Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 01:12 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,484,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnTrips View Post
"I think those who make fun of disabled people are scumbags. Finding humor in that is disgusting and ignorant. But I support people's right to free speech so I don't agree with this ruling."

Agreed. Another reason I'm glad I'm not Canadian. Besides the weather and the food.
And one more reason why we're also glad you're not a Canadian. We don't want anyone here who delights in bullying the weak and defenceless under the guise of 'speech freedom'.

As for the weather and food. The weather ain't for wusses and we are healthier and live longer for various reasons. Not chowing down the stuff Americans have made Golden Corrals famous for probably chief among them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2016, 02:29 PM

3,366 posts, read 1,605,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
So it's fine to call your mother a **** ******* *****, for a few dollars?

How about a comedy skit about having sex with 5 year olds? -I guess that's okay as well?
Do you not understand the concept?

Old 07-23-2016, 02:44 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,667,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo302 View Post
Do you not understand the concept?
Sure-freedom of speech isn't much different in the US as most other western countries -that is to say, that you only have the freedom that the law allows, so not really freedom at all.

It's another poster who is struggling with the concept. I used my examples to point out the error of their thinking.

Last edited by Joe90; 07-23-2016 at 03:01 PM..

Old 07-23-2016, 03:18 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
Quote:
So it's fine to call your mother a **** ******* *****, for a few dollars?

How about a comedy skit about having sex with 5 year olds? -I guess that's okay as well?
The way freedom works (vs. the authoritarian tyranny/utopia you espose) is that decent people would not patronise a comedian making jokes about sex with 5 year olds, thus such an act would not exist since the vast majority of people are decent.

As far as making jokes about the attractiveness of the disabled, such a comedian will not amuse many people, thus he will become a marginal act at best.

No need to charge him $42,000 ****ing dollars, money that will go into a coffer earmarked for some bull**** that likely doesn't help the disabled anyway.

Old 07-23-2016, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
The way freedom works (vs. the authoritarian tyranny/utopia you espose) is that decent people would not patronise a comedian making jokes about sex with 5 year olds, thus such an act would not exist since the vast majority of people are decent.

As far as making jokes about the attractiveness of the disabled, such a comedian will not amuse many people, thus he will become a marginal act at best.

No need to charge him $42,000 ****ing dollars, money that will go into a coffer earmarked for some bull**** that likely doesn't help the disabled anyway.
So you agree that comedy clubs charging money for jokes about sex with 5 years, should be able to operate if they get the patronage?

Old 07-23-2016, 03:27 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,484,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
It is Canada. And there's no "free speech" there.
Why not make an effort o educate yourself before spouting crappola you know nothing about!

Here; let me help you a tad:

http://scholarship.law.duke.edu/cgi/...20&context=lcp

The laws are so similar you'd be hard pressed to drive a sliver between them yet you come out with the adjective "no".

You should realize that more than one impartial agency has rated freedom of the press in the USA as "lesser" than Canada's. If you don't have freedom of the press, you can take your 'freedom of speech' nonsense and with fifty cents you still wont be able to pay for a coffee.

Old 07-23-2016, 07:13 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSchoolols View Post
Jeremy Gabriel is 19. When did this event occur? I couldn't tell from the article.

From the article:

The jokes revolved around Gabriel's visit with the pope in 2006, which Ward first addressed in his 2010 act.
So he was making fun of a 13 year old for a trip he took when he was 9.

Old 07-23-2016, 07:15 PM

254 posts, read 193,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
And one more reason why we're also glad you're not a Canadian. We don't want anyone here who delights in bullying the weak and defenceless under the guise of 'speech freedom'.

As for the weather and food. The weather ain't for wusses and we are healthier and live longer for various reasons. Not chowing down the stuff Americans have made Golden Corrals famous for probably chief among them.
Notice how the Canadian guy says they don't want anyone who bullies the weak and then says that Canada is not for wusses?

That self-defeating logic is a reflection of the liberalization of Canada. We see it in many western countries these days, where there's a thin veneer of hypocritical political correctness slathered over reality. For example, name any ultra-liberal city in America you want. Let's say, New York City. Oddly, they love bragging about how tough and gritty and no-nonsense they are. If you can make it there, you can make it anywhere, right? If you walk too slowly, you'll get cursed out and if you're an out-of-towner expect to be derided. And yet simultaneously they'll strain themselves into knots to show how liberal and tolerant they are, where the same guy who just called you three curse words will also lecture you for ten hours about not using the word "ret**d," which I edited because I have no idea whether that's allowed here. It's really preposterous.

Old 07-23-2016, 07:43 PM

1,425 posts, read 1,386,473 times
Quote:
Yes me, If it concerns someone making money by publicly calling me ugly, then I will decide, either through the courts, or with a baseball bat.
How about a vote? What if somebody is truly ugly? The word ugly was invented and widely used until recently, do you mean all ugly has disappeared from the world suddenly? Or people just became too touchy-feely simultaneously with a desire to self-exposure, even when they are really ugly? Like 0.5 tons dames in pink pajama pants and t-shirts too short to cover their fat?

Old 07-23-2016, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyMeAK View Post
How about a vote? What if somebody is truly ugly? The word ugly was invented and widely used until recently, do you mean all ugly has disappeared from the world suddenly? Or people just became too touchy-feely simultaneously with a desire to self-exposure, even when they are really ugly? Like 0.5 tons dames in pink pajama pants and t-shirts too short to cover their fat?
0.5 ton dames is quite different to a 9 year old kid who is specifically identified ..... and for the sole purpose of making money. Although I'm guessing many comics would regard it as art.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events