Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2016, 12:31 PM

224 posts, read 311,227 times

Advertisements

One thing that I'm surprised that no one has mentioned is the psychological effect this may have on the child.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2016, 12:37 PM

32,953 posts, read 36,412,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
It occurs to me that:

The average parent often has trouble managing one kid successfully at all times, yet some of you expect a school to manage 1,000 students successfully at all times.

The average parent thinks their kid would never do anything significantly wrong...that it's always someone else's kid doing the bad stuff.

Time yourself. You have 4 minutes to take a dump and walk half a block.

To be honest, I think some of you have had a lobotomy and have forgotten your own days in school.
Managing one kid. Sometimes that happens, especially when you have a hyper kid.

I didn't think my kid was going to do anything wrong? After listening to my mother tell me about her brothers, and watching my three siblings, I was waiting for it to happen.

Damned if you do, and damned if you don't. A lot of stuff happens in school bathrooms. When I went to school, gangs ruled there and decided whether or not you could use the toilet. The girls weren't too bad. The boys used to break a lot of porcelain.

Old 11-05-2016, 12:44 PM

32,953 posts, read 36,412,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
That's gross and unsanitary. Today, the school district would bring in port-a-potties.
I'm trying to figure out how the girls could pee out of the window.

Old 11-05-2016, 07:41 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,258,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Blish View Post
Student has accident in class after teacher says he can't go to restroom - Story

"A Schofield middle schooler says he wet himself after his teacher told him he could not step out to use the restroom. Erik Orozcuā€™s parents are just beside themselves that this happened to their son."

The teacher sounds as if she has no care for her student's wellbeing.

Oh man, in the 1950s there were many "accidents" because the teacher wouldn't let the kiddos leave the room.

I recall one kiddo at 1pm who raised his hand to ask permission and the teacher said "You should've taken care of that stuff during the lunch period."

Old 11-06-2016, 08:00 AM

50,889 posts, read 24,393,171 times
Perhaps teachers (and I was one) ought to have to ask the principal (and I was one) for permission to go to the restroom except during class passing times for a month. I wonder if that would change a few attitudes.

Old 11-06-2016, 10:24 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,680,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Blish View Post
One thing that I'm surprised that no one has mentioned is the psychological effect this may have on the child.
Not clear if you're referring to the fact that the boy wet his pants or that his parents went to the media and made a much bigger deal of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
Oh man, in the 1950s there were many "accidents" because the teacher wouldn't let the kiddos leave the room.

I recall one kiddo at 1pm who raised his hand to ask permission and the teacher said "You should've taken care of that stuff during the lunch period."
I never remember any accidents like this the entire time I was in school. I think I may have heard some stories about a kid in kindergarten but it never happened in any of my classes. Looking back, my elementary school schedule meant this was unlikely to occur. We started at 9:00AM and went until 11:20AM. Most of us walked home for lunch and had to be back at 1:00PM. We then got out at 3:20. We had a restroom break in the morning and afternoon. Assuming a student went to the restroom when they had the opportunity, they would've only had to hold it approx. 70 minutes or so.

Quote:
Perhaps teachers (and I was one) ought to have to ask the principal (and I was one) for permission to go to the restroom except during class passing times for a month. I wonder if that would change a few attitudes.
When else do teachers go to the restroom other than their planning period or lunch? I recently did a long term sub job at a high school where the time between classes was three minutes. My room was at least 70 yards from the restroom, and I had to negotiate the students moving between classes to get to the restroom and back. It was difficult to get to the restroom and back before the bell rang but I had no other option.

I have heard of some secondary schools where teachers are not allowed to leave their rooms unattended between classes. I've also noticed some teachers who have a rule that students are not allowed to enter the room if the teacher is not in the room.

Old 11-06-2016, 03:38 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,149,616 times
Yeah, I had a lot of power-trippy teachers that wouldn't let us use the washroom or even drink water. I always just walked out the class and did what I needed to anyway. What were they going to do? Expel me for using the toilet?

My parents got enough of these phone calls from the school and my mother finally told them to please not waste her time calling over something so trivial.

Old 11-06-2016, 04:17 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,035,972 times
Quote:
Were you a teacher somewhere that let you use the restroom whenever you wanted, leaving your students unattended?

Old 11-06-2016, 06:05 PM

8,250 posts, read 3,503,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Were you a teacher somewhere that let you use the restroom whenever you wanted, leaving your students unattended?
When I was in school the teachers left the room and went wherever and came back.

Old 11-06-2016, 07:18 PM

50,889 posts, read 24,393,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post

When else do teachers go to the restroom other than their planning period or lunch? I recently did a long term sub job at a high school where the time between classes was three minutes. My room was at least 70 yards from the restroom, and I had to negotiate the students moving between classes to get to the restroom and back. It was difficult to get to the restroom and back before the bell rang but I had no other option.

I have heard of some secondary schools where teachers are not allowed to leave their rooms unattended between classes. I've also noticed some teachers who have a rule that students are not allowed to enter the room if the teacher is not in the room.
Sorry you missed the point...which is that yes, their job is restrictive...but no more restrictive than school is for kids. AND they don't have to ask someone for permission to go potty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events