complete idiot. The teen lost his leg, fingers, and possibly eyesight because he taped 180 sparklers together and lit them on fire as he stood over them. Jason Pierre-Paul lit a firework that he was holding. Thousands of people light fireworks each year without any incident. But because a few idiots make the news each year they should be banned from ever being used by anyone? I feel like this could relate to another hot topic in the news currently... fireworks don't kill people, people kill people? Or something like that...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events