Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2016, 05:33 PM

45,344 posts, read 60,522,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Sugared drinks dispensed at schools? Maybe in the eighties (I bought Coca-cola from the student run snack bar), but not today!
Now it's water, sugar free soft drinks and tea and Powerade. Vending machines are too much of a profit center for the schools to get rid of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2016, 05:59 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,527,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
Did you read the article?
Did you?
Quote:
I'm sure the child is potty trained, but I don't care how old you are, you can only hold it in so long! The child was refused to go to the washroom and could no longer hold it in! Has nothing to do with potty training or age.
That's why it's wise to take a leak before class starts. It's middle school, not kindergarten. They get plenty of break time between classes.

Quote:
In my opinion the kid should have just left the class and went to the washroom anyway.
Get a teaching certificate. Manage a classroom.

Show 'em how it's done.

Quote:
I tell my kids if they need to go, go! I don't care what the teacher says.
I told my kids to take a leak when the opportunity presents itself.

They never had a problem.

Neither did I.

Neither did any of the kids I went to school with. Nobody peed their britches.

It's not hard.

As active classroom teachers have pointed out in this thread, kids (especially teens) will abuse restroom passes.

Bladder control is just part of growing up. Kids who don't learn it at home have to learn it somewhere and the earlier, the better. Life takes place in between potty breaks.

Old 10-31-2016, 06:04 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,359,835 times
I asked my kids if this had ever happened to them, and they said the only time students are denied a trip to the bathroom is during a test. Otherwise, they are free to go as needed. No hall passes required, even in when they were in middle school.

Old 10-31-2016, 06:19 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,468,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I asked my kids if this had ever happened to them, and they said the only time students are denied a trip to the bathroom is during a test. Otherwise, they are free to go as needed. No hall passes required, even in when they were in middle school.
Same here. And it was the same when I went to school.

The schools are being lazy. Instead of denying a bathroom visit to a kid who needs it, administration needs to solve the real problem of "wandering students". Maybe they should advertise for volunteer hall monitors or something. I'm sure they could find some senior retirees who enjoy walking the halls.

Old 10-31-2016, 07:29 PM

7,736 posts, read 4,985,635 times
Happened to my son in after school care. He ended up peeing in his pants because they wouldn't let him go to the bathroom. He is 7. I marched in there th every next day and raised hell. It has not happened since.

Old 10-31-2016, 11:27 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,885,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Blish View Post
Student has accident in class after teacher says he can't go to restroom - Story

"A Schofield middle schooler says he wet himself after his teacher told him he could not step out to use the restroom. Erik Orozcu’s parents are just beside themselves that this happened to their son."

The teacher sounds as if she has no care for her student's wellbeing.
I work in a high school. Last year there were at the very least two girls who would use the bathroom at the same time (one would go and text the other to meet her) and spend oh 20+ minutes BSing. In light of this, the school somewhat altered their bathroom policy for this year in the student handbook. But the counter-point is that I had a special ed student who runs need to use the bathroom oh Thursday and he ran after using it. I spoke to a SPED coach who wanted me to block him after this and said "Well, we can't deny kids the bathroom" and he nodded in agreement to it despite him knowing it would happen.

The problem is despite security in the schools, bathrooms can EASILY be abused. There's no true fix to it because you may have that one day when the student has problems going despite going continually say third hour.

FYI, 4/5 minutes between classes aren't EXACTLY the quickest to do your business when you walk to/from classes. I would go if I were close or didn't have to change rooms honestly because most of my high school classes were far except for a few here and there that used the same rooms.

Old 11-01-2016, 01:13 AM

8,219 posts, read 3,483,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Let me tell you 2 different stories that may illustrate the problem.

Story 1 happened to me as a teacher: I taught junior high/middle school. My rule was that each kid could get a bathroom pass up to 5 times a quarter. One girl asked for the bathroom pass daily. When I finally questioned it, she said, "I'm having my period". Well, I let her go. And then everyday for the next 9 weeks she said she was having her period. Finally I called the mother in for a conference. The mother stormed in accusing me of being cruel to not let her daughter "ever" have a bathroom pass. I said, "Ma'am, I think you need to take your daughter to a doctor." "Why?" "Well, as a man I don't know much about these things, but I'm guessing there's something wrong when a girl is having her period 48 days in a row." "What are you talking about?" And I told her that her daughter had been using that excuse daily for 9 full weeks. End of conference.

Story 2 happened to a colleague. A girl asked to go to the bathroom, and the teacher said, "Just wait about 5 minutes until I finish this part of the lesson." Minutes later the trickling began. The girl was in tears. The teacher was in tears.

Once I became an administrator, my rule was that in an emergency, a child should walk out of class even if denied a bathroom pass by a teacher...but it better be a rare occurrence. And I also told my teachers to heed the 2 examples I gave above, and reminded them that sometimes they would call up to the office for some quick relief so that they could use the restroom during class.
There are some girls that bleed all the time. They sometimes have to have a hysterectomy while they're still young.

Old 11-01-2016, 01:15 AM

8,219 posts, read 3,483,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagster View Post
It's odd that kids today will not hesitate to physically assault a teacher, but are afraid to walk out of class to take a leak.
Only a handful would attack a teacher. Most are still somewhat civilized.

Old 11-01-2016, 02:33 AM

32,924 posts, read 36,329,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
But not being able to hold it? There are times in life when you are not going to be able to use/find a bathroom, and will need to wait. Unless there was a medical condition, having to wait 20-30 minutes to use the restroom should not result in a middle school student having an accident.
Yes, it could. You've never had to go in a hurry?

Old 11-01-2016, 02:35 AM

32,924 posts, read 36,329,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
If this is that big of a deal in schools then they need to install a single restroom in every classroom. Denying a student the right to void his bowel or bladder for any reason is and should be treated as abusive.
My son's kindergarten class had those. Solved a lot of problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events