Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2016, 01:45 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I was just sharing my impression. When first reading it I saw her as the devil and as I thought about it I realized there might be some shades of grey in there.

How do you know she is on welfare or the reason why she isn't married to her boyfriend?

Chances are very good she is. The trick is to have kids but not be married. If they get married than there is less financial help from the govt. The more kids you have, the benefits increase.

This has been going on for years.

Read an article on her just now. She is 25 already has 3 kids, doesn't seem to work, lives in a trailer, and has a history with the police. So no visible means of income, someone is paying her way. Oh, and she is pregnant again.....sigh.

So I am going to roll the dice and say she receives welfare and EBT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2016, 04:22 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,877,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Chances are very good she is. The trick is to have kids but not be married. If they get married than there is less financial help from the govt. The more kids you have, the benefits increase.

This has been going on for years.

Read an article on her just now. She is 25 already has 3 kids, doesn't seem to work, lives in a trailer, and has a history with the police. So no visible means of income, someone is paying her way. Oh, and she is pregnant again.....sigh.

So I am going to roll the dice and say she receives welfare and EBT.
clearly you have never been graced by life on welfare. You are so right, it is just a fantastic way to live. Super fun.

Old 08-02-2016, 08:47 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
clearly you have never been graced by life on welfare. You are so right, it is just a fantastic way to live. Super fun.
I guess you're not aware people abuse of the system. You see there is no reason she should be on welfare in the first place, is she disabled? No, she is not. She chose to keep popping out kids, she is 25 and is having a fourth now. Not a case of someone who lost their job and fell on hard times.

I have no issue with someone who really needs help, I do object to people who keep having kids they can't afford and expects the taxpayer to pay their way.

Old 08-02-2016, 11:19 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,486,602 times
They should 'Wisk' that mother to jail!

Old 08-02-2016, 11:28 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,486,602 times
This is shockingly more common that you would think, especially with the "trashy" crowd. A quick search of the internet for 'baby in a washing machine' turned up so many more separate incidents than I ever expected...including this one caught in action...

Old 08-03-2016, 01:03 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
And the last line of the story, writing about the mother: "Haney is expected to have another baby next month."

Sometimes all you want to do is scream.
Wait. The mother has been taking tranquilizers regularly while pregnant?

Old 08-03-2016, 01:37 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,108,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
I guess you're not aware people abuse of the system. You see there is no reason she should be on welfare in the first place, is she disabled? No, she is not. She chose to keep popping out kids, she is 25 and is having a fourth now. Not a case of someone who lost their job and fell on hard times.

I have no issue with someone who really needs help, I do object to people who keep having kids they can't afford and expects the taxpayer to pay their way.
Unfortunately, that's the way the system is set up. I know a person who lost their job and had their eighteen year old son living with them. When she applied for Medicaid, the worker asked if she was pregnant and was told "God No!" ( you know because that is a very irresponsible thing to do when you are broke ) she was told that was unfortunate since it meant no cash aid.

Old 08-03-2016, 01:37 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post
I am confused how a 3 yr old managed to climb into a washer. Maybe she was playing hide and seek. My 18 month old nephews are aware of dangerous situation on their own. they cautiously take small step in uneven surface & when going up/down stairs. If 18 months old can understand safe vs. unsafe situation, wouldn't 3 year old be pro at it. again unless she was playing. My washer is not deep enough for a 3 year old

Feel bad for the family and the girl.
One only knows as far as they know. One only has to read autoerotic asphyxiation (or Darwin awards) cases to understand that. For example, in the case of one where the man had his fantasy underwater where his intake and exhaust was provided by a long snorkel system. What he didn't know is that the snorkel system was inefficient for the safe exhaust of his breathing out, resulting in the dilution of the air he took in. He passed out which lead to his death. In another case, the man put himself in a metal trash can, knees against his chest, and had a loop of wire to pull the can over so he could escape when he was done. What he didn't know was that like that, the center of gravity was lower in the can and it was impossible to pull the can over. He sank lower and lower in the can and eventually died from compression asphyxiation.

The above cases probably demonstrates the folly of human observation in that we see things work in one situation, such as breathing off a snorkel when swimming, and believe it must work in all situations. We don't appreciate or understand the limits of situations.

If adults can put themselves in such situations believing that they won't die because of it, is it really so surprising when it happens to children?

Old 08-03-2016, 01:41 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,108,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
This is shockingly more common that you would think, especially with the "trashy" crowd. A quick search of the internet for 'baby in a washing machine' turned up so many more separate incidents than I ever expected...including this one caught in action...

There's a shortage of a lot of things in this world. Stupid people ain't one of them.

Old 08-03-2016, 09:45 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,943,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Absolutely sickening, this 'mother' had no business with these children, a total failure of the system.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...-was-arrested/
A total failure of the Mother, not the system. Children are raised by their parents not the system.

Why this happened started a long time ago, before this incident. It had nothing to do with any system either.

Now, if you imply that the system is the coddling of people, the lack of individual responsibility and the nanny state, sure, the system failed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events