Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2016, 09:52 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,743,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
Probably not. Stuff like this happened all the time in my last years of elementary were the teacher basically refused to let kids go to the restroom.

I tell my girls that if they need to go to the washroom and can't hold then they can go and I don't care what the teacher says! If they are refused to go, then I will take that up with the school. I can seen if the child is abusing getting out of class all the time and doesn't really need to use the washroom, but to make a child hold it is ridiculous and can actually cause health problems. That teacher should be fired!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2016, 09:58 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,743,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
By the time a kid reaches middle school, he should be potty trained.

The parents sound as if they're clueless and haven't instructed their kid on toilet techniques.

An old quote applies here:

"The wise man takes a leak whenever the opportunity presents itself. The fool waits until he has to go."

This little bit of wisdom should be required learning for all school age kids.

Did you read the article? I'm sure the child is potty trained, but I don't care how old you are, you can only hold it in so long! The child was refused to go to the washroom and could no longer hold it in! Has nothing to do with potty training or age.

In my opinion the kid should have just left the class and went to the washroom anyway. I tell my kids if they need to go, go! I don't care what the teacher says.

Old 10-31-2016, 10:00 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,479,600 times
The parents should be instructing their children to violate any authority figure who denies them a needed trip to the bathroom. This battle belongs to the parent, not the child.

Using the restroom is a human need. Nobody -- not a teacher, not an airline, not a business -- has the right to deny us that need.

Old 10-31-2016, 10:23 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,860,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Blish

The teacher sounds as if she has no care for her student's wellbeing.
No and then they get mad cause they have accidents..... WHAT DO THEY EXPECT??

Old 10-31-2016, 10:49 AM

50,874 posts, read 24,384,032 times
Let me tell you 2 different stories that may illustrate the problem.

Story 1 happened to me as a teacher: I taught junior high/middle school. My rule was that each kid could get a bathroom pass up to 5 times a quarter. One girl asked for the bathroom pass daily. When I finally questioned it, she said, "I'm having my period". Well, I let her go. And then everyday for the next 9 weeks she said she was having her period. Finally I called the mother in for a conference. The mother stormed in accusing me of being cruel to not let her daughter "ever" have a bathroom pass. I said, "Ma'am, I think you need to take your daughter to a doctor." "Why?" "Well, as a man I don't know much about these things, but I'm guessing there's something wrong when a girl is having her period 48 days in a row." "What are you talking about?" And I told her that her daughter had been using that excuse daily for 9 full weeks. End of conference.

Story 2 happened to a colleague. A girl asked to go to the bathroom, and the teacher said, "Just wait about 5 minutes until I finish this part of the lesson." Minutes later the trickling began. The girl was in tears. The teacher was in tears.

Once I became an administrator, my rule was that in an emergency, a child should walk out of class even if denied a bathroom pass by a teacher...but it better be a rare occurrence. And I also told my teachers to heed the 2 examples I gave above, and reminded them that sometimes they would call up to the office for some quick relief so that they could use the restroom during class.

Old 10-31-2016, 10:51 AM

1,350 posts, read 1,368,367 times
How does having your kid's name in the media all over the world for wetting his pants make things any better for him? This will now be on the internet for the rest of his life.

I don't understand some parents' need to broadcast their or their kid's "victimhood" to all audiences regardless of collateral damage. In a saner time, the parents and the teacher/administration would've had a meeting and talked this out and moved on without notifying the whole world that so-and-so wet their pants because their teacher is mean.

Old 10-31-2016, 11:08 AM

12,883 posts, read 14,001,616 times
The best part about college was being told we no longer had to raise our hand and ask to use the bathroom but could just get up and go.

Old 10-31-2016, 11:11 AM

9,189 posts, read 7,606,549 times
Parents should tell their kids, if they really need to go and can't hold it, then they should run to the restroom and use it whether the teacher said it was okay or not. Better than having an accident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post

Story 1 happened to me as a teacher: I taught junior high/middle school. My rule was that each kid could get a bathroom pass up to 5 times a quarter. One girl asked for the bathroom pass daily. When I finally questioned it, she said, "I'm having my period". Well, I let her go. And then everyday for the next 9 weeks she said she was having her period. Finally I called the mother in for a conference. The mother stormed in accusing me of being cruel to not let her daughter "ever" have a bathroom pass. I said, "Ma'am, I think you need to take your daughter to a doctor." "Why?" "Well, as a man I don't know much about these things, but I'm guessing there's something wrong when a girl is having her period 48 days in a row." "What are you talking about?" And I told her that her daughter had been using that excuse daily for 9 full weeks. End of conference.

lol

Old 10-31-2016, 11:24 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,736,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Did the child have a medical condition?
Having to drain your bladder IS a "medical condition".

Old 10-31-2016, 11:30 AM

45,444 posts, read 60,653,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post

Story 2 happened to a colleague. A girl asked to go to the bathroom, and the teacher said, "Just wait about 5 minutes until I finish this part of the lesson." Minutes later the trickling began. The girl was in tears. The teacher was in tears.

Once I became an administrator, my rule was that in an emergency, a child should walk out of class even if denied a bathroom pass by a teacher...but it better be a rare occurrence. And I also told my teachers to heed the 2 examples I gave above, and reminded them that sometimes they would call up to the office for some quick relief so that they could use the restroom during class.
We had a teacher who was suspended without pay for five days for allowing a student to go the restroom. She was subsequently caught fellating the basketball team (just the starting 5), 3rd time. She was on a no pass list which had not been distributed to the staff. He did get his pay back after a year long grievance process.

I had a girl who was on a no pass list walk out to the bathroom. I followed the procedure and wrote her up.

No problem except when the parents came in the Vice Principal said the no pass list, it was his by the way, was not really enforceable.

I didn't trust him much after that. He was the one who would go into classrooms and berate teachers in front of the class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events