Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2016, 07:19 PM

50,884 posts, read 24,393,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Were you a teacher somewhere that let you use the restroom whenever you wanted, leaving your students unattended?
Duh. The point being I didn't have to ask for permission to go potty. Why should someone be told, "No, you can't go to the bathroom"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2016, 07:32 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,035,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Duh. The point being I didn't have to ask for permission to go potty. Why should someone be told, "No, you can't go to the bathroom"?
Uh.. Because you are responsible for the well being of 20+ children and you can't just leave them unattended whenever you feel like it.

Old 11-06-2016, 07:36 PM

6,798 posts, read 2,918,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Blish View Post
One thing that I'm surprised that no one has mentioned is the psychological effect this may have on the child.
So am I. To be mentally scarred by 'something' is the 'in thing' in today's dumb world. After all, the thousands of psychologists that are churned out of universities almost to the extent of McDonalds' hamburgers need people with these kinds of 'psychological effects' to justify their own existence.

Yay to 'mental scarring'! Yay to psychologists who charge $150/200 an hour to fix 'the problem'!

AS the British might say, "What a load of tosh!"

Old 11-06-2016, 07:45 PM

6,798 posts, read 2,918,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi
Quote:
Uh.. Because you are responsible for the well being of 20+ children and you can't just leave them unattended whenever you feel like it.

How did those of us over 50 ever make it to 2016 unscathed by teacher having left us to our own devices for 5 minutes...?

Topics such as this one lead me more and more to the realization that we as a people are doomed.

Old 11-06-2016, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
How did those of us over 50 ever make it to 2016 unscathed by teacher having left us to our own devices for 5 minutes...?
I guess you also believe first responders should also be able to just leave and use the restroom whenever they want. Who cares if a building is on fire, or someone is dying, people shouldn't be expected to wait more then 1 minute to empty their bladder. Screw the responsibilities of one's job.

Old 11-06-2016, 08:41 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,969,573 times
Quote:
I guess you also believe first responders should also be able to just leave and use the restroom whenever they want. Who cares if a building is on fire, or someone is dying, people shouldn't be expected to wait more then 1 minute to empty their bladder. Screw the responsibilities of one's job.
That's a bit of a stretch from teachers who leave perfectly safe children for a couple minutes to allowing someone to go, "Nope, can't do CPR gotta pee."

Old 11-06-2016, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severs View Post
That's a bit of a stretch from teachers who leave perfectly safe children for a couple minutes to allowing someone to go, "Nope, can't do CPR gotta pee."
But if teachers are allowed to ignore their job duties, why not others?

Old 11-06-2016, 09:37 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,504,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Did you?

That's why it's wise to take a leak before class starts. It's middle school, not kindergarten. They get plenty of break time between classes.

Get a teaching certificate. Manage a classroom.

Show 'em how it's done.

I told my kids to take a leak when the opportunity presents itself.

They never had a problem.

Neither did I.

Neither did any of the kids I went to school with. Nobody peed their britches.

It's not hard.

As active classroom teachers have pointed out in this thread, kids (especially teens) will abuse restroom passes.

Bladder control is just part of growing up. Kids who don't learn it at home have to learn it somewhere and the earlier, the better. Life takes place in between potty breaks.
How about this old fashioned saying

"when you got to go, you got to go"....

Old 11-06-2016, 09:48 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,504,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Cut throat?

If a kid needs to go so badly, then he obviously should have used the restroom before he went to class.

This isn't advanced, arcane stuff.
Well obviously...however, if your kid/s....like most normal kids, forgot to use the bathroom before class, maybe because he at the time didn't think he needed to, and had to take a leak really really bad 45 minutes later....would you be ok with his or her teacher tell him - NO?
If you got to go you got to go. It's doesn't have to be that complicated. Just imagine if your boss told you you couldn't go to the bathroom.

Old 11-07-2016, 12:16 AM

10,115 posts, read 19,420,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
What's going on really is every incident everywhere is reported as news these days.

Practically speaking, this teacher should be made aware that there isn't enough time between classes to hit the restrooms and the students should be empowered enough to get up and go when nature calls BEFORE this type of thing happens.

The same thing happened to my son. He was refused "permission" to use the bathroom in 3rd grade and wet himself. He never got over the humiliation of that incident.

Moderator cut: .

My son experienced so much anxiety over the fear of another accident in school he developed anxiety issues, along with difficulty paying attention---ie ADD?---fearing an accident. We went through all sorts of nonsense, including counseling, ARD meetings, parent-teacher meetings, etc, etc doctor notes, visits to urologists, etc. Finally I got sick of it. I looked at him one day. He was the size of a grown man, 6.5, 240 pounds, on wrestling, football......only to be reduced to a quivering mass for want of a hall pass. I told him if he needed to go, just go! Walk out of the class. Do what you need to and come back as quickly and unobtrusively as possible. That disrupts the class less than begging for a hall pass, being told to wait, then everyone is aware of his distress, while he suffers embarrassment, etc. We told him in the "real world" Dad doesn't beg to go potty. If in a meeting or wherever and nature calls, he just leaves. I told him I would back him up if the teacher didn't like it, even if it meant getting an attorney.

Schools are run like prisons in many cases

Last edited by toosie; 11-07-2016 at 03:59 AM.. Reason: off topic and TMI
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events