Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2016, 02:05 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,988,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
Thank you! I don't get why some people have to suck the fun out of everything. I play it and nothing bad has happened because I pay attention.
There's fun and then there is moronic, the morons are the topic of discussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2016, 03:31 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,313,683 times
Quote:
So let me get this straight. People have been sitting on their butts crushing rows of cartoon candy for five years and nobody bats an eye. Game (Pokemon Go) makes people go and actually explore their neighborhoods, and maybe even meet new people in the process, and that's a problem to you? This game isn't the problem. Judgmental people like you are the problem.
How is someone totally self- (or phone-) absorbed going to "meet new people"? When they knock them over?

I was in Costco yesterday and I got body-slammed two times by people who were playing that game in the store. They ran right into me. I saw them coming and was trying to avoid them but there are only so many places one can move in Costco. What am I supposed to do? Yell, "Hey, doofus, get out of my way."

Old 07-15-2016, 03:55 PM

614 posts, read 1,237,269 times
Quote:
So let me get this straight. People have been sitting on their butts crushing rows of cartoon candy for five years and nobody bats an eye. Game (Pokemon Go) makes people go and actually explore their neighborhoods, and maybe even meet new people in the process, and that's a problem to you? This game isn't the problem. Judgmental people like you are the problem.
Are you actually tellng me these people who have been sitting on the 'butts' are actually going out and exploring the neighborhoods and enjoying the outdoors because of this game? No, they are going outside because it's required to play this game and catch these pokemons and that's it. And while they're outside, they don't pay mind to anything but their stupid phones which yes, I do have a problem with. Like the two people who fell off a cliff which uses tax payers dollars to go and rescue them. Or people who trespass and break into private property just so they can catch one. If you're telling yourself something else, you're fooling yourself. Call me judgmental all you want but if you're defending this, you're either one of them or you're a parent of one of them trying to make yourself feel better about your kids who are one of them.

Old 07-15-2016, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Fair enough I can agree there. But me and my friends are careful playing it, we don't play it in traffic, and we definitely don't play it while driving.
Oh I see now. You're one of them who have to play a fantasy game because the real life isn't fun enough? Dude, look up from the smart phone, tablet, computer and actually go out and enjoy what life has to offer that doesn't include accumulating points. Generations upon generations have been doing this long before technology and they had a blast.

Old 07-15-2016, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
My daughter and husband are out playing the game as I type. Seems like a lot of fun and reminds me of a ghost capturing game our kids used to play at the park with their friends probably six or seven years on my husband's smartphone. Can't remember the name of the app, but it was the same concept.
You needed an app on your husbands smart phone to have fun at a park with their friends? Do you not see what's inherently wrong with that?

Old 07-15-2016, 04:23 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,359,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcatheart View Post
You needed an app on your husbands smart phone to have fun at a park with their friends? Do you not see what's inherently wrong with that?
You can stop being condescending and judgemental now. The kids played lots of games together. The virtual ghost capturing game was just one of them. They would split up into teams at dusk, each with a parent's phone running the app, and compete to see which team could capture the most ghosts in a given time limit. They also played pick-up games of kickball/basketball/soccer, climbed on the jungle gym at the playground, raced their scooters, caught crawdads in the creek, and played flashlight tag while we parents chatted and watched them have fun. Sometimes we even ran around chasing ghosts with them and then we all settled in to roast marshmallows on the park grill. It was a freakin' Norman Rockwell painting, and I miss those days immensely now that all of them are nearly grown up.

Old 07-15-2016, 04:33 PM

Quote:
You can stop being condescending and judgemental now. The kids played lots of games together. The virtual ghost capturing game was just one of them. They would split up into teams at dusk, each with a parent's phone running the app, and compete to see which team could capture the most ghosts in a given time limit. They also played pick-up games of kickball/basketball/soccer, climbed on the jungle gym at the playground, raced their scooters, caught crawdads in the creek, and played flashlight tag while we parents chatted and watched them have fun. Sometimes we even ran around chasing ghosts with them and then we all settled in to roast marshmallows on the park grill. It was a freakin' Norman Rockwell painting, and I miss those days immensely now that all of them are nearly grown up.
Condescending/ judgemental aside, wasn't kickball/basketball/ soccer/ flashlight tag/jungle gym and all the other activities that didn't require a smart phone, wasn't that enough? What are we teaching kids theses days where they're in a park with other kids and you bust out a smart phone for some fun when fun is all around.

Old 07-15-2016, 04:36 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,359,835 times
It was a game! Do you also get your panties in a twist if the kids break out a Monopoly board, bikes, dress up clothes, or a stomp rocket to facilitate their play time?

Old 07-15-2016, 04:44 PM

Quote:
It was a game! Do you also get your panties in a twist if the kids break out a Monopoly board or a stomp rocket to facilitate their play time?
If they bust out monopoly on an iPad, then yes, I would get bent. I have no problem with and applaud any form of enjoyment that doesn't require a smart phone, iPad, computer, etc.

Why are you being obtuse cause you know exactly what I'm talking about!

Old 07-15-2016, 04:56 PM

I'm not saying technology doesn't have it's place, apparently, since I'm typing this on my iPad right now. But looking at my join date and small number of posts, y'all can see I'm not on it a lot. I'm a business owner who has lag times and it's great when I'm stuck indoors at work to browse around to kill time. But one thing for sure, I'd much rather put this iPad/smart phone down and do other things. I wished people didn't need a video game to go out and smell the roses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events