Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2016, 10:40 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,437,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
My thoughts exactly. This girl's choice is "brave," yet the other girl's choice is immature and selfish
Maybe people are thinking the difference here is that in one case the doctors are saying there is hope and in the other they are saying there is none.

For me, regardless of what the doctors are saying, I believe the choice to treat or not to treat should be up to the patient.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2016, 10:46 AM

22 posts, read 17,976 times
sad is an understatement

god bless this child

Old 07-17-2016, 11:12 AM

474 posts, read 318,136 times
Knowing that she will be the one left behind but not fighting this decision...what an enormous gift that mom is giving her daughter. I wish them both peace.

Old 07-17-2016, 03:00 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,099,640 times
I hope she can spend eternity in happiness dancing away and doing all the things her body wouldn't let her.

Heartbreaking.

Old 07-17-2016, 07:42 PM

8,452 posts, read 4,748,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
Here in Canada, our national Government has just been debating a bill that would allow for a person to choose when they can die..........If they are terminally ill or injured , and still capable mentally to make such a decision.

It will make it legal and acceptable for a Medical Doctor ( who agrees with the patient's wishes ) to assist. No religious arguments, no grandstanding by the antis. The bill has now been passed by committee and has been proclaimed as law.

That bill is now the law in all parts of Canada.

link. Liberals' assisted-dying bill is now law after clearing final hurdles - Politics - CBC News

Jim B.
Good for you. You must be very proud. If I thought you wouldn't think it beneath your dignity to eat one, I'd send you an American cookie.

Old 07-17-2016, 08:04 PM

35,018 posts, read 16,978,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Quote:
I want to point out that here in Canada, we have a system with a strong central government, that can and does enact laws that are national in scope .

One of many examples, in comparison with the US, is the fact of a single national criminal code, that covers the entire country. If it is a criminal offence in Nova Scotia, it is also a criminal offence in all other parts of the country. Compare that to the 50 separate State criminal codes , plus the Federal codes, and you have a all most hopeless mish mash of legal conflicts.
More like we have choices to go to states where we can get what we need. Nothing hopeless about it and only a mishmash to someone looking to bash the U.S. Again.
I'm with MPowering on this and will rep his post if I can. I am a New York-admitted attorney and wish to respond courteously.

In Canada there are areas in which the provinces have greater control that U.S. states:
  1. Amending formula - Effectively Ontario and Quebec have a hammerlock on amendments under the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms (the "Charter");
  2. Resources
  3. Some language policy (very limited state involvement here)
  4. Some immigration policy;
  5. Ability to nullify Charter provisions for extendable five year periods;
  6. Interprovincial tariffs (not legal between states) and
  7. Except for the NDP separate political parties
I am sure there are others. In the U.S., in general, states have jurisdiction over crimes. Federal criminal jurisdiction is limited to the "interstate" variety of crime. In short, the U.S. has a very different history from Canada. Except for Newfoundland and Labrador, all of Canada was within a British colonial province or owned by Hudson Bay Company and known as Rupert's Land or Northwest Territories (I know, Saskatchewan, Alberta, most of Manitoba, most of Ontario and most of Quebec eventually was hived off the Hudson Bay zones).

In the U.S there were major accessions to the U.S. that were not part of the 13 royal colonies, nor part of the original territories beyond those provinces. The Louisiana Purchase covered all of the drainage of the Mississippi and Missouri Rivers west of the Mississippi River. Florida, the Republic of Texas, Mexican territorial acquisitions in the Mexican-American War, the Gadsden Purchase and division of Oregon Country into BC (to Canada) and Oregon, Washington, Idaho and Montana west of the divide (to the U.S.) meant that there were differences in laws and governing structures that had to be accommodated (or, in the case of Louisiana with the French language and Utah with polygamy restricted).

I am an admirer of Canada; and of my own country.
Quote:
To the subject of this poor girl. I cannot for the life of me understand the objectors. It's her choice to make, let her make it.
On the merits I couldn't agree more.

Quote:
Here in Canada, our national Government has just been debating a bill that would allow for a person to choose when they can die..........If they are terminally ill or injured , and still capable mentally to make such a decision. It will make it legal and acceptable for a Medical Doctor ( who agrees with the patient's wishes ) to assist. No religious arguments, no grandstanding by the antis. The bill has now been passed by committee and has been proclaimed as law.
But how much "debate" is there really when a majority Prime Minister can both whip the vote (ensuring passage) and "elbow" (literally) the opposition?

Old 07-17-2016, 09:06 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,366,258 times
My roommate deals with chronic pain of varying levels from day to day. She went through a terrible period right before her second hip replacement where she was in excruciating agony for pretty much 24 hours a day and couldn't even sleep - she basically had no quality of life. It was awful. Thankfully, the surgery was successful, and she's functioning better than ever. But having seen that kind of physical suffering, I can understand why this girl would make the decision she's made. There's a point where you just don't have any quality of life and you can't even think straight - the things that normally would give you joy no longer hold appeal and all your thoughts and energy are spent on coping with the pain. How on earth could you look forward to anything when you know that the awful pain you feel will never go away?

I respect and support her decision and am so sorry she is suffering like this.

Old 07-17-2016, 11:36 PM

2,077 posts, read 2,016,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
There is a reason it's not.

Once it is passed, it will stay that way as a personal choice for a number of years.

Then it will become an standard of care option: If you have disease XYZ, you can have treatment A, treatment B, or you can take this pill and die.

Then, it will become standard of care: If you have disease XYZ, you take this pill and die, no treatment necessary.

Think it is far fetched? Think about it. It is the government -- not the medical community that is allowing it. It is a LAW that seems like a "choice."

Seriously, think about it.
Uhm no , it's legal in my state and the state next to mine and it is NOT like that .
Having said that I had an illness where I was unable to breathe on my own and I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy , EVER .

I had to have help breathing like this young lady and suffocating is no way to go and I hope more than anything she is HEAVILY sedated to the point of sleep by Hospice before they do this .

It's things like this when I REALLY question "God".

Old 07-18-2016, 07:01 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,938,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post

Seriously. This slippery-slope nonsense is just that. It's like saying that lowering the speed limit to 55 mph was inevitably going to lead to a 1 mph speed limit, or that any taxation at all will inevitably lead to confiscation of all earnings. Not only is it not logical, it has demonstrably been shown and over and over that the slippery slope fallacy is called a fallacy for a reason.

Give it up already.
Except that this type of slope is already being seen in medical care. My post is based on actual factual evidence. Open your eyes. You can be prescribed drugs WITHOUT A DIAGNOSIS, guidelines no longer call for a diagnosis.

Old 07-19-2016, 07:44 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,437,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
There is a reason it's not.

Once it is passed, it will stay that way as a personal choice for a number of years.

Then it will become an standard of care option: If you have disease XYZ, you can have treatment A, treatment B, or you can take this pill and die.

Then, it will become standard of care: If you have disease XYZ, you take this pill and die, no treatment necessary.

Think it is far fetched? Think about it. It is the government -- not the medical community that is allowing it. It is a LAW that seems like a "choice."

Seriously, think about it.
You never answered my question as to whether or not you have ever known anyone in this situation. What you hypothisize has not taken place in the states where people are legally allowed to choose their passing due to severe illness and suffering.

Why not study these real situations rather than speculate about them? Seriously, think about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events