Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 10:09 AM

7,068 posts, read 6,479,232 times

Advertisements

Steve Martin deletes Twitter tribute to Carrie Fisher after backlash | Fox News

"On Tuesday, the comic wrote in a since-deleted tweet, "When I was a young man, Carrie Fisher was the most beautiful creature I had ever seen. She turned out to be witty and bright as well.""

Now I know we live in an ultra PC world so this is to be expected by the word/thought police and that's their right of course to be worked up over someone calling another good looking and smart. I think the bottom line reality here is when one decides to be an actor or actress or in the public eye, they will be judged by looks and beyond. That's the reality here of being in/when one chooses to be in show business...one will be judged by their looks and beyond, big time. And we all do such judging. It just appears some are more self righteous about it all and in my view some are unfairly criticizing Steve Martin. Some people really need to lighten up.

Last edited by stevek64; 12-28-2016 at 11:36 AM..

Old 12-28-2016, 10:35 AM

3,929 posts, read 2,957,987 times
There is absolutely nothing offensive about his tweet. It was very sweet. People are and will forever continue to be morons!

Old 12-28-2016, 10:54 AM

2,837 posts, read 2,699,867 times
I honestly do not see this as being offensive.

The PC Shuffle has struck again.

"When I was a young man, Carrie Fisher was the most beautiful creature I had ever seen. She turned out to be witty and bright as well." by Steve Martin.

Old 12-28-2016, 11:05 AM

16,427 posts, read 12,542,948 times
What I don't like about the comment is that you'd never hear (or read) the same thing said about a guy. Because it's never surprising to find out that looks and smarts can co-exist in the same guy. But for some reason, it seems surprising when talking about a woman.

It also shows that he didn't really know her very well (or didn't really pay attention to her) since she long spoke out against sexualization and objectification. I know his heart was in the right place, but Carrie wouldn't really have appreciated the comment. Of course, she would have said something in response that was biting and witty while at the same time gracious.

Old 12-28-2016, 11:07 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,906,923 times
I thought it was sweet. I'm not even conservative, and I think the negative reaction is ridiculous. He was sharing his first reaction to seeing her, and amended it to include what he found out when he got to know her.

Old 12-28-2016, 11:45 AM

32,960 posts, read 36,433,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
What I don't like about the comment is that you'd never hear (or read) the same thing said about a guy. Because it's never surprising to find out that looks and smarts can co-exist in the same guy. But for some reason, it seems surprising when talking about a woman.

It also shows that he didn't really know her very well (or didn't really pay attention to her) since she long spoke out against sexualization and objectification. I know his heart was in the right place, but Carrie wouldn't really have appreciated the comment. Of course, she would have said something in response that was biting and witty while at the same time gracious.
No? I might say something like that. I know a good looking guy when I see one.

Old 12-28-2016, 11:50 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,066,929 times
He wrote nothing wrong.

There are just those who can't wait to say they're 'offended'. Good grief!!! For some reason they believe they can get into the minds of other people and tell us exactly what they were thinking. Ludicrous!!!

Old 12-28-2016, 12:16 PM

2,046 posts, read 3,359,608 times
Who was offended? Very sad.

I consider myself a strong, independent woman: a feminist - even tho not since birth, and definitely a liberal. I HAD to become strong - kind of before it was popular.

With that said, i can't imagine what's wrong with the Tweet. He didn't say one thing was better than the other... blah blah blah... oh helpppp... What's wrong with people?

Old 12-28-2016, 12:18 PM

2,046 posts, read 3,359,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
I thought it was sweet. I'm not even conservative, and I think the negative reaction is ridiculous. He was sharing his first reaction to seeing her, and amended it to include what he found out when he got to know her.
That's how i see it.

All he knew was what she looked like... which sadly is all some people rely on when it comes to ANYbody.

He found out more, and shared it.

Old 12-28-2016, 12:20 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,436,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
Steve Martin deletes Twitter tribute to Carrie Fisher after backlash | Fox News

"On Tuesday, the comic wrote in a since-deleted tweet, "When I was a young man, Carrie Fisher was the most beautiful creature I had ever seen. She turned out to be witty and bright as well.""
I don't see anything wrong with that. Back in his day, it was normal for men to not think women were smart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events